Aggravation in inverse proportion to amount paid?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Guests with donated GC have already stated they don't like tomorrow's breakfast, they must have a TV tonight so can we make sure no other guests use the one in the living room and have started receiving phone calls on the inn phone.

Only had one GC (donated) that was a PITA. I do not donate to that group any longer. Had several Oh, I just found it and it is going to expire can you extend? plus that one PITA and decided they were not bringing any other business so sayonara.
You have my sympathies.

Only had one GC (donated) that was a PITA. I do not donate to that group any longer. Had several Oh, I just found it and it is going to expire can you extend? plus that one PITA and decided they were not bringing any other business so sayonara.
You have my sympathies..
This is the 4th year I have done this group's auction. Not the best crowd of guests but the organization is worth supporting.

Why did they buy the gc then from the charity or whatever? I wonder if they were aware of what amenities that they would have (like no TV in room) before they bought this. That is weird.

Why did they buy the gc then from the charity or whatever? I wonder if they were aware of what amenities that they would have (like no TV in room) before they bought this. That is weird..
They buy it because they get a get bargain of a getaway for pennies on the dollar usually and they get to "feel good" for donating to the charity. I also think some people think the charity bought the GC and do not realize it was donated.
I am doing my part to educate that the credit card companies are taking from both ends. Many do not realize that we pay a fee for them to use that card. Some actually care.

Why did they buy the gc then from the charity or whatever? I wonder if they were aware of what amenities that they would have (like no TV in room) before they bought this. That is weird..
They buy it because they get a get bargain of a getaway for pennies on the dollar usually and they get to "feel good" for donating to the charity. I also think some people think the charity bought the GC and do not realize it was donated.
I am doing my part to educate that the credit card companies are taking from both ends. Many do not realize that we pay a fee for them to use that card. Some actually care.
Oh, I know this. I have been involved in getting donations for lots of organizations for various events. I guess I didn't phrase that very well. Even for "pennies on the dollar" I would not buy a gift certificate for a place that wasn't exactly what I was looking for, which is unfortunately what it looks like happened here. It seems like these people might have had an expectation that certain amenities would be in place at Bree's place.

The GC was won by a family member who gave it to them to come visit.

Oh, I know this. I have been involved in getting donations for lots of organizations for various events. I guess I didn't phrase that very well. Even for "pennies on the dollar" I would not buy a gift certificate for a place that wasn't exactly what I was looking for, which is unfortunately what it looks like happened here. It seems like these people might have had an expectation that certain amenities would be in place at Bree's place.
They called to book the room, they knew what they were getting. We usually will give them whatever room is available.

There is nothing PITA about wanting a tv. How could other guests use the tv at the same time anyway?
The debate is on tonight, and people want to watch. I would not go anyplace there is not a tv tonight either. It is a country-in-the-balance sort of an evening.

PS If you have but one tv for guests, you should have a fun night with the debate with everyone in there watching it. oi veigh!

There is nothing PITA about wanting a tv. How could other guests use the tv at the same time anyway?
The debate is on tonight, and people want to watch. I would not go anyplace there is not a tv tonight either. It is a country-in-the-balance sort of an evening..
That's what he wants to watch. They left. They went to the relative's house to watch TV.
It wasn't the idea of the TV it was the idea that we would 'hold' the TV for him and make sure he got to watch what he wanted. Quite frankly, this has been scheduled for awhile. He could have made sure he would get what he wanted when he booked.

The debate is on tonight, and people want to watch. I would not go anyplace there is not a tv tonight either. It is a country-in-the-balance sort of an evening..
That's what he wants to watch. They left. They went to the relative's house to watch TV.
It wasn't the idea of the TV it was the idea that we would 'hold' the TV for him and make sure he got to watch what he wanted. Quite frankly, this has been scheduled for awhile. He could have made sure he would get what he wanted when he booked.
Bree said:
BREE! Come on. Be real here. This is important to many people right now, to see the biggest oldest bank collapse today, wall street and everything else is going haywire! We are on the brink and people NEED to have tv's. Unless there is some old hand crank radio lying around.
confused_smile.gif
or wait
poke.gif

Bree said:
BREE! Come on. Be real here. This is important to many people right now, to see the biggest oldest bank collapse today, wall street and everything else is going haywire! We are on the brink and people NEED to have tv's. Unless there is some old hand crank radio lying around.
confused_smile.gif
or wait
poke.gif

OK, I'll be real. No one is watching TV here. Living room is empty. Room that has a TV is out shopping.

Bree said:
confused_smile.gif
or wait
poke.gif

OK, I'll be real. No one is watching TV here. Living room is empty. Room that has a TV is out shopping.
No one here, either. Just got back from being out and I'm going to prep b'fast and go to bed. One couple is still out, the other seems to be also (could be wrong on that... they could have gone to bed early as they have a baby with them).
Found out today that a B&B I'd never heard of referred them to me because we take kids. I called them to say thank you... in an 8 minute conversation I felt like she was my twin sister separated at birth. We'll certainly recommend them if anyone is headed that way (about an hour straight north).
=)
Kk.

Bree said:
confused_smile.gif
or wait
poke.gif

No one watching it here, either. Our last check-in just arrived and everybody else is out to dinner or up on the porch or in their room.

Bree said:
confused_smile.gif
or wait
poke.gif

I guess your one guest left so that he wouldn't feel like he was monopolizing the TV then. I agree with JBJ...a lot happening that I would think most folks would want to stay informed about. Even if people are getting away for a vacation, there are some important, possibly history changing events going on.

PS If you have but one tv for guests, you should have a fun night with the debate with everyone in there watching it. oi veigh!.
one guest tv here -- guests watching a movie. four women who met up here each has a room to herself. one lone couple in a fifth room went to bed shortly after arrival.
we had walkins - not wanting a room - looking for a place to watch the debate as tv in their rental cottage was out. we sent them to a place in rockland. no interest in the debate expressed by guests here.
i have had guests ask about reserving the tv in the past (not last nite) but i really cannot do that.

PS If you have but one tv for guests, you should have a fun night with the debate with everyone in there watching it. oi veigh!.
one guest tv here -- guests watching a movie. four women who met up here each has a room to herself. one lone couple in a fifth room went to bed shortly after arrival.
we had walkins - not wanting a room - looking for a place to watch the debate as tv in their rental cottage was out. we sent them to a place in rockland. no interest in the debate expressed by guests here.
i have had guests ask about reserving the tv in the past (not last nite) but i really cannot do that.
seashanty said:
First seating at breakfast, all are discussing the debate they watched. 3 rooms. 70's couple researching family history. 40's couple here for parents weekend at local college, and 50's couple here for a wine fest.

seashanty said:
First seating at breakfast, all are discussing the debate they watched. 3 rooms. 70's couple researching family history. 40's couple here for parents weekend at local college, and 50's couple here for a wine fest.
interesting. no discussion of politics in the breakfast room today so far.

seashanty said:
seashanty said:
I was hoping for that myself, but the conversation stayed civil and changed to an event down the street today.
One of my latest abilities to toss under my belt is the ability to walk in during a discussion and be the quick change artist. "Here is the flyer for the bluegrass festival" and they pass it around. Done with politics.
omg_smile.gif

Back