All lodging shut down

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maine has like 759 cases Massachusetts has 25000
875640D8-3E03-4911-AAFF-F3ED825ABC7F.jpeg
That sign sure should help with out-of-state people fleeing to Maine!
In the current situation, Maine is lucky to be out on the fringe, not on the way to any other state, so don't have people just passing through.

BREAKING NEWS
For those of you who applied for an EIDL loan, the SBA has announced tonight it's changing the rules. For those of you who heard about a $10k upfront on the loan to get you through, that's now been changed.
Applicants can only get $1k for each employee they had on staff on March 30, 2020. So if you just had 2 employees, that's $2,000.
This administration would screw up a 1-car funeral..
Well. That basically means we aren’t eligible for any help as we have only one PT employee who doesn’t start working until we have guests.
If anyone knows of any other options, we’d be happy to try them! PPP doesn’t work because of that same PT employee not being around.
Honestly, I didn’t think any of the programs were for super small businesses like ours. Tough to actually realize it.
I do not know the TOTAL particulars, but a honcho from WV WorkForce was just on the radio (only half listened cuz I ain't dipping) and he said the unemployment claims for self-employed, contractors, etc should be ready to be taken by the end of the week or beginning of next week. Check with your State unemployment office for your State's rules.
Headline from Chicago Sun-Times article: Illinois self-employed, gig workers will get jobless benefits starting May 11

BREAKING NEWS
For those of you who applied for an EIDL loan, the SBA has announced tonight it's changing the rules. For those of you who heard about a $10k upfront on the loan to get you through, that's now been changed.
Applicants can only get $1k for each employee they had on staff on March 30, 2020. So if you just had 2 employees, that's $2,000.
Well. That basically means we aren’t eligible for any help as we have only one PT employee who doesn’t start working until we have guests.
If anyone knows of any other options, we’d be happy to try them! PPP doesn’t work because of that same PT employee not being around.
Honestly, I didn’t think any of the programs were for super small businesses like ours. Tough to actually realize it.
Morticia said:
Actually you can get PPP assistance!!!!!
Just got word that our PPP Loan was approved via our local bank!! We are Sole Proprietors No Employees, so PPP Loan is based upon our Schedule C Net Income + Mortgage Interest/12 X 2.5. Forgivable because Net Income subs for Employee income.

BREAKING NEWS
PhineasSwann said:
Yes I got that too. Really bad, because this isn't just payroll money. It's money to cover utilities, mortgages, and other ongoing business expenses.
Time after time, they offer something, then they take it away. It's the difference between the congress, who wrote the law to prop up the national economy, and bureaucrats who administer it, bureaucrats who are used to doing "business as usual." This is not the time for business as usual!

My inn's next door neighbor said ATF (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives) agents in uniform were outside my inn today! She was sitting on her front porch (we're on a downtown street so her building shares a common wall with mine) sipping wine, so she was afraid they were there about her drinking in public.
But no, they were there to make sure my inn is following the governor's directive to only rent to the list of allowed people. She assured them that I am, and they went away happy.
Can't imagine what this has to do with ATF!!!??? But glad they're really taking this seriously and checking up on things.

I actually have guests tonight. They called from the road asking if I had a room tonight. They arrived a couple hours later. The only wrinkle is she is vegan (I thought she was veggie but thankfully asked on arrival). So it is my baked oatmeal in the morning but her hubs is not vegan - he asked for the maple venison sausage. Did a quick thaw on the venison while I roasted the Costa Rica coffee he chose. Picked my sage and minced it so the sausage is in the fridge "melding" the flavors. Now to find a peanut butter muffin recipe so I can make vegan muffins in the morning. Can't make my usual banana peanut butter muffins because I do not have ripe bananas - was planning scones.

I actually have guests tonight. They called from the road asking if I had a room tonight. They arrived a couple hours later. The only wrinkle is she is vegan (I thought she was veggie but thankfully asked on arrival). So it is my baked oatmeal in the morning but her hubs is not vegan - he asked for the maple venison sausage. Did a quick thaw on the venison while I roasted the Costa Rica coffee he chose. Picked my sage and minced it so the sausage is in the fridge "melding" the flavors. Now to find a peanut butter muffin recipe so I can make vegan muffins in the morning. Can't make my usual banana peanut butter muffins because I do not have ripe bananas - was planning scones..
Nice to have a "normal life" post for a change!

