Air BnB Article

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Como Depot

Reaction score
Interesting article
http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2013/sep/16/airbnb-travel-revolution?commentpage=1
Now providing Insurance, which does make sense. Just an on cost to the booking fee.

How do you insure tax evasion? Violation of law? Around here, most of those listed are illegal, don't have their licence, don't declare their income, don't have proper insurance (which is why they don't have their licence), don't have proper safety equipment, don't know a thing about health and safety. Thankfully the government has started to act, overtly and hidden. From what I have been told, the revenue department is sitting on tax letters waiting for the season to be over to minimize the effect on tourists and going to collect the taxes.
I'm just waiting for AirResto... invite people into your home for food poisoning. How about AirNTerTain, you sing musical theatre for strangers? And finally AirMeth, you invite them to do their cook at your place with pictures of Walt and Jesse in the background.

How do you insure tax evasion? Violation of law? Around here, most of those listed are illegal, don't have their licence, don't declare their income, don't have proper insurance (which is why they don't have their licence), don't have proper safety equipment, don't know a thing about health and safety. Thankfully the government has started to act, overtly and hidden. From what I have been told, the revenue department is sitting on tax letters waiting for the season to be over to minimize the effect on tourists and going to collect the taxes.
I'm just waiting for AirResto... invite people into your home for food poisoning. How about AirNTerTain, you sing musical theatre for strangers? And finally AirMeth, you invite them to do their cook at your place with pictures of Walt and Jesse in the background..
Sugar Bear said:
I'm just waiting for AirResto... invite people into your home for food poisoning. How about AirNTerTain, you sing musical theatre for strangers? And finally AirMeth, you invite them to do their cook at your place with pictures of Walt and Jesse in the background.
I'll be giggling about this all day. Haha
teeth_smile.gif
Thanks!

Ive just done a comment - if you don't like crappy overpriced hotels - book a B&B!!!!!

Well it may be providing Insurance for the host in case of theft but what about liability insurance? Is that covered? We all fear someone to trip or fall down the stairs.... Homeowner's insurance will not cover PAYING guests accidents. This is what most of these people do not understand. They are putting their homes and futures at risk.
On the flip side, I have taken note that Airbnb's website now has a separate tab for B&B's. Not sure how long that has been there. In a very brief look around the site I am becoming more impressed with how it is set up. I like the FB style of guests & hosts.

Well it may be providing Insurance for the host in case of theft but what about liability insurance? Is that covered? We all fear someone to trip or fall down the stairs.... Homeowner's insurance will not cover PAYING guests accidents. This is what most of these people do not understand. They are putting their homes and futures at risk.
On the flip side, I have taken note that Airbnb's website now has a separate tab for B&B's. Not sure how long that has been there. In a very brief look around the site I am becoming more impressed with how it is set up. I like the FB style of guests & hosts..
Actually, people don't read the policy, it kicks in only after you have maximized your insurance (and I think only if you are legal). Doesn't stop someone from using your place for a meth cook, sex tape or prostitution ring, though.

So I just did a search on my town. Most everyone of them are just cabin rentals and not cheap prices either. Just someplace else for Cabin owners to list their properties.

On the flip side, I have taken note that Airbnb's website now has a separate tab for B&B's. Not sure how long that has been there. In a very brief look around the site I am becoming more impressed with how it is set up. I like the FB style of guests & hosts..
Actually, people don't read the policy, it kicks in only after you have maximized your insurance (and I think only if you are legal). Doesn't stop someone from using your place for a meth cook, sex tape or prostitution ring, though.
If that is the case the Ins is not worth the paper on which it is printed. There is no way a homeowner's policy will cover a PAYing guest damage.
And then there is the other issue mentioned in the article where the host is not the owner. I can only imagine what kind of mess that would bring about if there was property damage. I am sure most rental policies have a no sublease clause.

If that is the case the Ins is not worth the paper on which it is printed. There is no way a homeowner's policy will cover a PAYing guest damage.
And then there is the other issue mentioned in the article where the host is not the owner. I can only imagine what kind of mess that would bring about if there was property damage. I am sure most rental policies have a no sublease clause.
Around here, there is another problem. We have condos and coops and in both case the entire buildings insurance is insured under one policy for fire and damage. But subletting illegally would violate the policy... and so the whole building could end up losing!

Sugar Bear said:
It is not primary coverage and they reserve the subrogation rights. Nor is their any Liability coverage.
What amuses me is that they say it is free.
The legalities, well they operate world wide so trying to say what you need in your town/country/state/country is not really their issue. They are when it comes down to it a booking agency.
Does anybody use them, can you just use it to direct business to your web site?

I'm just waiting for AirResto... invite people into your home for food poisoning. How about AirNTerTain, you sing musical theatre for strangers? And finally AirMeth, you invite them to do their cook at your place with pictures of Walt and Jesse in the background..
Wait no more, AirResto is here! http://www.eatwith.com/

I can't wait until people get fined for not having a commercial kitchen or not having taken the food safety course. And of course the first case of gastro won't be fun either.

I am with Sugar Bear...no way would I be dining in a stranger's house...first thing I thought of...food poisoning.

I am with Sugar Bear...no way would I be dining in a stranger's house...first thing I thought of...food poisoning.
Can you imagine ruining your whole vacation because they decided they didn't need to wash the lettuce thoroughly. Or they cross contaminated the chicken juice into everything. Not going there...

I can't wait until people get fined for not having a commercial kitchen or not having taken the food safety course. And of course the first case of gastro won't be fun either.
I think they're attempting to get around all that by having the cost listed as a "Donation." But it doesn't look like there's any way to book and make a lower "donation." So not sure how much that little trick will cover them if there's a problem or complaint and the authorities start looking into these home "restaurants."

A few years ago we took a Mediterranean cruise and there were several tours that included a stop at an Italian home for a home cooked meal. We did not choose one of them but spoke to several who did. I questioned if they were really homes or small restaurants. They all said intimate homes.

A few years ago we took a Mediterranean cruise and there were several tours that included a stop at an Italian home for a home cooked meal. We did not choose one of them but spoke to several who did. I questioned if they were really homes or small restaurants. They all said intimate homes.
Those kind of homes are doing it as a business or part of their agri tourismo. A whole lot different than an air b nb resto

Food Safety Course?
Is that an Insurer requirement?

Food Safety Course?

Food Safety Course?
Government requirement around here.

Back