airbnb

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Charlie May
I am guessing you live in Regina????
We agree with everything you said. We also hate airbnb and we also had a slower than normal off season. I think all the licensed, insured b and b's in your city should ban together and go to the next city council meeting. There seem to be just as many listed on kijiji (they don't have to pay the commission) as on airbnb..
Hi Mini I am near Saskatoon about 10 miles out. I can't get the town B and B's motivated to do anything yet we meet periodically for lunch and have fun. And you can imagine what we talk about----from great guests to unbelievable guests.!. How late we will stay up and wait or what we serve etc....... Where are you?
Hi Charley
email me offline if you like.
We are in your province.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/21/airbnb-new-york-attorney-general-court
I can not help but think that NY would not be making all this fuss unless there were political donors in the background wanting it so.
I am in the US and quite a few things mentioned I do not have to do. And there may be things I do have to do that others do not.
I also do not think bnb bit is appropriate.
When it comes to it they are no different to say Expedia, they are a booking service. Does anybody expect Expedia to be conversant with all the local requirements through out the world that its Hotels etc have to comply with. Or Craiglist, Or...
As the properties and contact details are on the Airbnb site, looks to me that NY is just being lazy.

When someone dies at an airBnB rental, the authorities will get excited. Until someone or multiple someones get sued, no one will want to spend the money or the effort to deal with them..
muirford said:
When someone dies at an airBnB rental, the authorities will get excited. Until someone or multiple someones get sued, no one will want to spend the money or the effort to deal with them.
How bizarre. My father said the same thing about another issue, he said "It is like a 4 way stop, they only put one in after more than one person has died."
I agree. No one is willing to do anything unless they have to. It is way too expensive.
Warning signs, yellow flashers, traffic lights go in after at least 5 or 6 people have been killed at a location OR a family member of a politician or big shot gets killed. One does not count.
Warning signs, yellow flashers, traffic lights go in after at least 5 or 6 people have been killed at a location OR a family member of a politician or big shot gets killed. One does not count.
Preferably shot, or somehow involving an Airplane.

Hello Charlie May
We agree with everything you said. We also hate airbnb and we also had a slower than normal off season. I think all the licensed, insured b and b's in your city should ban together and go to the next city council meeting. There seem to be just as many listed on kijiji (they don't have to pay the commission) as on airbnb..
Hi Mini I am near Saskatoon about 10 miles out. I can't get the town B and B's motivated to do anything yet we meet periodically for lunch and have fun. And you can imagine what we talk about----from great guests to unbelievable guests.!. How late we will stay up and wait or what we serve etc....... Where are you?
Hi Charley
We are in your province.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/21/airbnb-new-york-attorney-general-court
I can not help but think that NY would not be making all this fuss unless there were political donors in the background wanting it so.
I am in the US and quite a few things mentioned I do not have to do. And there may be things I do have to do that others do not.
When it comes to it they are no different to say Expedia, they are a booking service. Does anybody expect Expedia to be conversant with all the local requirements through out the world that its Hotels etc have to comply with. Or Craiglist, Or...
As the properties and contact details are on the Airbnb site, looks to me that NY is just being lazy.
the argument is on boo king expe dia etc the give an exact street address - officials where I am could print out a list and go check
There is now 1 room in my town which is probably illegal - so have tried to find out the address - it gives me a vague location - not an address unless I book, I could probably find it if I walked round the area as there Is an outside shot but it would take quite a bit of doing and not all properties put on an outside shot either.

Hello Charlie May
Hi Charley
We are in your province.
the argument is on boo king expe dia etc the give an exact street address - officials where I am could print out a list and go check
There is now 1 room in my town which is probably illegal - so have tried to find out the address - it gives me a vague location - not an address unless I book, I could probably find it if I walked round the area as there Is an outside shot but it would take quite a bit of doing and not all properties put on an outside shot either.
Google Streetview is your friend :) No walking needed.

Hello Charlie May
Hi Charley
We are in your province.
My point being it would take me probably about 2 hours to find this specific house - if it was a flat in a block of 40 what would you do? or one without an outside photo?

Hello Charlie May
Hi Charley
We are in your province.
My point being it would take me probably about 2 hours to find this specific house - if it was a flat in a block of 40 what would you do? or one without an outside photo?
You may as well search in Ggle image the picture of the host. Just drag & drop the host picture in the search field of google image. Using Chrome might be better (Ggle will like it as well).

Hi Charlie,
I hope you and your colleagues don't mind me signing on to this forum. I'm writing a story for BBC Capital about the effect that Airbnb is having on small innkeepers. Would you (or anyone else on this forum) be willing to talk to me about this? I'm particularly interested in speaking with people who live outside the U.S. [email protected].
Thanks,
Sara Eckel

Hi Charlie,
I hope you and your colleagues don't mind me signing on to this forum. I'm writing a story for BBC Capital about the effect that Airbnb is having on small innkeepers. Would you (or anyone else on this forum) be willing to talk to me about this? I'm particularly interested in speaking with people who live outside the U.S. [email protected].
Thanks,
Sara Eckel.
saraeckel said:
Hi Charlie,
Thanks,
Sara Eckel
Small innkeepers. I guess I don't qualify. haha

Hi Charlie,
Thanks,
Sara Eckel.
saraeckel said:
Hi Charlie,
Thanks,
Sara Eckel
okay, you got me: People who run small inns and b&bs, as opposed to large chains.

Hi Charlie,
Thanks,
Sara Eckel.
saraeckel said:
Hi Charlie,
Thanks,
Sara Eckel
okay, you got me: People who run small inns and b&bs, as opposed to large chains.
Sorry...I forgot about our Canadian friends...The issue for most of us here is all the places in the US and how they get away with so much under the table.

