AirBnB - What can WE do about this?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I appreciate Kathleen's perspective! I agree and would say it's incumbent upon you as legitimate establishments to notify the appropriate authorities by sending them direct links to the pages listing lodging opportunities on the site. I certainly would do the same if I was an innkeeper in a town where someone was offering a room this way for $200 per night!.
Well, it would torque me off if there were people around here doing this after all the hoops that we jump through to be licensed, insured, and inspected!!
angry_smile.gif
Don't even get me started on all the paperwork that we have to submit, taxes we collect and remit to the City & State, and everything else we do to be legitimate businesses.
Or maybe we're the ones that have it wrong & we should just go the route of these folks??
devil_smile.gif

Samster wrote: Or maybe we're the ones that have it wrong & we should just go the route of these folks??
devil_smile.gif
devil_smile.gif

They do this 'undercover' so they don't have to do all the things we do to become licensed etc. BUT - all it takes is ONE slip or fall and these people could loose everything they ever had! I addressed that in my comment under the article. Maybe this will make at least some of these people think! I believe some of these people think they will be covered by their homeowners - and we all know that is WRONG. One slip of the tongue about any money changing hands and the insurance carrier will wipe their hands of any claim and cancel their policy... I would not be suprised if Insurance companies will not get wise to sites like this.
As I posted earlier, the big city near us has had this issue for years and years and the B&B/hotel industry have been battling this with city officials to no avail as there is already so much on the officals plates and no money to add more employees. Of course if they were to fine these 'fly by nights' maybe they could increase their staff. With this mentioned site, and many others including sites like Craigslist, locating them is not as time consuming as before AND they will have documented proof of the illegal business activity.
I was kidding...obviously :)
Samster said:
I was kidding...obviously :)
Yes, I knew YOU were! Just wanted to provide any future aspiring reasons they should NOT play around with this notion.
wink_smile.gif

What level of government is the most typical for collecting occupancy taxes and other kinds of fees from innkeepers? Cities? Counties?
I ask, because I see no harm in sending a letter to the head of a group like the National Association of Counties or National League of Cities making them aware of the AirBnB phenomenon, who might be raising risk in their towns and who are not supporting the tax base like legitimate lodging establishments.
Thoughts?

What level of government is the most typical for collecting occupancy taxes and other kinds of fees from innkeepers? Cities? Counties?
I ask, because I see no harm in sending a letter to the head of a group like the National Association of Counties or National League of Cities making them aware of the AirBnB phenomenon, who might be raising risk in their towns and who are not supporting the tax base like legitimate lodging establishments.
Thoughts?.
jkarennj said:
Thoughts?
With local governments suffering currently with many cutbacks, they might be interested in this phenomenon. We pay our lodging/transient tax to the town here. But there is also sales tax to the state.
For me personally, I do not have any within my town or county (that I know of or are listed on that website), although there are plenty of second homes for rent.
I remember when we sold our place in Seattle the realtor told us no one can occupy this house until the papers are finalized due to liability. She had a home burn to the ground recently as the new owners moved in prematurely and had a romantic night before closing with sleeping bags, take-out food and candles. Who held the liability? The one who owned the home - still.

Thoughts?.
jkarennj said:
Thoughts?
We pay state sales tax and then county occupancy tax in NY. In some cities and towns there is an additional tax as well.
It would probably be worth you sending the letter Jay. Additionally it might be good to have a form letter that your membership (or maybe even non members) could fill in their names and send to whoever they see fit for their specific region.

Thoughts?.
That is a good start but not all cities/counties belong to these associations. DO make them aware of AirBnB but I would also notify the Secretary of State's Office in each of the 50 States, DC, and the Territories if AirBnB has dealings in the Territories and request they notify their Attorney General's Offices and counties also. The Secretary of State issues licenses that are used by the tax department that actually collects the sales tax. The hotel tax can be either city or county. Meanwhile I am going to notify my CVB Director who just happens to be the Prez of the State CVB Assoc. I do believe she will let the other members (and not all CVBs are members) know.
Update: I found a listing in Morgantown and notified the CVB in Morgantown. They were VERY interested - she even located the street while we spoke. One down to either cease & desist or pay the taxes!