I actually have guests tonight. They called from the road asking if I had a room tonight. They arrived a couple hours later. The only wrinkle is she is vegan (I thought she was veggie but thankfully asked on arrival). So it is my baked oatmeal in the morning but her hubs is not vegan - he asked for the maple venison sausage. Did a quick thaw on the venison while I roasted the Costa Rica coffee he chose. Picked my sage and minced it so the sausage is in the fridge "melding" the flavors. Now to find a peanut butter muffin recipe so I can make vegan muffins in the morning. Can't make my usual banana peanut butter muffins because I do not have ripe bananas - was planning scones..
Nice to have a "normal life" post for a change!
I ended up making my cranberry triple sec muffins with peanut butter (no cranberries). They liked them. She says they are paying cash!!! Yea! He loved the sausage, they almost finished off the oatmeal. Went for a bike ride and are now getting ready to leave. They even gave me a tip!!!

BREAKING NEWS
PhineasSwann said:
Yes I got that too. Really bad, because this isn't just payroll money. It's money to cover utilities, mortgages, and other ongoing business expenses.
Time after time, they offer something, then they take it away. It's the difference between the congress, who wrote the law to prop up the national economy, and bureaucrats who administer it, bureaucrats who are used to doing "business as usual." This is not the time for business as usual!
FYI you can use your PPP loan proceeds for utilities and mortgage interest or rent as well. The trick is that in order to get forgiveness on the loan, you can only use 25% for them -- 75% or more has to go to payroll.

BREAKING NEWS
PhineasSwann said:
FYI you can use your PPP loan proceeds for utilities and mortgage interest or rent as well. The trick is that in order to get forgiveness on the loan, you can only use 25% for them -- 75% or more has to go to payroll.
PhineasSwann said:
Yes, it seems wonderful, and very helpful. But they've burned me before so I'll keep an eye on things, because they like to change the rules!

Yes, they do. The 75% threshold wasn't initially mentioned.
Also, on EIDL they built a lot of false hopes by waiving the "initial $10,000 loan" verbiage around.
It's a moving target, so keep an eye out for changes. Also, I've already started a spreadsheet to track where I've spent money on payroll, utilities and interest (make sure you have an amortization schedule that shows you how much of your monthly payment is interest and principal. (only the interest is allowed for PPP funds).

BREAKING NEWS
PhineasSwann said:
PhineasSwann said:
Yes, it seems wonderful, and very helpful. But they've burned me before so I'll keep an eye on things, because they like to change the rules!
One reason I decided in the beginning to NOT apply for anything. Government has always spoken with fork-ed tongue - just ask Tonto and Sitting Bull.

BREAKING NEWS
PhineasSwann said:
PhineasSwann said:
One reason I decided in the beginning to NOT apply for anything. Government has always spoken with fork-ed tongue - just ask Tonto and Sitting Bull.
gillumhouse said:
One reason I decided in the beginning to NOT apply for anything.
Fine. More for the rest of us! ;-)
The money will all be spent. If you don't take what's there for you, someone else will benefit from it.

BREAKING NEWS
PhineasSwann said:
PhineasSwann said:
gillumhouse said:
One reason I decided in the beginning to NOT apply for anything.
Fine. More for the rest of us! ;-)
The money will all be spent. If you don't take what's there for you, someone else will benefit from it.
I know, that is why I left it. Someone was going to really NEED it and I saw that I can manage.

Yes, they do. The 75% threshold wasn't initially mentioned.
Also, on EIDL they built a lot of false hopes by waiving the "initial $10,000 loan" verbiage around.
It's a moving target, so keep an eye out for changes. Also, I've already started a spreadsheet to track where I've spent money on payroll, utilities and interest (make sure you have an amortization schedule that shows you how much of your monthly payment is interest and principal. (only the interest is allowed for PPP funds)..
PhineasSwann said:
...and interest (make sure you have an amortization schedule that shows you how much of your monthly payment is interest and principal. (only the interest is allowed for PPP funds).
Didn't know that! Thanks! That right there repaid the extremely high cost of using this forum ;-)
It's wonderful that all that info is available via online banking. So much easier than the days you had to make a trip to the bank for info like that.

Back