Air newbie

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put 'the plague room' on Air. It is very small. I price on Air with taxes included. Our B&B name is on the listing so they know its a business. I've long had the apartment on Air, but just a couple of months ago added the inside room, because as others have noted, we were the only B&B in the area that had not done so.
Our second set of Air inside room guests just left, happy. It was their first Air experience as well as their first B&B experience.
Cancellations are done thru Air. You have a choice of days required for cancellation. a couple of bookings have canceled within the limit. We got paid. If they were unhappy it was up to Air to deal. No pleading. That was nice.
One thing happened recently. I had an Air person cancel and book not so far away, so I sent her some information on local places in the area she shouldn't miss. She like the note so much she canceled the booking she had made previously and rebooked with us. She then had two cancellation fees, and Air won't refund, as least not so far. So I will have to be extra nice when she gets here to overcome that little problem..
Where did you put the cancellation info? I don't see that anywhere. Is it in your listing or is it a separate page I haven't found yet?
Fixed

I just recently decided to test the waters. I put the taxes as extra and collected here because otherwise they need to pay commission on them and of course it inflates my price next to those (almost all) who are illegal. I also changed some of the offering. It's one room at the moment only!
What's different? Doesn't include the daily housekeeping, schedule change of sheets, etc. Has a maximum stay. They also cannot book our garage space, even at extra charge, it's street parking only AYOR. It includes a continental breakfast only. I did put that they can have full breakfast for an extra charge, but I'm thinking that maybe I shouldn't offer it at all.

Frankly, I think that's going to be the big torture for them... having to smell my full freshly cooked breakfast wafting through the house. In fact, I'm contemplating saying that breakfast is not available for reservations via AirBnB, just coffee or tea... or maybe not even that..
Do you really want to let the room go untended?
I can see adding breakfast on, tho. I'd send them that info in the confirmation. Additional $15/person for full breakfast.

I'm a newbie on air. Only about 3 months now and I've had 3 reservations. The first one called me direct and I gave her the same rate. The second one is here right now. Really nice people and very happy.
Mort, check out my listing on air and you can see where I've made it VERY clear we're licensed and inspected and that they need to pay our lodging taxes on arrival. I first listed our cheapest room with a big discount. I need to get some reviews so others will trust staying with us. They can only do a review if they've stayed through a reservation with air. So I still don't have any until these guests we have now do one.
I've now listed a second room, our most expensive, stand alone unit. I think I need to do a big discount (I haven't yet) just to get people in here to do reviews.
Everything is done through the air site, and you will get e-mail notification when someone puts in a request. Be sure to do request only so you won't have any double bookings. It's also a way to upsell if that room is no long available when put through their request. Just offer them another room and you can always give them a discounted rate since the commissions on air are very low..
That's a very extensive listing! Good job. I like that you can put in that you have other rooms and here's who we are, look us up online.
Morticia said:
That's a very extensive listing! Good job. I like that you can put in that you have other rooms and here's who we are, look us up online.
Thanks! I used our b&b name all over our listing, so who knows how many people will go to our website and book. Once we get some reviews I'll make the discount less.
I finally got tired of banging my head on the wall about air, so if you can't beat them, join them.
Also, by not including the taxes, it helps keep the price down to compete with others who are not collecting taxes.
Is there a W-9 form in the signup or is that something extra I have to find and send in?
Morticia said:
Is there a W-9 form in the signup or is that something extra I have to find and send in?
They have you do the W-9 the first time they pay you.
I figured out how to have Air pick up my ResKey availability calendar. It's not instant like Booking, but Air polls ResKey every 15 minutes or so for the calendar, so it's a lot more accurate than me updating it manually like I have to do with VBRO.
Arks said:
Morticia said:
I figured out how to have Air pick up my ResKey availability calendar. It's not instant like Booking, but Air polls ResKey every 15 minutes or so for the calendar, so it's a lot more accurate than me updating it manually like I have to do with VBRO.
How did you get the calendar to work like that? I need that part!
Morticia said:
Arks said:
When I set up with Booking I found that I had to also open an account with myallocator. Myallocator reads my ResKey calendar and passes it on to Booking.
So when I signed up with Air, I checked the supported channels list in myallocator and luckily Air is on their list. So it was easy to make the connection between Air and myallocator.

Late to the party, but have had one or our cottages listed on Air for over a year -- have had two or three stays and a couple more inquiries; added two other cottages earlier this spring. Have the availability calendars driven by ResKey. We mention in the description that we will collect the lodging tax (and pet fee, if applicable) upon arrival.