They have been getting a lot of press. Annoying. This one is even bigger from what I have heard: http://www.couchsurfing.org/.
Hi JBanczak,
teeth_smile.gif

Yes, but as an active member of the couchsurfing community I can tell you that it's a completely different animal and of no threat to B&B operators. Couchsurfing mostly serves the need of young (under 30) backpackers who would never think to stay at a B&B in the first place. These are kids who are traveling on a tight budget and couchsurfing either saves them the $30 bucks they'd pay at the hostel or from sleeping on a park bench.
PS - In the years I've been with it I've only hosted two people over 30. And trust me when I say you don't want us kiddies "partying" or slumming it in your lovely B&Bs.
wink_smile.gif

They have been getting a lot of press. Annoying. This one is even bigger from what I have heard: http://www.couchsurfing.org/.
Hi JBanczak,
teeth_smile.gif

Yes, but as an active member of the couchsurfing community I can tell you that it's a completely different animal and of no threat to B&B operators. Couchsurfing mostly serves the need of young (under 30) backpackers who would never think to stay at a B&B in the first place. These are kids who are traveling on a tight budget and couchsurfing either saves them the $30 bucks they'd pay at the hostel or from sleeping on a park bench.
PS - In the years I've been with it I've only hosted two people over 30. And trust me when I say you don't want us kiddies "partying" or slumming it in your lovely B&Bs.
wink_smile.gif

Fountainrunner said:
Hi JBanczak,
teeth_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif
Hey fountainrunner,
It is the name AirBnB - Couchsurfer is what it is, but taking the name of legit businesses is what imo is worrisome. I have not seen them all to be $30 hostel-going backpackers, the couple I viewed remotely close to me were $200 a night! Double what I charge and there was no breakfast included.

Hi JBanczak,
teeth_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif

Had they called it Couchsurf.com we would never have been aware of the site nor would I have cared. BUT when the letters BNB are put together, it brings my chosen industry into the equation. We have a hard enough time getting neighborhoods to understand what a bed & breakfast actually is and this kind of publicity does not do MY industry any good at all. In fact it hurts it. And I resent that. I resent that my business is made to look cheap, that no fire or health inspections are taking place, no insurance paid, and above all NO TAXES - all of which are required of me to exist legitimately.
We have to jump through all sorts of hoops - and many obstacles that we should not have to deal with due to bureaucrats.
You may think airbnb is no threat to bed & breakfasts but it is on many levels.

Hi JBanczak,
teeth_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif

Had they called it Couchsurf.com we would never have been aware of the site nor would I have cared. BUT when the letters BNB are put together, it brings my chosen industry into the equation. We have a hard enough time getting neighborhoods to understand what a bed & breakfast actually is and this kind of publicity does not do MY industry any good at all. In fact it hurts it. And I resent that. I resent that my business is made to look cheap, that no fire or health inspections are taking place, no insurance paid, and above all NO TAXES - all of which are required of me to exist legitimately.
We have to jump through all sorts of hoops - and many obstacles that we should not have to deal with due to bureaucrats.
You may think airbnb is no threat to bed & breakfasts but it is on many levels.
Well said

Hi JBanczak,
teeth_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif

Fountainrunner said:
Yes, but as an active member of the couchsurfing community I can tell you that it's a completely different animal and of no threat to B&B operators. C
If you're not a B&B then don't call yourself B&B.
Plus, if you look in my area of Charlottesville, there is one property for rent for $1800. I thnk this alone negates your argument. I don't see any "kiddies" affording that.
Riki

Ok, Fountainrunner was here to defend couchsurfing.com which is quite different that AirB&B and how it is set up. I think he found this thread and John's posting while searching about that site.
Fountainrunner you are right that backpackers and the like would not be interested in the B&B industry. That is why we do have objection to a different site that is using our industry in it's title. It is bad for our industry as there are so very many that have misconseptions of what a B&B is and the types of guests that are attracted to them. Starting a new B&B in an area is difficult without this type of site (AirB&B) giving our industry a sore thumb. (IMHO) This just feeds the nayers some additional meat to through out to the zoning boards as if to say that B&B's just take in any wanderer coming through. We all work very hard to educate neighborhoods on the good benefits of having a B&B in their areas.

