AK & LA 2014 Survey Highlights

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Staff member
Reaction score
Just got this from the lobby arm of my State Hospitality & Travel Assoc.
“Since 1988, this survey has been the most authoritative and comprehensive benchmark of services that are so important to our industry,” said Amanda Hite, President and COO of STR. “The hotel industry continues to push for innovation, staying ahead of the curve to ensure hotel guests have an excellent experience. It has been a privilege working with AH&LA on this survey, which is a helpful guide for hoteliers, industry vendors and the traveling public.”
Key findings include:
• High-definition televisions in rooms are the standard with 84% of respondents saying that these are provided. Flat screen televisions are the norm, with 96% of respondents stating their facilities stock them.
• Mobile apps for hotel service continue to grow in popularity with 33% of hotels offering an app for their guests.
• Most hotels (86%) provide computers in the lobby for complimentary use.
• Fewer hotels are charging for in-room Internet services. Only 11% of respondents charge for Internet service. This figure is down from 23% in 2012.
• 93% of respondents have a linen/towel reuse program.
• The popularity of recycling programs continue to increase, climbing steadily and achieving 64% in 2014.
• The percentage of hotels with electric car charging stations has grown to 11% from 5% just 2 years ago
• 84% of participating hotels contribute to charities, and the majority of hotels (84%) make in-kind contributions of room nights, meeting space, goods or services.
• 82% of hotels offer complimentary breakfast. An all-time high of respondents (74%) stated that they provide healthy menu choices.
• Conversely, fewer hotels are offering newspaper delivery, in room DVD players, and mini bars. Jacuzzis are also on the decline.
This is one of the longest-running surveys of its kind. The 2014 Lodging Survey is conducted every two years, and with more than 9,600 participants, it is the most comprehensive analysis of the trends in the hotel and lodging industry based on direct feedback from hotels. Respondents are also representative of the geographic makeup of the hotel industry.
The attachment pdf link will not copy.

I am really surprised to hear that 82% of hotels offer free breakfast. I've been staying at the wrong hotels!
It's very rare for me to find that my jet tubs have NOT been used.

The first thing I thought when I saw the title was what an odd survey to only cover Alaska and Louisiana.
Silly me.
We finally became members at a particular hotel chain. Waiting to see what that gets me. But it does have HD TV and a kitchenette. If nothing else the kitchen is a place to throw all the extra bags of stuff I travel with.

The first thing I thought when I saw the title was what an odd survey to only cover Alaska and Louisiana.
Silly me.
We finally became members at a particular hotel chain. Waiting to see what that gets me. But it does have HD TV and a kitchenette. If nothing else the kitchen is a place to throw all the extra bags of stuff I travel with..
Morticia said:
Silly me.
Well silly me too, that's what I thought too!

The more middle of the road places that I have stayed, have all had the complimentary breakfast.

I'm always at a big city downtown convention, in the type of hotels that still charge for daily Internet and charge $18 for breakfast! I always search out a McD's or cheap cafe for breakfast, even if I have to walk a few blocks. Those big downtown hotels know they have people over a barrel. You don't like it, you stay outside downtown and fight rush hour traffic each way to get to your meetings!

One of my pet peeves with hotels that charge hundreds of dollars a night and have these great big 50" TVs but only have SD cable, no high definition at all. And you want me to pay $20 for a movie in the room in SD?
While I think the hotel industry as a whole would love to embrace the idea of nickel and diming people, I don't know how they are going to manage it in the day of the mobile phone with mobile Internet. Unless it's the foreigners you want to gouge. In my own country I have wifi on my phone (which I can share with my laptop, if need be). I don't need a phone in the room. And those movies you are selling... I have a streaming account that I can use.
These businesses need to get a lot more innovative if they want to find a way to rack up extra charges in the future.
Incidentally, I also think the airlines are stupid. They should give you the first bag for free and charge for the carry-on space. It would load that plane so much faster and save buckets of time at the gate. Luggage in the hold has weight, but it's on and off in a few minutes with employees who stay there. If you can get a plane flying in the air more hours and put through one more plane at a gate, that's real money.

