airbnb/city/bed and breakfast

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlie may

Reaction score
I met with the business licensing department in our city today regarding the licensing of airbnb members. There are 60 listings on airbnb and 10 legal b and b's in the city. Three legal b and b's also list with airbnb, no problem with that. Was not expecting too much out of the city but at least tried. The city licensing department is complaint driven. If there is a formal, written complaint, then action will be taken. It is not their mandate to be compliance driven. They agree it is not fair. So I guess nothing will happen to the legal ones if they decide to not pay the licensing fee every year!!. They said they would look into it and see if there was anything they could do and get back to me. Whoop-ti-do. Any comments?l

It appears every town/city government is complaint driven. We had a b&b here that never renewed their license. No one ever went after them.
But when they complained about another b&b preparing lunch, they got the other b&b in trouble.

Here, the city government is definitely fee driven. They want their licensing fees, and if they discover a business operating without a city license, they go after it. They want that money!

Does the city have a city tourism tax? A commercial property tax? Are they serving food? Do you have to have a business licence? Do these people have a business licence?
Do you know how to use Google Maps and other tools to recognize their homes? Are they paying and declaring the income on their income tax? Have you called CRA tip line?

Does the city have a city tourism tax? A commercial property tax? Are they serving food? Do you have to have a business licence? Do these people have a business licence?
Do you know how to use Google Maps and other tools to recognize their homes? Are they paying and declaring the income on their income tax? Have you called CRA tip line?.
You need a business license. Then, all on their own, one has to go to the health department, and then the fire department, and then the provincial tax department and then the federal tax department. There is no hotel tax, as far as I know for bed and breakfasts. (I am out of the city) The different government departments all have their own agenda and policies. They don't seem to COMMUNICATE with one another!!! We really don't know if airbnb members are paying anything to anybody other than airbnb. Maybe some are. At least the legal ones are doing it all.
A few airbnb's serve food or have basic appliances for guests use.
Mr. and Mrs. Google and I are not real friendly. I will see if husband can bring up some addresses or pictures. The CRA won't do anything unless there is a written complaint for a specific business operation. They just laughed when I tried to tell them about airbnb.

Do you know how to use Google Maps and other tools to recognize their homes? Are they paying and declaring the income on their income tax? Have you called CRA tip line?.
You need a business license. Then, all on their own, one has to go to the health department, and then the fire department, and then the provincial tax department and then the federal tax department. There is no hotel tax, as far as I know for bed and breakfasts. (I am out of the city) The different government departments all have their own agenda and policies. They don't seem to COMMUNICATE with one another!!! We really don't know if airbnb members are paying anything to anybody other than airbnb. Maybe some are. At least the legal ones are doing it all.
Mr. and Mrs. Google and I are not real friendly. I will see if husband can bring up some addresses or pictures. The CRA won't do anything unless there is a written complaint for a specific business operation. They just laughed when I tried to tell them about airbnb.
The CRA has a website. Since these aren't properly operated business, it's their personal taxes which are wrong and can be declared.
The other side of all of this... they aren't properly insured if they don't have insurance for that business, so their mortgages are in default and their personal household insurance is in default, so they would be good people to send notices to. Banks don't like when their mortgages are in default. And there are only a few banks around to write mortgages :)

The CRA has a website. Since these aren't properly operated business, it's their personal taxes which are wrong and can be declared.
The other side of all of this... they aren't properly insured if they don't have insurance for that business, so their mortgages are in default and their personal household insurance is in default, so they would be good people to send notices to. Banks don't like when their mortgages are in default. And there are only a few banks around to write mortgages :)
But how is anybody going to find them ---name and addresses, etc? without spending more money? That's what the different agencies won't do. If all the government agencies and banks got together and did a big media or education package and put it in newspapers or do interviews with the local radio or TV channels, would that scare some out of the woods? Dunno. I just heard that 3 out of the 10 legal ones are going to shut down by the end of the summer. Too bad, huh? And they have tried so hard.

But how is anybody going to find them ---name and addresses, etc? without spending more money? That's what the different agencies won't do. If all the government agencies and banks got together and did a big media or education package and put it in newspapers or do interviews with the local radio or TV channels, would that scare some out of the woods? Dunno. I just heard that 3 out of the 10 legal ones are going to shut down by the end of the summer. Too bad, huh? And they have tried so hard.
Charlie, I found HUNDREDS without spending a single penny. You would be amazed how much information people put on the web, Canada411 provides and city and tax departments provide.

If all the government agencies and banks got together and did a big media or education package and put it in newspapers or do interviews with the local radio or TV channels, would that scare some out of the woods?
Excuse me, but this statement gives me the heebie-jeebies more than Air does. The last thing I need in my life is more government intervention. I think they look at my bank accounts more than they need to already. I want the government OUT of bed with my bank, not in it snuggled deeper. They have already invaded my privacy more than they were ever meant to or need to. The government can do the same thing we have done - look at Air listings for their area and see who is licensed and legal and who is not. It is not rocket science to identify those who are not legal. Most places it would take no more than a couple hours (more perhaps in large cities) to root them out. As has been posted on FB - the government can identify the location of the one cow with mad cow's disease but cannot locate 11 million illegals.
Perhaps the actual problem is they do not realize just how much money they are losing by NOT finding the Air hosts who have not bothered to be licensed.

Charlie, I found HUNDREDS without spending a single penny. You would be amazed how much information people put on the web, Canada411 provides and city and tax departments provide.
I don't understand that. How do you go about it? All I want is name and address. And maybe phone number.

Jon Sable---- Will you phone me on out 800 # 1-888-806-4378? It will work in Canada and the U.S. We are on central standard time. Thanks.

Jon Sable---- Will you phone me on out 800 # 1-888-806-4378? It will work in Canada and the U.S. We are on central standard time. Thanks.
Charlie, I'm an email person, not a phone person.
Email me via the system.

Email me via the system.
Jon Sable said:
Email me via the system.
Me too. Cannot stand to talk on the phone. Love e-mail.

Hi Charlie, your city sounds like most cities. They turn a blind eye to things until it blows up in their faces.
Neighboring big city is having a battle legal vs illegal short term rentals. Has been on the news every few nights for the last few months.

One council person is thinking the easy fix - force the illegal places to become legal by imposing a $100 license.... Of course the legal places had to go through the hoops and thousands of $ to get that same license with lots of regulations to adhere to as well. Others turned down due to location... (now same areas where illegals are inhabiting). We will see how this plays out but I think it will get ugly.

Back