AirBnb Innkeepers

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Have you considered that AirBnB "innkeepers" may visit this website? If so, what shall we tell them?

Some already have
wink_smile.gif
. I don't think we need to change what we say.
If they are doing things LEGALLY, I have no issues with the 'innkeepers'.
The site though, continues to come up with ways for the illegals to hid from the gov. instead of helping them to opportune above board.

I agree with CH, if they are doing it legally, collecting and paying taxes, have commercial liability insurance, then I have no problem with them.
One the other hand, if they are not legal and just renting out space, then I wouldn't use the term 'innkeeper' for them. Innkeeping is a profession. Be professional.
By the way, Airbnb doesn't even have an area on their owner's listing where you can add in the taxes! Again, not an even playing field for professional innkeepers. Legit innkeepers who are collecting taxes have to just lump it in with the room rate on the listing. That makes their rooms seem a lot more expensive when prospective guests are trying to compare. Most people will go for the cheaper room and have no idea what kind of risk they are taking.

I agree with CH, if they are doing it legally, collecting and paying taxes, have commercial liability insurance, then I have no problem with them.
One the other hand, if they are not legal and just renting out space, then I wouldn't use the term 'innkeeper' for them. Innkeeping is a profession. Be professional.
By the way, Airbnb doesn't even have an area on their owner's listing where you can add in the taxes! Again, not an even playing field for professional innkeepers. Legit innkeepers who are collecting taxes have to just lump it in with the room rate on the listing. That makes their rooms seem a lot more expensive when prospective guests are trying to compare. Most people will go for the cheaper room and have no idea what kind of risk they are taking..
In the US, at least they give out W5 forms. Around here, they help people avoid paying their income taxes too.

I use a professional service in Brazil to rent out my place when I am not there, and they advertise on AirBnB. Soit can be legit sometimes. I assume this is less then the norm though.

I am on airbnb and am doing it all legally.
It is a good new channel of distribution, and growing. Plus, no fees (except payment fees) are charged on us.
Main trouble is they do not yet have XML link to booking engines.
Most problems are not linked to airbnb but to
- people using the website without following all regulations,
- authorities not enforcing regulations,
- laws far too complex and different from one place/city/country and another
- legal system unable to follow the changes brought by an accelerating technological progress.

It is a good new channel of distribution, and growing. Plus, no fees (except payment fees) are charged on us.
- legal system unable to follow the changes brought by an accelerating technological progress..
I think it is fine for B & B's to us AIR...I mean if you want guests...you market anywhere you can. I would make some reference to being a legal B &B meeting all state/ local/ health dept regulations...etc. then it gives them something to think about and compare.
I was tempted to use Air recently but after looking and reading for the particular location I wanted...I was not comfortable with what i found. It would have to be something pretty special for me to bite on one of these places.

- legal system unable to follow the changes brought by an accelerating technological progress..
I am listed there also and operating legally. I just had the second request in 2 days from other Air hosts. One I accepted and one I declined - I am going to my high school reunion. I already have a couple coming in that day after his Mother's funeral - I did not have the heart to tell him no (DH does not know). We lock our side and my office. The other couple who are booked for 4 nights will be at a festival (I arranged with a cafe in town that if that couple will do it, breakfast that morning will be there - on me)

Airbnd does update reskey automatically through myallocator and works just fine except that airbnb only sends out updates about every 6 hours so if you are close to full you have a chance for a double booking. This auto setting takes away the ability to screen potential costumers because it accepts everyone just like all other third party sites.

Airbnd does update reskey automatically through myallocator and works just fine except that airbnb only sends out updates about every 6 hours so if you are close to full you have a chance for a double booking. This auto setting takes away the ability to screen potential costumers because it accepts everyone just like all other third party sites.
Bigbid said:
I suppose you are talking of the availabilities, not the prices. Correct ?

"Use the force luke"
I will list with diff agencies for lack of a better term if I am not vehemently opposed to them. There are a few out there I am, and won't list with.

I just received my first availability inquiry for the one apartment I have listed on Air. They wanted it for 6 people, arriving Feb 1, departing Feb 28.
I'll bet they're from Nigeria or Russia.
I don't have that many days available, and I don't take more than 4 people in there, but I'll reply because Air, like VRBO, rewards properties that respond quickly, and penalizes those that don't respond quickly, or at all.

By the way, Airbnb doesn't even have an area on their owner's listing where you can add in the taxes! Again, not an even playing field for professional innkeepers. Legit innkeepers who are collecting taxes have to just lump it in with the room rate on the listing. That makes their rooms seem a lot more expensive when prospective guests are trying to compare. Most people will go for the cheaper room and have no idea what kind of risk they are taking..
If we listed with Airbnb can we say we are fully licensed and insured? Then we add taxes into our price?

If we listed with Airbnb can we say we are fully licensed and insured? Then we add taxes into our price?
I think you can say whatever you want. Have you checked any Real B & B listings to see what they say?

sandynn said:
YES!

A trend in our area is for traditional B&B operators to list their rooms on the air site. We will be following suit soon. The air site has incredible reach, and if you price your rooms to include taxes and the air 'bite', it will work. Of course, if guests find you on your own site, they will get a discount.
Our vacation rental apartment has been listed both on the air site and our own site. About 50/50 each for booking origins.

Advice: You cannot link to your own URL but you can ask them to find you without the http and the www. The only issue is they get points for using airBnB so may wish to use it for that purpose.
Add the tax in, or like we do, it is basically the same $10 off discount, with the tax off.
Absolutely put in inspected and approved, and you will receive the same great amenities as our B&B guests! etc etc. Feel free to look mine up Sandynn, you know where I am and see how I have mine listed. I list just one room and mention I have others available, and in fact, if the one is not open I just give them another room. I have not had many guests from it, but so far so good! :)

I have a problem sharing information on this forum with "air" innkeepers. If you're a real one, I want to talk peer-to-peer. I have no interest in giving away free advice to people who compete with us on an unequal playing field (no regulation, no room taxes paid, etc.) I strongly oppose allowing people to join this or the LinkedIn boards I belong to without them having a tangible B&B/Inn business.

I have a problem sharing information on this forum with "air" innkeepers. If you're a real one, I want to talk peer-to-peer. I have no interest in giving away free advice to people who compete with us on an unequal playing field (no regulation, no room taxes paid, etc.) I strongly oppose allowing people to join this or the LinkedIn boards I belong to without them having a tangible B&B/Inn business..
The last I looked, this was a free and open place to be. Most Air folks would have no desire to even be called an innkeeper I don't think. And real innkeepers who list on Air....I have no problem with. Hey take advantage of it.
devil_smile.gif

I have a problem sharing information on this forum with "air" innkeepers. If you're a real one, I want to talk peer-to-peer. I have no interest in giving away free advice to people who compete with us on an unequal playing field (no regulation, no room taxes paid, etc.) I strongly oppose allowing people to join this or the LinkedIn boards I belong to without them having a tangible B&B/Inn business..
I am not so much opposed with them coming on the forum. I am also not so much opposed to exposing illegal operations. The mantra for us has always been, "If ya pays your taxes, we got no axes." Okay, that has never been our mantra, but I thought it was cute.

Back