Air travel

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
I don't fly much. I didn't have my requisite 1 qt, clear plastic, zip lock baggie with me at the airport because I didn't think I had anything in my purse that required being duly protected from who knows what by being encased in a 1 qt, clear plastic, zip lock baggie. So, I threw my purse in the plastic bin and it sailed thru the screening. That was on the way out. On the way back was a whole other story. Same purse, same items in the purse but this screener didn't like my travel-size hand lotion and waved it at me demanding the plastic baggie. OK, the purse was thru the scanner, she had the lotion in her hand, it was fait accompli. I did not NEED the baggie once the purse was thru the screening so why demand it when she had the lotion in her hand?
Ah me. Luckily, it was a free lotion from a previous trip. In the trash it went. Why? Because I couldn't have it back without the 1 qt, clear plastic, zip lock baggie.

Yep, for carry-ons you can't have any container more than 3 oz. of liquid; and all of them must fit in no larger than a clear 1 qt zip top bag. I always check the TSA site before flying because it seems to change often.

WOW. Thank you for the info as I had NO idea. Will stuff one in my pocket. Not planning to travel w/any liquid. Figue it is easier to by it there - not cheaper, but easier.

Yep, for carry-ons you can't have any container more than 3 oz. of liquid; and all of them must fit in no larger than a clear 1 qt zip top bag. I always check the TSA site before flying because it seems to change often..
No problem however with my mouthwash. I forgot that was in there. That sailed thru. The lotion probably fell out so she found it.

WOW. Thank you for the info as I had NO idea. Will stuff one in my pocket. Not planning to travel w/any liquid. Figue it is easier to by it there - not cheaper, but easier..
I thought everything 'bad' was in the checked bags. I even threw my inhaler in the checked bag as I was giving it to the attendant. But totally forgot about the lotion and the mouthwash that was in my purse.

Its so funny cause when we went home at Christmas and the kids just HAD TO HAVE my christmas cookies I truly thought that it would be tossed out. We put them all in tupperware containers but one of the cookies were drenched in powdered sugar...they let it all go in the bag that we put them in, amazing. You just never know I guess it just takes one stupid screener huh? Now that they charge you for your bag everyone is carrying on. I took powder with me when I went last summer and because it was the regular size shower-shower the screener looked at it and said-this is a nono and I had just bought it-she said that she could test it I should have done it just to waste her time I had plenty of time-but I didnt and she threw it out. The funny thing is that I had another bath powder in the original small round package and they did not look at that-that makes no sense to me.

Just a side note on air travel here- on the last leg of our very long day (our first flight got in 35 minutes early making our layover close to 4 hours and the last flight went out 25 minutes late due to weather) the TV's on the plane didn't work. Not that it was important to me and no one really said anything that I overheard, but it is a big feature the airline touts.
Today I received, unasked, a credit for $15 for each of the tix I bought. Next time I travel, which airline I am looking at first? You betcha, the one that credited me for a service that didn't work without me even needing to pick up the phone. Jet Blue.
The one that didn't charge me for my checked bags or my carry on bags. The one that didn't charge me for the soda, water & cookies that everyone used to have for free even when the meals were all gone. The one that had free WiFi at the airports. And the one with the flight attendant who had everyone laughing when she rapped about turning off the cellphones because 'Mama don't want no drama.'
Even the captain came on and said, 'Heck, I'm turning off MY cellphone, that woman scares me.'

Just a side note on air travel here- on the last leg of our very long day (our first flight got in 35 minutes early making our layover close to 4 hours and the last flight went out 25 minutes late due to weather) the TV's on the plane didn't work. Not that it was important to me and no one really said anything that I overheard, but it is a big feature the airline touts.
Today I received, unasked, a credit for $15 for each of the tix I bought. Next time I travel, which airline I am looking at first? You betcha, the one that credited me for a service that didn't work without me even needing to pick up the phone. Jet Blue.
The one that didn't charge me for my checked bags or my carry on bags. The one that didn't charge me for the soda, water & cookies that everyone used to have for free even when the meals were all gone. The one that had free WiFi at the airports. And the one with the flight attendant who had everyone laughing when she rapped about turning off the cellphones because 'Mama don't want no drama.'
Even the captain came on and said, 'Heck, I'm turning off MY cellphone, that woman scares me.'.
Alibi Ike said:
And the one with the flight attendant who had everyone laughing when she rapped about turning off the cellphones because 'Mama don't want no drama.'
Even the captain came on and said, 'Heck, I'm turning off MY cellphone, that woman scares me.'
All of your other reasons would make me consider them, too...but this sealed it! :)

Meds like inhalers are OK. Any liquids or gels are not OK unless they are in the one quart zip lock. Just remember 3-1-1 (3 ounces in one, 1 Quart bag). The ATL airport has an area before security where they hand out free zip locks for folks who didn't know the TSA rules before getting to the airport.
regular_smile.gif

Try flying internationally....
When you come back thru ATL you go thru Customs, then Honeland security. You actually have to retrieve your checked baggage and then send it back through a checked system before going through security yourself AGAIN before going to claim your bags for the final time if ATL is your fnal destination. Connecting flights have the bags go to their next flight, of course and those folks also go through security again.
Did I mention that in the UK you go through security too when you leave the country? Did I also mention that they have dogs that go through the line of travelers before even boarding the plane to depart their country? It is definitely redundant.

Back