I'm a newbie on air. Only about 3 months now and I've had 3 reservations. The first one called me direct and I gave her the same rate. The second one is here right now. Really nice people and very happy.
Mort, check out my listing on air and you can see where I've made it VERY clear we're licensed and inspected and that they need to pay our lodging taxes on arrival. I first listed our cheapest room with a big discount. I need to get some reviews so others will trust staying with us. They can only do a review if they've stayed through a reservation with air. So I still don't have any until these guests we have now do one.
I've now listed a second room, our most expensive, stand alone unit. I think I need to do a big discount (I haven't yet) just to get people in here to do reviews.
Everything is done through the air site, and you will get e-mail notification when someone puts in a request. Be sure to do request only so you won't have any double bookings. It's also a way to upsell if that room is no long available when put through their request. Just offer them another room and you can always give them a discounted rate since the commissions on air are very low..
Morticia said:
Thanks! I used our b&b name all over our listing, so who knows how many people will go to our website and book. Once we get some reviews I'll make the discount less.
I finally got tired of banging my head on the wall about air, so if you can't beat them, join them.
Also, by not including the taxes, it helps keep the price down to compete with others who are not collecting taxes.
Morticia said:
Arks said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Arks said:
When I set up with Booking I found that I had to also open an account with myallocator. Myallocator reads my ResKey calendar and passes it on to Booking.
So when I signed up with Air, I checked the supported channels list in myallocator and luckily Air is on their list. So it was easy to make the connection between Air and myallocator.
I guess I need to contact my booking system and ask about this.

I joined early on ( 5 yrs ago ?) . I am a VRBO ( vacation rental by owner & BnB) Realized all VRBO's here were listed on AirBnB, so that how I joined, .I offer 2 rooms and its done as a request reservation. If reservation is accepted I call them get their e-mail address and more info if needed. Then send them my Confirmation as it has tons of info for them. Most AirBnB's here call at the last minute, so often turned down but I make about $5,000.00 or less per year which is not bad for a tiny 3 room BnB.........
shades_smile.gif
So you get an email from air saying you have a request or you have to log in and check?
I get an e-mail. I have had 3 reservations because of Air. #1 - their daughter worked for air & then she was worried the request had nor gone through so she called me - ended up as a direct rez - no commission. #2 & #3 booked and both cancelled. One cancelled say before & I was worried about "now what?" - Air paid. #2 cancelled well in advance so I thought nothing of it. Such is life. Air paid. I held the check for over a week waiting to hear it was a mistake. No hear so ka-ching. I had to fill out a tax form for them.

Late to the party, but have had one or our cottages listed on Air for over a year -- have had two or three stays and a couple more inquiries; added two other cottages earlier this spring. Have the availability calendars driven by ResKey. We mention in the description that we will collect the lodging tax (and pet fee, if applicable) upon arrival..
Harborfields said:
Late to the party, but have had one or our cottages listed on Air for over a year -- have had two or three stays and a couple more inquiries; added two other cottages earlier this spring. Have the availability calendars driven by ResKey. We mention in the description that we will collect the lodging tax (and pet fee, if applicable) upon arrival.
Do you offer the cottage for the same rate as on your website?

Late to the party, but have had one or our cottages listed on Air for over a year -- have had two or three stays and a couple more inquiries; added two other cottages earlier this spring. Have the availability calendars driven by ResKey. We mention in the description that we will collect the lodging tax (and pet fee, if applicable) upon arrival..
Harborfields said:
Yes, and no. We use our shoulder-season rate. My impression so far is that Air travelers are not necessarily last minute but more short notice, maybe planning their trip only a week or two ahead. In our peak season (when our pricing is higher), we are usually already booked.

Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Arks said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Arks said:
We drive Air's calendar directly from ResKey using the iCal links that ResKey can generate (these just show availability, not pricing). So you might check to see whether your booking system supports iCal linking.
Doesn't apply to you, but for the others that have a foot in the Vacation Rental market -- We're connected to FlipKey and VacationHomeRentals (both owned by TA) this way, too, except that FlipKey apparently has a known bug so hasn't been accepting the data properly, and VacationHomeRentals isn't reliably refreshing the link automatically. VRBO/HA also use iCal for exporting availability data from their calendar system, but they have such a high opinion of themselves that they refuse to accept incoming availability data from other sources (which just sucks).

