All lodging shut down

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have the same now. Our governor is concerned about people in high-COVID areas like New Orleans and St. Louis seeking to come "hide out" in our state, which has relatively few cases...so far.
His directive limits all Arkansas lodging rentals to those people deemed necessary — health care workers, first responders, law enforcement, state and federal employees on official business, national guard members on active duty, airline crew members, patients of hospitals and their families, journalists, people unable to return to their home because of travel restrictions, etc.
They always put that "etc." at the end, which leaves some wiggle room. We'll see..
Arks, I'm not sure where you are getting your numbers. Here is what I see happening in your state. https://www.ky3.com/content/news/Arkansas-sees-largest-single-day-jump-in-COVID-19-cases-reports-two-new-deaths-569393461.html
Silverspoon said:
Arks, I'm not sure where you are getting your numbers. Here is what I see happening in your state. https://www.ky3.com/content/news/Arkansas-sees-largest-single-day-jump-in-COVID-19-cases-reports-two-new-deaths-569393461.html
What numbers? I didn't mention any numbers in the post you replied to.
Ooops, I meant to reply to #13...the one with the numbers. And for your state: Arkansas: 946 Positive Cases; 16 Deaths; 142 Recoveries (1:45 p.m. Tuesday, April 7)
With a little luck and patience the rural nature of your state along with the current restrictions will prevent overwhelming your healthcare system. Consider yourselves lucky. We expect our more populace state to be shut down for at least another month. Second homeowners escaping the hot spots in our state and other states are moving in. There will be no seasonal help at this rate which means many businesses will not be able to operate. Even if we are able to hold onto our summer bookings visitors may not have restaurants to go to!!!

Governor just opened up May for reservations. We’ll see how that goes. I’m sticking with mid-May as the earliest. No rush.
We have not gotten any reservation moves, everything is a cancellation..
I think it was a clarification by the commissioner yesterday that May reservations were ok to take before, but it came with a caveat that the current restriction could be extended. We decided to block out into June for now. Like you, no new res coming in at all.

We have the same now. Our governor is concerned about people in high-COVID areas like New Orleans and St. Louis seeking to come "hide out" in our state, which has relatively few cases...so far.
His directive limits all Arkansas lodging rentals to those people deemed necessary — health care workers, first responders, law enforcement, state and federal employees on official business, national guard members on active duty, airline crew members, patients of hospitals and their families, journalists, people unable to return to their home because of travel restrictions, etc.
They always put that "etc." at the end, which leaves some wiggle room. We'll see..
Silverspoon said:
What numbers? I didn't mention any numbers in the post you replied to.
Ooops, I meant to reply to #13...the one with the numbers. And for your state: Arkansas: 946 Positive Cases; 16 Deaths; 142 Recoveries (1:45 p.m. Tuesday, April 7)
With a little luck and patience the rural nature of your state along with the current restrictions will prevent overwhelming your healthcare system. Consider yourselves lucky. We expect our more populace state to be shut down for at least another month. Second homeowners escaping the hot spots in our state and other states are moving in. There will be no seasonal help at this rate which means many businesses will not be able to operate. Even if we are able to hold onto our summer bookings visitors may not have restaurants to go to!!!
Silverspoon said:
Ooops, I meant to reply to #13...the one with the numbers.
Not sure which one is "#13" but if you were referring to the one where I spoke about the 2 cases here, note that I said that was our COUNTY numbers, from our county health department. Our county at that time only had 2 cases. We now have 3, all connected back to the first one, the young farmer who went to Louisiana to buy farm equipment.
I think the county health dept. did a good job of tracking down all his contacts. The two he gave it to were among the contacts they knew about, so they were immediately quarantined. All 3 are doing OK for now, and we're hoping the quarantine stopped the spread.

Governor just opened up May for reservations. We’ll see how that goes. I’m sticking with mid-May as the earliest. No rush.
We have not gotten any reservation moves, everything is a cancellation..
Really? Where did you see that?
Momma Smurf said:
Really? Where did you see that?
first on Facebook last night. Today in email from the state hospitality group.

Has anyone else looked at the math on this? I did the math this morning.

US Population: 327 million
Cases in the last month: 370,000
So after all the time and work and worry and money put in to this so far, that leaves 326.6 million Americans who still must catch it and develop immunity. (Hoping/assuming recovered people have immunity.)
How long would it take at the current rate of 400,000 new cases/month, to get our population immune? I calculate it would take 68 years, at this rate, for us all to catch it and develop immunity. So that route is impossible.

