Allowing posts on your blog from others

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Do you allow posts from others on your blog? Do you screen them or just allow them?
The reason I ask...I got one today (I screen them) from someone from a directory praising something I worte about but then stating, 'Go here for more choices...' and their link to their directory. I ask you, why would I want to post a link to a directory to take guests away from my site to look at a whole list of other places to stay?
Unless I would do this by choice because someone had a really good article or recipe, why would I want to lead guests away to look at someone else's offering of a similar thing in a different place?
This is different, to me, from what Swirt does because he controls who and what he posts on his site for local accommodations.

I screen them. Since people have to click on the comment to view it, most don't even see the comments. I had one the other day to say the restaurant I reviewed sucks. It was anon so it never made it on. If they had guts to post their name and email for ME to see, then things would be different.
My blog is not open for comments like 'That place sucks' it is just something I write for guests.

There is no benefit to accepting the directory link commment...the comment sounds generic enough which is usually an indication that they were just posting to drop a link.

There is no benefit to accepting the directory link commment...the comment sounds generic enough which is usually an indication that they were just posting to drop a link..
swirt said:
There is no benefit to accepting the directory link commment...the comment sounds generic enough which is usually an indication that they were just posting to drop a link.
I thought I would just edit the comment to leave only the part about how great what I wrote sounded...
wink_smile.gif
deleting the part about their website.

i screen them ... and yes ''what a great article about winter activities in christmas town ...." deleting the link is what i'd do.
also, we've probably both had posts that blasted some other place or function that we wrote about on our blogs. my blog is my blog, it's not a 'letters to the editor' column or a forum.

i screen them ... and yes ''what a great article about winter activities in christmas town ...." deleting the link is what i'd do.
also, we've probably both had posts that blasted some other place or function that we wrote about on our blogs. my blog is my blog, it's not a 'letters to the editor' column or a forum..
So far I have really only gotten posts that wanted to back link to their own site (other B&B's that I don't know). One, tho, was from JBJ, I think, and that one I let thru.
If this was my own personal blog I would allow commentary that caused some dissent...that's the sort of thing that gets traffic. Heck, how many times has a 'I had wonderful guests' post on here gotten comments, compared with 'guest from hell' posts?
wink_smile.gif

Links to each others blogs I think are valuable and correct me if I am wrong, either you posted the article on blogging or it was Swirt's how to article. It stated we need to post comments and links - it is good for us or something, it stated, to do so. (Can you tell I have a headache - godo terminology 'good for us.'
Each other meaning those not in our state or nearby. After reading that article I attempted to post a comment with url on all blogs I know.

Links to each others blogs I think are valuable and correct me if I am wrong, either you posted the article on blogging or it was Swirt's how to article. It stated we need to post comments and links - it is good for us or something, it stated, to do so. (Can you tell I have a headache - godo terminology 'good for us.'
Each other meaning those not in our state or nearby. After reading that article I attempted to post a comment with url on all blogs I know..
I have links to inns in my state, some within 45 minutes of me. (One of the links is to the inn of the guy who was on here briefly who now owns an inn marketing company).
Yes, having those links to each other's places is good for the blogs, gives them credibility in that the linking blogs also have to do with the same sort of material...inns, B&B's, travel, tourism, etc.
Speaking of which, if anyone else has an inn blog that I don't have already, email me the link.

Each other meaning those not in our state or nearby. After reading that article I attempted to post a comment with url on all blogs I know..
Comments (with or without links in them) on blogs can be helpful in making a blog active and keep people coming back. it is questionable though as to whether it is of much help to a B&B blog. Much depends onthe kinds of comments you get and their value. If it is just a bunch of people link dropping then it is pretty useless to the end user (prosepective guests).
Most links in comments are of little value to the person dropping them. They are recognized as unauthored content by the major search engines so they are discounted pretty heavilly.

Comments (with or without links in them) on blogs can be helpful in making a blog active and keep people coming back. it is questionable though as to whether it is of much help to a B&B blog. Much depends onthe kinds of comments you get and their value. If it is just a bunch of people link dropping then it is pretty useless to the end user (prosepective guests).
Most links in comments are of little value to the person dropping them. They are recognized as unauthored content by the major search engines so they are discounted pretty heavilly.
Links in comments only, tho, right? Links placed by the author of the blog are counted differently, if they are at least applicable and not 'link farming'?

I got one of those comments this morning on my blog also, from the same person I bet. One of the b&b directories that generates so many spam emails to me that I delete anything from them right away. I deleted the comment, too.

I got one of those comments this morning on my blog also, from the same person I bet. One of the b&b directories that generates so many spam emails to me that I delete anything from them right away. I deleted the comment, too..
Bingo! I wondered if anyone else got that!

I got one of those comments this morning on my blog also, from the same person I bet. One of the b&b directories that generates so many spam emails to me that I delete anything from them right away. I deleted the comment, too..
Where is the link to your blog. It is not your newsletter I know. I found it via Jeanne's blog..but didn't see where yours is???

Where is the link to your blog. It is not your newsletter I know. I found it via Jeanne's blog..but didn't see where yours is???
Right on the newsletters page. I know I have to make it more obvious. The link says 'speedy news...read our blog...'
Another change to the website that needs doing. Altho, I am more using the blog for the reverse...I get a lot of incoming referrals from the blog, rather than outgoing views (yes, I know, probably because it is hard to find!)
I may just change the 'history' link which gets little views and have that go to the blog. CSS, CSS, oh why I haven't I learned CSS yet to make this easy on myself...

I have to accept the comments on my blog. I have had comments like, "Read your blog. We need to get together to have coffee and talk about our businesses." Well, that's a dorky comment to allow on a blog, I think. I didn't accept the comment but emailed the person (through our local tourism group) that coffee would be great!

I have to accept the comments on my blog. I have had comments like, "Read your blog. We need to get together to have coffee and talk about our businesses." Well, that's a dorky comment to allow on a blog, I think. I didn't accept the comment but emailed the person (through our local tourism group) that coffee would be great!.
Why do you have to accept comments? We're using the same service and I don't have to accept them.
Wait, you go on to say you didn't accept the comment. OK, which is it?

I have to accept the comments on my blog. I have had comments like, "Read your blog. We need to get together to have coffee and talk about our businesses." Well, that's a dorky comment to allow on a blog, I think. I didn't accept the comment but emailed the person (through our local tourism group) that coffee would be great!.
Why do you have to accept comments? We're using the same service and I don't have to accept them.
I think she just means that she has to okay the comments - accept them - before they are posted. Not that she is required to accept them.

I think she just means that she has to okay the comments - accept them - before they are posted. Not that she is required to accept them.
Ok, yup, I see that now.

Just received an email that also made me wonder...state person saying that B&B's may 'make breakfast only in a private house kitchen'. Almost sure she meant 'may make only breakfast' rather than implying if I have a commercial kitchen I can't make breakfast. I'm still fuming about that one as the implication is that B&B's are destined to be able to do one thing and one thing only unless they have the money and the room to convert a kitchen. And that is NOT the agreement we had last year with the state. But budget cuts brought in a whole new dept that would not do anything agreed upon by the outgoing staff.

Links in comments only, tho, right? Links placed by the author of the blog are counted differently, if they are at least applicable and not 'link farming'?
Right, links placed in the actual content and sidebars will have more weight.

Back