aieechihuahua's link - in grant post - made my computer crash

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
reading the grant writing post, i tried to go to the link of a video posted and my computer crashed.
i have eset smart security and adaware etc. don't know what the trouble is.
don't know if it's my computer or something in the link ...... something is wrong. am posting this and going now to run my cleaning programs.

It is just a website. I have been visiting it for months. Please let us know if you find anything. What program are you using to view videos?

I don't see anything of danger on there. It does pull in content from many sources at the same time and it may just have opened too many connections and run to many scripts for your browser to keep up with. I watched the available resources on my computer dip pretty low as it tapped into twiter and paypal and several other widgets.
No malicious code, just a resource hog (not a derogatory term). ;)

I don't see anything of danger on there. It does pull in content from many sources at the same time and it may just have opened too many connections and run to many scripts for your browser to keep up with. I watched the available resources on my computer dip pretty low as it tapped into twiter and paypal and several other widgets.
No malicious code, just a resource hog (not a derogatory term). ;).
swirt - what does she have on the site to make this happen? I worry I have too much crap on my blog since it loads slow. I am using low res images - so I know it isn't that. I would like to tell Rosa Linda what is happening with some people when using her site. Please contact me off line if this is too much of a diversion for the forum.

swirt - what does she have on the site to make this happen? I worry I have too much crap on my blog since it loads slow. I am using low res images - so I know it isn't that. I would like to tell Rosa Linda what is happening with some people when using her site. Please contact me off line if this is too much of a diversion for the forum.
I don't think it is any one thing...it is the collection of a bunch of things. As I look down the code on the page there are multiple connections being made to sites that are not that site. example: when you have a blog and you link to pictures that are on the same server then it is only one connection to that server. BUt if you have your blog and you load an image from flicker and one from your favorite recipe site and one from your friend's site, it is now additional connections (in addition to the connection getting the info for your page)
On the site in question it is just a lot of connecitons and scripts running:
getting images from paypal, loading a tracker script from google, loading a tracker script from web stats, loading a widget from twitter ....
All those connections on a computer that is already doing a lot of other things (if the user has lots running or not much memory) is just going to bog things down and may bring a crash like happened in Seashanty's case. It may be that if SeaShanty restarted her machine and went to the site first, their might be no problem, but if she opens a few other pieces of software (email, word, picasa..) and then opens the site, her machine may not have the resources to handle everything.

I don't think it is any one thing...it is the collection of a bunch of things. As I look down the code on the page there are multiple connections being made to sites that are not that site. example: when you have a blog and you link to pictures that are on the same server then it is only one connection to that server. BUt if you have your blog and you load an image from flicker and one from your favorite recipe site and one from your friend's site, it is now additional connections (in addition to the connection getting the info for your page)
getting images from paypal, loading a tracker script from google, loading a tracker script from web stats, loading a widget from twitter ....
All those connections on a computer that is already doing a lot of other things (if the user has lots running or not much memory) is just going to bog things down and may bring a crash like happened in Seashanty's case. It may be that if SeaShanty restarted her machine and went to the site first, their might be no problem, but if she opens a few other pieces of software (email, word, picasa..) and then opens the site, her machine may not have the resources to handle everything.
On my blog, I have loaded all the pictures right from my computer to the blog, except for the background image, which is the offender in all likelyhood. I'm gonna take off some stuff, upload the background directly and see what happens. Thanks, swirt.

On my blog, I have loaded all the pictures right from my computer to the blog, except for the background image, which is the offender in all likelyhood. I'm gonna take off some stuff, upload the background directly and see what happens. Thanks, swirt.
If you want me to, I'll take a quick look at your blog tomorrow (off duty for the night ;) ) and see if I spot anything that might be the culprit in slowing your blog down.

The "city fix" thing seems to be the culprit. All of your images were fine, but the city fix widget was trying to connect to api.ning.com for several minutes. I'm not quite sure what it is trying to connect to or why...but I would bet it is the cause of the slow loading.

The "city fix" thing seems to be the culprit. All of your images were fine, but the city fix widget was trying to connect to api.ning.com for several minutes. I'm not quite sure what it is trying to connect to or why...but I would bet it is the cause of the slow loading.
The Duke City Fix was undergoing site maintenance. It seems to be loading fine now when I checked it last. Also - I took off the Google Map widget, figuring if anyone wanted to know more about the B&B they would use the link to go there. And the video that was up on my blog has moved into the archive, so that helped too. Thanks so much for checking, swirt.
BTW - I am enjoying your other site with all the helpful hints, and I AM learning.
Also...did you check out the Duke City Fix? It has gained some national notoriety for being one of the best city blog forums in the US, and it's where I got my first start at blogging. It is a great format in that everyone has their own page to blog and get comments, but discussions are going on all the time too. And the groups are a hoot. They can be started by any member and cover any topic. One of our past guests/now-friend-who-live-here started it. Ning is the platform they used. And I have two identities there. One for the B&B, and one to get more political and opinionated. Funny thing is - I get political and opinionated on both! LOL

The Duke City Fix was undergoing site maintenance. It seems to be loading fine now when I checked it last. Also - I took off the Google Map widget, figuring if anyone wanted to know more about the B&B they would use the link to go there. And the video that was up on my blog has moved into the archive, so that helped too. Thanks so much for checking, swirt.
BTW - I am enjoying your other site with all the helpful hints, and I AM learning.
Also...did you check out the Duke City Fix? It has gained some national notoriety for being one of the best city blog forums in the US, and it's where I got my first start at blogging. It is a great format in that everyone has their own page to blog and get comments, but discussions are going on all the time too. And the groups are a hoot. They can be started by any member and cover any topic. One of our past guests/now-friend-who-live-here started it. Ning is the platform they used. And I have two identities there. One for the B&B, and one to get more political and opinionated. Funny thing is - I get political and opinionated on both! LOL
Yah Nings are kind of cool for community type things. I didn't check out the Duke City one specifically. Great to hear how you are using it though. It would be a great thing to write an article or even just a post on here about how it fits into your marketing of your place.

Back