We're going to HAVE to slowly open things back up, while maintaining distancing and hand washing and all, until they get a vaccine, in 12-18 months. It's the people in the cities who will really be hurting. Hard for them to run subways and buses and keep people 6' apart..
Totally agree. The elephant in the room is this.
When we all open back up and start taking reservations again what happens as innkeepers if we happen to get it? We have to be away from everyone for 14 days. So what happens then to our current guests we have staying or for future guests during the time we essentially have to close? It's like a ticking time bomb. We are all just waiting around until we get it. You all know for a fact we will get it! Its just when and then how will we deal with our guests? This just really sucks!
Hillbilly said:
...what happens as innkeepers if we happen to get it? We have to be away from everyone for 14 days.
This "2 weeks" thing is a little misleading. That's the period in which symptoms usually first appear, if they even do appear, but once you develop symptoms, it's looking like you can be sick for 3 more weeks, or more!
They still don't have an answer on how long you have to wait before you're no longer infectious to others, and they still don't know if people develop immunity, or if they can catch it again! There was one case in China that recovered, then got it again, but they're not really sure if that second one was a new infection or continuation of the first one, or a false positive! Yes, as you said, this just really sucks!

So after all the time and work and worry and money put in to this so far, that leaves 326.6 million Americans who still must catch it and develop immunity. (Hoping/assuming recovered people have immunity.)
How long would it take at the current rate of 400,000 new cases/month, to get our population immune? I calculate it would take 68 years, at this rate, for us all to catch it and develop immunity. So that route is impossible.

We're going to HAVE to slowly open things back up, while maintaining distancing and hand washing and all, until they get a vaccine, in 12-18 months. It's the people in the cities who will really be hurting. Hard for them to run subways and buses and keep people 6' apart..
To go with your numbers - as of Noon today (4-7-2020) -my State of 1.8 million people has 412 confirmed cases with 4 deaths (all had other contribution complications).
For this, we have killed our economy and now, I have been told I have to move my Municipal Election from June 2 to June 30. Sigh!
There are still states/counties/cities opting out of quarantine. You have to get your reps involved. Tell them how you feel!
If there is not an appreciable death or infection rate your state should reopen ASAP. Other states are not stopping commerce.

To go with your numbers - as of Noon today (4-7-2020) -my State of 1.8 million people has 412 confirmed cases with 4 deaths (all had other contribution complications).
For this, we have killed our economy and now, I have been told I have to move my Municipal Election from June 2 to June 30. Sigh!
There are still states/counties/cities opting out of quarantine. You have to get your reps involved. Tell them how you feel!
If there is not an appreciable death or infection rate your state should reopen ASAP. Other states are not stopping commerce.
Morticia said:
I have spent the day on the phone and e-mail with Municipal League, Secretary of State's office, and my City Manager (and gave a heads-up to our local newspaper). It helps that I have personal relationships with the SBA person (high up on the food chain in WV) for info for the B & Bs and the Exec Director of Municipal League. Not a lot he can do as he is working funding aspects (but I did get a call from someone in the US Senator's office last week about other things) and I had a follow-up from the Sec of State Office that they are working it and the Muni League guy is going to try to set up a Conference call with the Sec of State Attorney. Trust me - they KNOW my opinion. My date is set by our City Charter and I told them, that cannot be changed easily.
I brought up Wisconsin where the Gov Exec Order was overturned so they were having their Election today.

In our state, inns & B&Bs were complying with the mandatory shutdown and ban on taking future reservations, but unlicensed short-term rentals weren't.
I sent an email to our attorney general Monday pointing this out, and sending him a link of the over 400 AirBnBs currently available for rent in the state, flaunting the governor's executive order.
In less than 12 hours, his office contacted both AirBnB and VRBO, threatened them, and they hurriedly modified every listing in the state showing it was unavailable for rent.
Squeak those wheels, folks, and you'll force everyone to play by the same rules.

In our state, inns & B&Bs were complying with the mandatory shutdown and ban on taking future reservations, but unlicensed short-term rentals weren't.
I sent an email to our attorney general Monday pointing this out, and sending him a link of the over 400 AirBnBs currently available for rent in the state, flaunting the governor's executive order.
In less than 12 hours, his office contacted both AirBnB and VRBO, threatened them, and they hurriedly modified every listing in the state showing it was unavailable for rent.
Squeak those wheels, folks, and you'll force everyone to play by the same rules..
Way to go!!

Squeak those wheels, folks, and you'll force everyone to play by the same rules..
Way to go!!
gillumhouse said:
Way to go!!
Ditto! We all have a little time on our hands for a while, so might as well take care of things like this!

PhineasSwann said:
Squeak those wheels, folks, and you'll force everyone to play by the same rules.
Well done! Kudos!

