Airline Passengers Delayed By Roaches

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
This is something I do worry about and keep an eye out for when we have international guests and esp guests from Florida or other super humid climates.
Airline Passengers Delayed By Roachesar[/h1]
“We’ve heard about airline delays causes by a number of factors; mechanical issues, weather problems, traffic gridlock at the airport. But earlier this month, one DC resident and regular flier faced a type of airline delay she has never encountered before…
Miami to Reagan National Airport, an American Airlines flight Alissa Kempler says she will never forget… She says “At the end of the day I think it ended up being an hour and a half delay.”…
The flight crew was dealing with a group of unwelcome passengers, an unusual delay: Delayed by roaches.
A stewardess told Kempler “There are roaches on the plane.” She found out “there are actually 50 roaches and they found a colony on a curtain between first class and the pilots.” Kempler says “we spent the next two and a half hours or at least I did, curled up in my seat thinking ‘how many cockroaches are going to be in my bag when I get out?’”…
If you are worried that a cockroach or other pest could have invaded your luggage, the National Pest Management Association recommends these steps:
When you get home, take all of your clothes out of your luggage and wash them in hot water.
Also take a close look at your suitcase. If you see any kind of pest or dropping, vacuum out your suitcase, including the pocket area.” (via wusa9.com) by Jessica Doyle
from HERE

And everyone knows if you have one female cockroach you have a million. They're 'pregnant' practically non stop.

In Miami, we call those beasts "cucaracha"! They are Palmetto Bugs, essentially giant roaches, routinely measuring 2" long. And they can fly!!! They are something most people fear, and I can tell you that I will mow you over trying to get away from one. Once infested, they are extremely difficult to get rid of.
I once had a boat in Atlanta that got them, and I would even sleep with that familiar red can...RAID!!! When I woke up to find one in my bed with me, I promptly emptied everything that wan't bolted down or glassed in to the dock (looked like a yard sale or an eviction!) and proceeded to set off three whole house bombs inside that little 33' boat - 2 inside and 1 in the engine compartment. Then, I mixed up a very strong poison and sprayed all of the wood around the dock, as well as my lines. Next thing I know, my neighbors are wondering why they are seeing an increase in cucaracha activity. I never had those bugs until I went to a dock where there were houseboats which are notorious for getting those.
Here, I keep my lines sprayed to keep them from crawling up them and into the boat, and I still don't have any in the 4 years I've been here. Now that the warm weather has returned to Miami, I have begun to see them on the docks at night and when I do, you'll hear me scream if I am surprised by one - just can't help it - it's a natural reaction.
If I had been a passenger to get on that plane, I would have most definately opted for the next flight. Those things scare the crap out of me.
Oh...one more thing ... they love corregated cardboard. Any box of any kind that comes onto the vessel is quickly emptied and thrown out. If I need to store something in a box, I use a plastic box.

I am just as paranoid and grossed out by the smaller german brown cockroaches as the big water bugs/palmettos. There is nothing I hate more - I can say I would rather have 1000 spiders or any size crawl over my body than one roach in the room. Ask my family - oh there are tons of stories...tons.
Hawaii is the same downtown Honolulu sidewalks move at night. Some people will say they have never seen one who visit, well they had never been to Hawaii with their eyes open. Sydney Australia...same same - -they are evil and live everywhere.

In Miami, we call those beasts "cucaracha"! They are Palmetto Bugs, essentially giant roaches, routinely measuring 2" long. And they can fly!!! They are something most people fear, and I can tell you that I will mow you over trying to get away from one. Once infested, they are extremely difficult to get rid of.
I once had a boat in Atlanta that got them, and I would even sleep with that familiar red can...RAID!!! When I woke up to find one in my bed with me, I promptly emptied everything that wan't bolted down or glassed in to the dock (looked like a yard sale or an eviction!) and proceeded to set off three whole house bombs inside that little 33' boat - 2 inside and 1 in the engine compartment. Then, I mixed up a very strong poison and sprayed all of the wood around the dock, as well as my lines. Next thing I know, my neighbors are wondering why they are seeing an increase in cucaracha activity. I never had those bugs until I went to a dock where there were houseboats which are notorious for getting those.
Here, I keep my lines sprayed to keep them from crawling up them and into the boat, and I still don't have any in the 4 years I've been here. Now that the warm weather has returned to Miami, I have begun to see them on the docks at night and when I do, you'll hear me scream if I am surprised by one - just can't help it - it's a natural reaction.
If I had been a passenger to get on that plane, I would have most definately opted for the next flight. Those things scare the crap out of me.
Oh...one more thing ... they love corregated cardboard. Any box of any kind that comes onto the vessel is quickly emptied and thrown out. If I need to store something in a box, I use a plastic box..
Wallpaper paste, brown paper bags, infant formula, they love it all. So bad at my apt in NY that even the health inspector was grossed out.
So, one day, I put all the food in the fridge and emptied a can of raid into the kitchen, took the baby, and as the roaches started dropping off the ceiling, I went out for 2 hours. Came back, swept up the bodies, washed all the dishes, counters, table, cupboards and made dinner.
Did the same thing the next day.
I found one after I moved. I beat it to a pulp and that was the last one I saw for a long, long time.
Just watched Victor/Victoria and there is a scene in a restaurant where Julie Andrews empties a roach out of her purse to get out of paying for her dinner. The roach gets away and crawls up another woman's leg. I was curled up on the coach, cringing. Nothing will get me out of a restaurant faster than seeing a roach. (I know they're there, I just don't want to see them.)

I know about the "cucarachas" lived in FL for two years...they scared the crap out of me too. Lived in an old house and they used to fly into the fire place (yea in FL don't ask) and yep I would sleep with the raid as well, did not like that aspect of FL--BUGS and they are all LARGE!
Been lucky so far here, no roaches...thank God cause if I had to bomb this place it would take 24 hours and three days to clean up. ha ha. All bugs make me cringe, but a roach just gives me goose bumps!

aaaargh! visiting my friend in florida, i'd open the dishwasher and a great big one would be running along the door frame. gross gross gross ... wouldn't see one for a while then ... open the dishwasher some day and there another would be ... running quick to get away ....
omg_smile.gif
brown with a reddish head and big ... yuck. he said they came in through the drain pipe and up into the dishwasher. had the plumber in who patched pipes but i don't know if that did the trick or not.
gives me the shivers to think of.
the bigger the bug, the more i don't like it!

Oh...one more thing ... they love corregated cardboard. Any box of any kind that comes onto the vessel is quickly emptied and thrown out. If I need to store something in a box, I use a plastic box..
We had an Army guy recently bring the LARGEST Palmetto bugs in via his rucksack. They had been in the field during training. They turned up during their stay in their room and I had our pest guy come back and treat the property. I have never had ones this large get in our house from outside. ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww.......
I cannot stand them!

aaaargh! visiting my friend in florida, i'd open the dishwasher and a great big one would be running along the door frame. gross gross gross ... wouldn't see one for a while then ... open the dishwasher some day and there another would be ... running quick to get away ....
omg_smile.gif
brown with a reddish head and big ... yuck. he said they came in through the drain pipe and up into the dishwasher. had the plumber in who patched pipes but i don't know if that did the trick or not.
gives me the shivers to think of.
the bigger the bug, the more i don't like it!.
Unfortunately, they can get in through a crack as thin as a sheet of paper. I have never been a fan of spraying poison until I moved here. With a commercial company spraying, I will seldom find them and they are on their back, DEAD. blech.
We should have bought stock in DAP caulk, door and window gaskets, and door sweeps before we re-did this house. ;-)

Back