Hi JBanczak,
teeth_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif

Fountainrunner said:
Yes, but as an active member of the couchsurfing community I can tell you that it's a completely different animal and of no threat to B&B operators. C
Plus, if you look in my area of Charlottesville, there is one property for rent for $1800. I thnk this alone negates your argument. I don't see any "kiddies" affording that.
Riki
Wait, did anyone bother to read my post?!?! We're talking about two different sites here and I was replying to JBanczak's mention of the site couchsurfing.com.
I was NOT commenting on AirBnB!!! I was commenting on couchsurfing - period. I'm not a member of AirBnB nor did I say it was not a threat to B&B operators. I agree with what everyone on here is saying and only sharing with the group how the one site is completely different from this AirBnB nonsense. Please re-read my post because it seems to have been taken out of context. Thank you.

Hi JBanczak,
teeth_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif

Fountainrunner said:
Riki
Wait, did anyone bother to read my post?!?! We're talking about two different sites here and I was replying to JBanczak's mention of the site couchsurfing.com.
I was NOT commenting on AirBnB!!! I was commenting on couchsurfing - period. I'm not a member of AirBnB nor did I say it was not a threat to B&B operators. I agree with what everyone on here is saying and only sharing with the group how the one site is completely different from this AirBnB nonsense. Please re-read my post because it seems to have been taken out of context. Thank you.
Fountainrunner said:
Wait, did anyone bother to read my post?!?!?!? We're talking about two different sites here and I was replying to JBanczak's mention of the site couchsurfing.com.
I was NOT commenting on AirBnB!!! I was commenting on couchsurfing - period. I'm not a member of AirBnB nor did I say it was not a threat to B&B operators. Please re-read my post because it seems to have been taken out of context. Thank you.
You are in a post about airbedBnB. JB brought that other one up, but that is not the website anyone is concerned about, read the other 25 comments, I think there is another posting about this same subject on this forum as well. No need to defend couchsurfer.

Hi JBanczak,
teeth_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif

Fountainrunner said:
Riki
Sorry. I did not know there WAS a couchsurf site. Not so comfortable with that either, but at least it does not take the name of my industry in vain.
And yes, I do promise to do all I can to create a hassle for the site that does take my industry in vain. I know of one that is no longer "under the radar" and I hope they change their name. Airbaglodging might be an alternative.

Hi JBanczak,
teeth_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif

Fountainrunner said:
Riki
Fountainrunner said:
Wait, did anyone bother to read my post?!?!?!? We're talking about two different sites here and I was replying to JBanczak's mention of the site couchsurfing.com.
I was NOT commenting on AirBnB!!! I was commenting on couchsurfing - period. I'm not a member of AirBnB nor did I say it was not a threat to B&B operators. Please re-read my post because it seems to have been taken out of context. Thank you.
You are in a post about airbedBnB. JB brought that other one up, but that is not the website anyone is concerned about, read the other 25 comments, I think there is another posting about this same subject on this forum as well. No need to defend couchsurfer.
Joe,
I read through the whole thread before posting, thanks. I addressed JBanczak back in my reply because I wanted he/she to know couchsurfing was something completely different. It didn't need to be included in this discussion as a possible threat. I was just pointing it out and I think everyone thought in doing so I was defending AirBnB, I'm not.