I was originally going by info on lodging restrictions that I saw in the state news media, and they were very restrictive indeed. But I just got a notice from the state Dept. of Tourism that clarifies things and opens up a lot more opportunity for people to stay with me, so you might double-check with your own state to get the exact info regarding lodging restrictions.
We are currently allowed to accept reservations from people in any of the following categories:
  • All residents of Arkansas are welcome to make a reservation. (They discourage pleasure travel but don't currently prohibit it.)
  • Out-of-state residents who are traveling through Arkansas for work-related reasons are welcome.
  • Out-of-state residents who are in any of the following categories are welcome:
  • Persons away from their home due to work or work-related travel
  • Healthcare professionals
  • First responders
  • Law enforcement
  • State or Federal employees on official business
  • National Guard Members on active duty
  • Airline crew members
  • Patients of hospitals and their families
  • Journalists
  • Persons unable to return to their home due to COVID-19 travel restrictions
  • Arkansas citizens unable to return to their home due to exigent circumstances, such as fire, flood, tornado, or other disaster
  • Persons in need of shelter due to domestic violence or homelessness
  • Employees of hotels, motels, or other service providers/contractors of a hotel or motel

Vermont's governor today backed off slightly on his initial draconian edict on banning ALL future reservations. Inns can now take reservations for after June 15, with the understanding that if the situation has not improved by then, they may have to cancel them.

Vermont's governor today backed off slightly on his initial draconian edict on banning ALL future reservations. Inns can now take reservations for after June 15, with the understanding that if the situation has not improved by then, they may have to cancel them..
PhineasSwann said:
Vermont's governor today backed off slightly on his initial draconian edict on banning ALL future reservations. Inns can now take reservations for after June 15, with the understanding that if the situation has not improved by then, they may have to cancel them.
I’m not sure even that is going to help here now that big festivals are canceling. we were looking forward to moving on in July. I’ve given up on May. June is looking bad as well. So, the summer festivals were where my hopes were.

Vermont's governor today backed off slightly on his initial draconian edict on banning ALL future reservations. Inns can now take reservations for after June 15, with the understanding that if the situation has not improved by then, they may have to cancel them..
PhineasSwann said:
I’m not sure even that is going to help here now that big festivals are canceling. we were looking forward to moving on in July. I’ve given up on May. June is looking bad as well. So, the summer festivals were where my hopes were.
Morticia said:
...the summer festivals were where my hopes were.
Even if the "government" tells people to go back to business as usual, I don't think they're going to do it. Not for a long time. Like, a year. Fear is very powerful.
I'm not pinning any hopes on 3 months, or 6. I heard a good analogy today. It's like a patient being put into an induced coma. Our world is on pause for a year. But we still need to pay the mortgage, food and utility bills. Those who cannot do that are in big trouble. :-(
I assume the treasury is printing a lot of money right now. Inflation may be coming. Maybe I'll FINALLY get to raise my rates!

PhineasSwann said:
Morticia said:
...the summer festivals were where my hopes were.
Even if the "government" tells people to go back to business as usual, I don't think they're going to do it. Not for a long time. Like, a year. Fear is very powerful.
I'm not pinning any hopes on 3 months, or 6. I heard a good analogy today. It's like a patient being put into an induced coma. Our world is on pause for a year. But we still need to pay the mortgage, food and utility bills. Those who cannot do that are in big trouble. :-(
I assume the treasury is printing a lot of money right now. Inflation may be coming. Maybe I'll FINALLY get to raise my rates!
And people will be being VERY careful with money for quite a while. And vacations will be the first to go as part of the not necessary column. Travel and get-away was ALWAYS important to me, but we did a lot of camping and visiting friends & family when money was tight. I think you are right. WE are screwed.

I looked at the numbers a different way. If this is as easily spread as they indicated (one person would give it to two) It would take about 28 days to spread to everyone. Even if it took 2 days to transmit, still if the virus was showing up early January, by the time all the social distancing started in March most everyone should have been exposed.

Maine has like 759 cases Massachusetts has 25000
875640D8-3E03-4911-AAFF-F3ED825ABC7F.jpeg

BREAKING NEWS
For those of you who applied for an EIDL loan, the SBA has announced tonight it's changing the rules. For those of you who heard about a $10k upfront on the loan to get you through, that's now been changed.
Applicants can only get $1k for each employee they had on staff on March 30, 2020. So if you just had 2 employees, that's $2,000.
This administration would screw up a 1-car funeral.

BREAKING NEWS
For those of you who applied for an EIDL loan, the SBA has announced tonight it's changing the rules. For those of you who heard about a $10k upfront on the loan to get you through, that's now been changed.
Applicants can only get $1k for each employee they had on staff on March 30, 2020. So if you just had 2 employees, that's $2,000.
This administration would screw up a 1-car funeral..
Well. That basically means we aren’t eligible for any help as we have only one PT employee who doesn’t start working until we have guests.
If anyone knows of any other options, we’d be happy to try them! PPP doesn’t work because of that same PT employee not being around.
Honestly, I didn’t think any of the programs were for super small businesses like ours. Tough to actually realize it.

Back