Hi Charlie,
Thanks,
Sara Eckel.
Let's see... tax evasion would be the biggest issue. Outside of Europe and the US they do not issue income tax paperwork, so they help people hide income.
The clearly know that people aren't doing this legally and evolve to help them hide. It's taxable at the federal level, provincial level, city level (tourism), income tax level and finally property tax level. How much taxable income can you hide?
It also puts people at risk, a building's insurance may be invalid because they are running a commercial enterprise in a residential building. Often condominium buildings have a single policy for the entire building, and the actions of one person can affect the insurance of everyone in the building. Not to mention that here is one person handing out keys to bypass the security of the whole building.... and of course disturb the building, etc.
The other matter is that of rental apartments. Putting these apartments for rent illegally takes rental stock out of the marketplace and puts pressure on rents for everyone.

Hi Charlie,
Thanks,
Sara Eckel.
Let's see... tax evasion would be the biggest issue. Outside of Europe and the US they do not issue income tax paperwork, so they help people hide income.
The clearly know that people aren't doing this legally and evolve to help them hide. It's taxable at the federal level, provincial level, city level (tourism), income tax level and finally property tax level. How much taxable income can you hide?
It also puts people at risk, a building's insurance may be invalid because they are running a commercial enterprise in a residential building. Often condominium buildings have a single policy for the entire building, and the actions of one person can affect the insurance of everyone in the building. Not to mention that here is one person handing out keys to bypass the security of the whole building.... and of course disturb the building, etc.
The other matter is that of rental apartments. Putting these apartments for rent illegally takes rental stock out of the marketplace and puts pressure on rents for everyone.
Thank you, Jon. Have your business (or anyone else's) been personally affected by Airbnb? I'm looking for someone who can speak about their own experience. Best, Sara

Hi Charlie,
Thanks,
Sara Eckel.
saraeckel said:
Hi Charlie,
Thanks,
Sara Eckel
Sorry...I forgot about our Canadian friends...The issue for most of us here is all the places in the US and how they get away with so much under the table.
Hi,
The only reason I asked to hear from people outside the U.S. is that I'm writing for an international publication so my story has a wider scope. But I am interested in hearing from Americans as well.
Thanks,
Sara

Hi Charlie,
Thanks,
Sara Eckel.
Thank you, Jon. Have your business (or anyone else's) been personally affected by Airbnb? I'm looking for someone who can speak about their own experience. Best, Sara
For me, not really. But then they seem to attract those who would have either otherwise stayed in youth hostels or those looking for apartments, no those who want real service, which is what we provide.

Hi Charlie,
Thanks,
Sara Eckel.
For me, not really. But then they seem to attract those who would have either otherwise stayed in youth hostels or those looking for apartments, no those who want real service, which is what we provide.
okay, thanks. Sara

Hi Charlie,
Thanks,
Sara Eckel.
saraeckel said:
Hi Charlie,
Thanks,
Sara Eckel
Hi,
The only reason I asked to hear from people outside the U.S. is that I'm writing for an international publication so my story has a wider scope. But I am interested in hearing from Americans as well.
Thanks,
Sara
in the UK there are very strict fire regulations which all properties which rent out rooms are required to adhere to - Very rarely do properties bother at it would make them unviable ie fire door on every door, 2 escape routes out, integrated fire alarm and so on - not a lot of change out of $6000 at least to get started - not worth it for the occasional rent a room brigade.

Hi Charlie,
Thanks,
Sara Eckel.
saraeckel said:
Hi Charlie,
Thanks,
Sara Eckel
Hi,
Thanks,
Sara
My impact is financial. I pay a hefty insurance bill. I pay the Health Dept a hefty fee for a permit to serve food. I am required to pass inspection and abide by all the rules and laws my most intelligent Legislators and the Bureaucrats can manage to come up with. I collect sales tax for the State and pay B & B to my City. I pay to keep my yard looking beautiful and inviting (we are too old and decrepit to do it ourselves these days). I invest in good linens, amenities, wifi, and cable for the pleasure of my guests and serve them a fantastically good breakfast (and send them off with a care package of muffins for something a little extra). I am listed on Air with one room - my budget room - as jut another place to list since if you cannot beat them........I do not think they do squat to enhance the B & B image, rather their whole concept is an undermine.
Just as the hotels and resorts are now advertising "Enjoy the bed and breakfast experience" or "Enjoy a bed and breakfast special getaway". They can afford to undercut my rates and have a far larger budget for marketing. REAL B & Bs are caught in the middle

Hi Charlie,
Thanks,
Sara Eckel.
saraeckel said:
Hi Charlie,
Thanks,
Sara Eckel
Hi,
Thanks,
Sara
saraeckel said:
Hi,
Thanks,
Sara
Sara I suppose the real gripe is that they use the word BnB in their name, are they a B&B for goodness sakes? No, they are a rental, not a BnB. They are a fauxBnB according to the name, i guess.
shades_smile.gif

Every location is suffering with the lack of tax revenue that a person may have paid if they stayed at an inspected and approved license lodging choice, hotel, motel, lodge, B&B.
We actually try to get away from the reputation of "renting out a spare room" as people still have this misconception about B&Bs in the USA. We are professional innkeepers, not setting up a guest in suzie's room with her dollys and pink dresser. LOL

Now our city has 45 airbnb's to 11 legal b and b's. Wow. If the powers that be could force the airbnb company to hand over their membership list, something could be done. They do say at the beginning of the forms that all members when joining need to have the legal paperwork done---license, inspections, insurance, tax forms, etc. So I guess they have covered their butt. Even our local tourism does not request it but our name and address is right out there in the open for anyone to check. There are 2 airbnb's out in my municipality so I am going to go to the municipal office and see if they have a license and/or report them.

Back