Ok, Fountainrunner was here to defend couchsurfing.com which is quite different that AirB&B and how it is set up. I think he found this thread and John's posting while searching about that site.
Fountainrunner you are right that backpackers and the like would not be interested in the B&B industry. That is why we do have objection to a different site that is using our industry in it's title. It is bad for our industry as there are so very many that have misconseptions of what a B&B is and the types of guests that are attracted to them. Starting a new B&B in an area is difficult without this type of site (AirB&B) giving our industry a sore thumb. (IMHO) This just feeds the nayers some additional meat to through out to the zoning boards as if to say that B&B's just take in any wanderer coming through. We all work very hard to educate neighborhoods on the good benefits of having a B&B in their areas..
Copperhead said:
Hello Copperhead,
No, I didn't find this thread or posting while searching about that site. I'm here because I'm a member of this forum and working hard to get into this business on my own, so I do understand why everyone is upset about this AirBnB crap. I just wanted to point out to one person how that other particular site was different. It was never my intention for it to get this big. I guess I goofed up. I'll learn to keep my trap shut.
rolleyes.gif

Fountainrunner you are right that backpackers and the like would not be interested in the B&B industry. That is why we do have objection to a different site that is using our industry in it's title. It is bad for our industry as there are so very many that have misconseptions of what a B&B is and the types of guests that are attracted to them. Starting a new B&B in an area is difficult without this type of site (AirB&B) giving our industry a sore thumb. (IMHO) This just feeds the nayers some additional meat to through out to the zoning boards as if to say that B&B's just take in any wanderer coming through. We all work very hard to educate neighborhoods on the good benefits of having a B&B in their areas..
Copperhead said:
Hello Copperhead,
No, I didn't find this thread or posting while searching about that site. I'm here because I'm a member of this forum and working hard to get into this business on my own, so I do understand why everyone is upset about this AirBnB crap. I just wanted to point out to one person how that other particular site was different. It was never my intention for it to get this big. I guess I goofed up. I'll learn to keep my trap shut.
rolleyes.gif

Fountainrunner said:
I just wanted to point out to one person how that other particular site was different. It was never my intention for it to get this big. I guess I goofed up. I'll learn to keep my trap shut.
rolleyes.gif
No need to go silent. Depending on how some people have their preferences set for displaying a thread it makes it less obvious who was replying to who and about what. I think everyone understands now what you were saying and which site you were addressing. No harm done and thanks for helping clarify the point.

Copperhead said:
Hello Copperhead,
rolleyes.gif

Goodness! None of us ever shut up! What makes this Forum so interesting is the fact that we all tell it like it is - from OUR perspectives. We all voice our NVHO then sometimes go into a corner and lick our wounds or laugh or
potty-mouth.gif

Thoughts?.
jkarennj said:
Thoughts?
Around here it is the state. Altho there is legislation being batted around to allow towns to levy their own taxes.

I'm an avid AirBnB guest and host who also loves a good BnB. I found AirBnB when I needed housing for a sailing class in San Francisco and couldn't afford the traditional options, but realized from that first stay that I got a lot more (new friends, local perspective, one-on-one attention, a sense of what it was like for another young person living and working in the city) than I'd bargained for. It was quite different from a BnB stay in a way that's hard to put into words. I still enjoy good BnBs and have recently booked several fabulous ones, for trips when privacy, flexibility, luxury, a unique setting and/or coming and going at all hours was a must. I take many trips which are suited to differing kinds of accommodations, but to be honest with you, the one constant for me is that I have a strong preference for accommodations where the owners/staff's care and passion into creating something special is evident. The rise of boutique hotels and budget boutiques, and AirBnB as well, are evidence that more and more people value unique and more personal travel experiences like myself. As a survival strategy, I think it would be more fruitful (and I would much prefer) for BnBs to reach or maintain that standard rather than seeing them waging a nearly impossible fight against existing service that works and makes a lot of people (many of them BnB patrons as well) very happy. I find the good ones already do.

Back