Air Host Service Fee

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arks

Reaction score
Maybe this has been there for a while, but I just noticed that, in addition to charging the guest a service fee, Air is now charging the host a 3% host service fee that they deduct from the host's payout. So I'll be raising my Air rates 3%.

Forever. You have to raise your rate more than the 3% to get your full rack rate. I think they started in other countries, but air is charging the full 15% to the host and nothing to the guest. That’s something to keep an eye on.

Maybe this has been there for a while, but I just noticed that, in addition to charging the guest a service fee, Air is now charging the host a 3% host service fee that they deduct from the host's payout. So I'll be raising my Air rates 3%.
Yes, they have been charging us 3% since we joined. However, I consider this a great deal, as we avoid a 2.3-3.0% credit card fee, so it's virtually a wash!!

I set my Air fees at our rate plus a $30 cleaning fee. I make my description so that unless they are a dull knife they can find us online easily and see they will save a ton by booking direct. If they do book through Air, as nearly 100 do each year, and they are American then I give them the 'you never add a middle man and save money' lecture. If they are foreign I just smile.

I set my Air fees at our rate plus a $30 cleaning fee. I make my description so that unless they are a dull knife they can find us online easily and see they will save a ton by booking direct. If they do book through Air, as nearly 100 do each year, and they are American then I give them the 'you never add a middle man and save money' lecture. If they are foreign I just smile.
I like the way you think. 😉

Forever. You have to raise your rate more than the 3% to get your full rack rate. I think they started in other countries, but air is charging the full 15% to the host and nothing to the guest. That’s something to keep an eye on.
Yes, for us they started charging 15% all to the host and nothing to the guest (we are not in the US) a couple months ago. The factor here is if you are managing rates and availability via a channel manager or not. If you are doing through a channel manager, they charge you 15%.

It felt so under the table that, of course, I immediately raised our rates to Air customers.

Not sure I understand. You only add $30 (cleaning fee) to your AirB price, but people save a ton of money by booking direct. Is the extra $30 in Airb the savings you are referring too if they book direct?

Not sure I understand. You only add $30 (cleaning fee) to your AirB price, but people save a ton of money by booking direct. Is the extra $30 in Airb the savings you are referring too if they book direct?
Example: What the customer pays
Book through us directly $149 plus about $15 in taxes = guest pays total of $164 for one night
Net to us $149
Book through Airbnb $149 plus $30 cleaning fee plus $36 fee to airbnb plus taxes of about $18 = guest pays total of $233
Net to us $170

I word my listings on Airbnb so that anyone with a brain can use google and find us. If they do they save almost $70

Would love to see your wording....
My listing states we’re a licensed b&b and there’s a photo of the sign. However, we’ve found that it’s the rare person who will ‘take a chance’ on a b&b when they can book an Airbnb room instead.

I’ve also had guests argue with me that there are no fees and it’s cheaper to book thru air.

Yeah, we have Air and OTA guests who don't believe me when I tell them they're paying more. I just shrug my shoulders.

Back