All Those Towels!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our suites are stocked with more towels than a family of 5 can use in a week. Big towels on a 3 tier rack, a towel and a bath mat by the walk-in shower, and a large basket of white towels of all sizes neatly placed near the bathroom entrance.
What is very interesting is that with so many towels. people seem to choose their favorite and stay with it. We treat washclothes as if they will be lucky to survive two or three stays. We buy them by the boatload at under 50 cents each and if they don't come clean, they become a cleaning rag. We provide extra in the room and it seems guest sense that they would be the towel of choice if you were wiping tar off your feet- which saves our bigger towels to see another day..
knkbnb said:
Our suites are stocked with more towels than a family of 5 can use in a week. Big towels on a 3 tier rack, a towel and a bath mat by the walk-in shower, and a large basket of white towels of all sizes neatly placed near the bathroom entrance.
What is very interesting is that with so many towels. people seem to choose their favorite and stay with it. We treat washclothes as if they will be lucky to survive two or three stays. We buy them by the boatload at under 50 cents each and if they don't come clean, they become a cleaning rag. We provide extra in the room and it seems guest sense that they would be the towel of choice if you were wiping tar off your feet- which saves our bigger towels to see another day.
Our little family of 5 used 19 in one day which partially led to this question...
rrh said:
knkbnb said:
What is very interesting is that with so many towels. people seem to choose their favorite and stay with it. We treat washclothes as if they will be lucky to survive two or three stays. We buy them by the boatload at under 50 cents each and if they don't come clean, they become a cleaning rag. We provide extra in the room and it seems guest sense that they would be the towel of choice if you were wiping tar off your feet- which saves our bigger towels to see another day.
Our little family of 5 used 19 in one day which partially led to this question...
Far be it from me to be the towel police, but that is TOO much!
We're pleading guilty to providing an abundance of towels your honor!
angel_smile.gif

Holy Cow!!
I can understand the standard setting of towels......perhaps the request for an extra towel....allowing guests access to so many towels...I'm not talking about gaining access to the linen closet....I honestly have no clue what or why people would need to use so many.
I am fine with just one towel....for a week
When I used to travel....I never used more than what I needed, just because it was there.
I often thought I could stand in front a window with a breeze

Is that 19 big towels? Or all the towels combined?
each room (2 people) here gets:
4 bath
3 hand
4 wash cloths
2 beach towels
2 "deck towels" to be used to wipe their outside able or other yucky things like shoes.
That's 15 towels all together for 2 people. We have had times where ALL of these towels have been used by 1 nighters! But we have set things up so that guests never have to ask for typical items. I'd rather have too many than not enough. We have the "green" sign also. The majority of people do reuse.

What is very interesting is that with so many towels. people seem to choose their favorite and stay with it. We treat washclothes as if they will be lucky to survive two or three stays. We buy them by the boatload at under 50 cents each and if they don't come clean, they become a cleaning rag. We provide extra in the room and it seems guest sense that they would be the towel of choice if you were wiping tar off your feet- which saves our bigger towels to see another day..
knkbnb said:
rrh said:
knkbnb said:
Towel police? That's TOO funny.
omg_smile.gif

knkbnb said:
rrh said:
knkbnb said:
omg_smile.gif

SweetiePie said:
omg_smile.gif
We've had our new towels out for about 10 days. Already had someone clean their shoes on them, someone else spilled some sort of face cleaner all over a bathmat (and the entire bathroom floor), and the usual 'can't be bothered washing ALL of the makeup off before I dry my face' incidents.
Like the first ding in the new car, we're over having all new towels now. 10 days. Yeesh.

knkbnb said:
rrh said:
knkbnb said:
omg_smile.gif

SweetiePie said:
omg_smile.gif
We've had our new towels out for about 10 days. Already had someone clean their shoes on them, someone else spilled some sort of face cleaner all over a bathmat (and the entire bathroom floor), and the usual 'can't be bothered washing ALL of the makeup off before I dry my face' incidents.
Like the first ding in the new car, we're over having all new towels now. 10 days. Yeesh.
I suggest you start yet another acronym group IETT - Innkeepers for the Ethical Treatment of Towels
teeth_smile.gif

For two people, we provide four bath, two hand and two washclothes. I switch out used towels each day...have never been asked for extra towels.

We offer two bath towels, two hand towels, two facecloths, two older bath towels for the hot tub and an amenity basket in each bathroom that has four older facecloths, makeup removal wipes, puffs, q-tips, etc...
When we do the fluff, we take away the wet facecloths and replace them, toss the bath and hand towels in the dryer unless soiled and only then will we replace them.
If somebody really needs more towels than that, they can use the hot tub towels which are plenty good still, just have some blotching from the hot tub sanitizer on them.
If we get a guest with a real bad case of OCD and they ask, we'll give them more towels, but don't make a practice of it regularly.
Our county government has mandated that all lodgers not replace towels or linens for four days due to the water situation here. Most of our guests "get it" on the need to conserve, so they usually go overboard the other way to only sparingly use water and their towels and such.
As with many things we need to ask our guests to consider, the heavy hand of government regulation is usually a very safe excuse to limit any behavior if they just won't cooperate out of more rational considerations.
We don't feel like we're cheating anybody out of anything, the perception of luxury or pampering and in this day and age, everybody needs to do their part for the betterment of ol' mother earth, even paying guests at B&Bs.
If that famly had used 19 BATH towels, I'd be concerned, but the overall number of towels used doesn't seem that out of whack.
Our towels and linens are stored in our laundry room which is nowhere near any guest room and expept for the ultra rare nosybody snooping around, we've never had anybody go searching for anything without asking.

We also offer: 2 luxury (heavy) bath towels, 2 hand towels, 3 face cloths (which some feel they should use to clean their shoes and make-up off with), and a floor towel.
We ask them to leave towel they want changed on the shower floor. We change anything out that is wet, or is stained. If I see make-up on a bath towel, it is changed so I can get it treated and washed. We have a very large supply of "dog bath towels" now and extra cleaning rags thanks to some guests.
We have a cupboard with pool towels in (we find we replace these due to sun cream stains).

Back