Harborfields said:
Yes, and no. We use our shoulder-season rate. My impression so far is that Air travelers are not necessarily last minute but more short notice, maybe planning their trip only a week or two ahead. In our peak season (when our pricing is higher), we are usually already booked.
Was just looking at one of our competitors on Air - they seem to be attracting a lot of attention by having a very low off-season price. Of course, their prices are graduated and comparable to ours during peak season, but starting with the very low entry price seems to be working for them....

Harborfields said:
Was just looking at one of our competitors on Air - they seem to be attracting a lot of attention by having a very low off-season price. Of course, their prices are graduated and comparable to ours during peak season, but starting with the very low entry price seems to be working for them....
Most of the prices here, for my usual comp, are very close to their usual rates. Of course, you can get a whole house with water views for $95 so it's all over the place for pricing.
Air couldn't suggest a price because the price comparison tool said there weren't enough listings to compare. Close to 600 isn't enough?
As Gomez said, that's the whole hotel inventory in town.

Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Arks said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Arks said:
We drive Air's calendar directly from ResKey using the iCal links that ResKey can generate (these just show availability, not pricing). So you might check to see whether your booking system supports iCal linking.
Doesn't apply to you, but for the others that have a foot in the Vacation Rental market -- We're connected to FlipKey and VacationHomeRentals (both owned by TA) this way, too, except that FlipKey apparently has a known bug so hasn't been accepting the data properly, and VacationHomeRentals isn't reliably refreshing the link automatically. VRBO/HA also use iCal for exporting availability data from their calendar system, but they have such a high opinion of themselves that they refuse to accept incoming availability data from other sources (which just sucks).
Harborfields said:
VRBO/HA also use iCal for exporting availability data from their calendar system, but they have such a high opinion of themselves that they refuse to accept incoming availability data from other sources (which just sucks).
I'm dropping VRBO after my current contract expires. Not enough rentals for the money it costs, plus the trouble of having to manually update the calendar, plus 3 of the last 4 inquiries I've had turned out to be people from Russia or their former satellites wanting to book a suspiciously high number of rooms and nights but refusing to pay a deposit by credit card.

Air sends me a text and an email - I have it set to reservation request ie I accept or decline so can't be over booked
I get a lot of requests but usually when we are already full - also which is handy is if a request comes through and you are full it says " would you like us to block those dates out" so you don't have to keep updating.

One problem I see with the listing is the text days there is a minimum ONE night stay on weekends but the calendar shows differently. Maybe I'm missing where the text gets entered?
Ok, second problem - l'm only allowing 2 adults but the text says, 'no charge for extra guests.' I've stated in a couple of places up to 2 adult guests only. No one is going to read that, right? ;-)

Not sure what you're asking on the minimum stay. Do you want a 1 night minimum on all stays, or do you want a 2 night min. on weekends?
--------------
Under Listing, at the bottom, Listing Info, do you have it set to Accommodates 2?

Ah, I think I see what you mean. I have mine set to 2 night minimum on weekends, and if I try to make a reservation it does force me to book 2 nights on a weekend. But in the general description it gives the guest it says "Availability: On Fridays and Saturdays the minimum stay is 1 night."
That's not text we enter. It writes the text based on settings we have made, so i don't know why it's not picking up the weekend minimum the way the calendar does. A bug?

One problem I see with the listing is the text days there is a minimum ONE night stay on weekends but the calendar shows differently. Maybe I'm missing where the text gets entered?
Ok, second problem - l'm only allowing 2 adults but the text says, 'no charge for extra guests.' I've stated in a couple of places up to 2 adult guests only. No one is going to read that, right? ;-).
Morticia said:
Ok, second problem - l'm only allowing 2 adults but the text says, 'no charge for extra guests.' I've stated in a couple of places up to 2 adult guests only. No one is going to read that, right? ;-)
Another great reason to make it 'request' only. Then you get to message them and you can state it's for x days with x number of people.

Not sure what you're asking on the minimum stay. Do you want a 1 night minimum on all stays, or do you want a 2 night min. on weekends?
--------------
Under Listing, at the bottom, Listing Info, do you have it set to Accommodates 2?.
Arks said:
--------------
Under Listing, at the bottom, Listing Info, do you have it set to Accommodates 2?
I have it set for 2 but the pricing description states there is no charge for extra people. I'm wondering what guests read. Just seems like if you don't allow extra people then why even mention them?

Back