One of my pet peeves with hotels that charge hundreds of dollars a night and have these great big 50" TVs but only have SD cable, no high definition at all. And you want me to pay $20 for a movie in the room in SD?
While I think the hotel industry as a whole would love to embrace the idea of nickel and diming people, I don't know how they are going to manage it in the day of the mobile phone with mobile Internet. Unless it's the foreigners you want to gouge. In my own country I have wifi on my phone (which I can share with my laptop, if need be). I don't need a phone in the room. And those movies you are selling... I have a streaming account that I can use.
These businesses need to get a lot more innovative if they want to find a way to rack up extra charges in the future.
Incidentally, I also think the airlines are stupid. They should give you the first bag for free and charge for the carry-on space. It would load that plane so much faster and save buckets of time at the gate. Luggage in the hold has weight, but it's on and off in a few minutes with employees who stay there. If you can get a plane flying in the air more hours and put through one more plane at a gate, that's real money..
How many others are doing this?
Wifi blocking

Incidentally, I also think the airlines are stupid. They should give you the first bag for free and charge for the carry-on space. It would load that plane so much faster and save buckets of time at the gate. Luggage in the hold has weight, but it's on and off in a few minutes with employees who stay there. If you can get a plane flying in the air more hours and put through one more plane at a gate, that's real money..
How many others are doing this?
Wifi blocking
It's despicable!

Jon Sable said:
Incidentally, I also think the airlines are stupid. They should give you the first bag for free and charge for the carry-on space. It would load that plane so much faster and save buckets of time at the gate. Luggage in the hold has weight...
They don't weigh the carry-on luggage, so that may have more weight than what's in the hold!
I've always thought like you. They need to give one or two checked luggage free (within size and weight limits) and charge for the carry-ons. I don't know why they do it the opposite way. They must have some good reason. Surely.
A lot of people prefer to keep their luggage with them and not have to go to the baggage claim. Let THEM pay for that carry-on privilege, and blocking a whole plane of people while they struggle to get their carry-ons out of the bins.

I'm always at a big city downtown convention, in the type of hotels that still charge for daily Internet and charge $18 for breakfast! I always search out a McD's or cheap cafe for breakfast, even if I have to walk a few blocks. Those big downtown hotels know they have people over a barrel. You don't like it, you stay outside downtown and fight rush hour traffic each way to get to your meetings!.
The Conferences I go to have sponsors paying for breakfast - even if it is just fruit, sweet rolls, boiled eggs, juice, and coffee/tea.

Other finding were that hospitality is a job creator. That 40% of companies surveyed paid 100% of their employees more than minimum wage. (I take this with a grain of salt. They could be paying 10 cents more than min and say that.)
Just saw an ad in the paper for jobs for next summer. Interesting to note the responsibilities of the housekeeping jobs ($9.46/hour) - make beds, vacuum, dust, wash linens. None of them mentioned bathroom cleaning.
Lawn care and groundskeeping at the same places pays $3/hour more. I think I'd rather weed and mow.
There were 5-6 ads for about 100+ seasonal jobs total.
You could also pay to live in shared housing for $100/week.For a 30 hour/week job you're not saving any money for college that's for sure.

Other finding were that hospitality is a job creator. That 40% of companies surveyed paid 100% of their employees more than minimum wage. (I take this with a grain of salt. They could be paying 10 cents more than min and say that.)
Just saw an ad in the paper for jobs for next summer. Interesting to note the responsibilities of the housekeeping jobs ($9.46/hour) - make beds, vacuum, dust, wash linens. None of them mentioned bathroom cleaning.
Lawn care and groundskeeping at the same places pays $3/hour more. I think I'd rather weed and mow.
You could also pay to live in shared housing for $100/week.For a 30 hour/week job you're not saving any money for college that's for sure..
Morticia said:
Huh. We pay more for housekeeping/cleaning than for lawn care/groundskeeping/general maintenance labor ....

You could also pay to live in shared housing for $100/week.For a 30 hour/week job you're not saving any money for college that's for sure..
I paid the kid $10 per hour to iron pillowcases. She has gone off to college so I am back to ironing. Sigh.

Morticia said:
Huh. We pay more for housekeeping/cleaning than for lawn care/groundskeeping/general maintenance labor ....
Harborfields said:
Morticia said:
I hesitated to bring this up, but it immediately sounded sexist to me.

Morticia said:
Harborfields said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Harborfields said:
Morticia said:
You mean the guys working outside getting paid more than the girls working inside? Yeah.
At our place, the person we hire to do the outside work needs to also be willing to do the inside work (cause we need them to do both, and it's the only way we can give them the hours they want). We've had both girls and guys doing that job (Anna for two seasons, Jake this past season). We pay more for the inside work because there is less of it (at least in terms of the number of hours we can offer to any one worker), and there is more competition (in season) for those workers out here on the end of our peninsula (a lot of places around here use imported workers from eastern Europe). We need a decent-sized crew of inside workers (cleaners) for change-over days!

Morticia said:
Harborfields said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Harborfields said:
Morticia said:
Hazard pay.

Back