Almost like summer again!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
With guests in the kitchen and putting stuff in our fridge and telling us 'someone' said it was ok. Oh, and asking for early cooked breakfast to go at 6 AM. And, oh, did I forget the guest I found wheeling his bicycle thru the hallway?

Due to early plane flights, I've needed early breakfast a few times when staying at B&Bs. Without fail, they all said something like, "No problem. We'll leave a bag with your name on it on the table, with some fruit, muffins, etc. Plug in the electric kettle if you need hot water. Here's the instant coffee, creamer, etc. Over here's the instant hot chocolate. Here's some pouches of instant oatmeal. We enjoyed your stay. Hope the rest of your trip goes well. Good night."

Due to early plane flights, I've needed early breakfast a few times when staying at B&Bs. Without fail, they all said something like, "No problem. We'll leave a bag with your name on it on the table, with some fruit, muffins, etc. Plug in the electric kettle if you need hot water. Here's the instant coffee, creamer, etc. Over here's the instant hot chocolate. Here's some pouches of instant oatmeal. We enjoyed your stay. Hope the rest of your trip goes well. Good night.".
This one had a specific cooked breakfast. Not just wanting it, wanting something in particular.
Otherwise, yes we do exactly what you said.
The reason I posted was it's feeling like summer all over again. After I let my guard down. And relaxed.
Also had a list of things other guests can't eat that are news to us. And guests who can't walk up the stairs but whose FAMILY won't trade rooms with them so they don't have to.

Due to early plane flights, I've needed early breakfast a few times when staying at B&Bs. Without fail, they all said something like, "No problem. We'll leave a bag with your name on it on the table, with some fruit, muffins, etc. Plug in the electric kettle if you need hot water. Here's the instant coffee, creamer, etc. Over here's the instant hot chocolate. Here's some pouches of instant oatmeal. We enjoyed your stay. Hope the rest of your trip goes well. Good night.".
This one had a specific cooked breakfast. Not just wanting it, wanting something in particular.
The reason I posted was it's feeling like summer all over again. After I let my guard down. And relaxed.
Also had a list of things other guests can't eat that are news to us. And guests who can't walk up the stairs but whose FAMILY won't trade rooms with them so they don't have to.
Madeleine said:
After I let my guard down. And relaxed.
Maddie, Maddie. You know better than to ever do that!

what the??? come on...simplify your life..tell them to take a hike! I know you won't though.
but if they wont change rooms, that is not your problem. early departure. this is what you get ..take it or leave it.
I hate hearing you being taken advantage of again...:-(

what the??? come on...simplify your life..tell them to take a hike! I know you won't though.
but if they wont change rooms, that is not your problem. early departure. this is what you get ..take it or leave it.
I hate hearing you being taken advantage of again...:-(
We premade the special breakfast and put it in the fridge. They can reheat it or eat it cold or forget it's in there. But seriously, folks, if you know you need to eat a specific item 2 hours before breakfast starts and an hour and a half before I'm even out of bed, then make it yourself and bring it along.
The one who got the room upstairs will never know her own family refused to change rooms. She'll only know she had to go upstairs. Luckily for me she's 90 years old and probably won't know anything about writing reviews about how we made her walk upstairs to her room when we 'knew' she was old. (I had NO idea who was coming, one person made the rez for 6 people.)
It's not that busy all the time here anymore so this crowd will be gone before I even remember they annoyed me today. And I have lots of time to go out and enjoy the weather.

It's still logically summer here too.
Got two in who are going to a 2 o'clock wedding so they're hanging around the house till 1.30ish when we're trying to do the rooms. Had couple arrive at 12.40 yesterday ("We know we're early..." so why are you here ringing my dooorbell then??) Told them the room wasn't ready and the should come back after 3. Got 6 nighters in who turned up at 1.45 and caught DH not in a happy place so he read them the riot act (I was out at the butchers at the time), although they're very friendly and chatty I kind of feel there's a soupçon of resentment there for the next 5 days (maybe that's just me).
Physically it's not summer, in fact there's the remainder of a tropical storm heading our way, so the UK is bracing itself for strong winds and heavy rain starting tonight for 24-36 hours.

Got two in who are going to a 2 o'clock wedding so they're hanging around the house till 1.30ish when we're trying to do the rooms. Had couple arrive at 12.40 yesterday ("We know we're early..." so why are you here ringing my dooorbell then??) Told them the room wasn't ready and the should come back after 3. Got 6 nighters in who turned up at 1.45 and caught DH not in a happy place so he read them the riot act (I was out at the butchers at the time), although they're very friendly and chatty I kind of feel there's a soupçon of resentment there for the next 5 days (maybe that's just me).
Physically it's not summer, in fact there's the remainder of a tropical storm heading our way, so the UK is bracing itself for strong winds and heavy rain starting tonight for 24-36 hours..
That rain just left here. It's a doozy.
Our wedding guests are doing the same thing. PEOPLE! There is a whole new town out there. They are all sitting in their rooms. Wedding is at 4. They already told me they won't be leaving here until 3. Why are they sitting in the rooms for 6 HOURS???

Physically it's not summer, in fact there's the remainder of a tropical storm heading our way, so the UK is bracing itself for strong winds and heavy rain starting tonight for 24-36 hours..
Our wedding guests are doing the same thing. PEOPLE! There is a whole new town out there. They are all sitting in their rooms. Wedding is at 4. They already told me they won't be leaving here until 3. Why are they sitting in the rooms for 6 HOURS???
We had a couple here last week, they drove here from London area which took 10 hours. They went out after breakfast on the first morning and were back in their room by 1.45. Apart from going down the local inn for dinner they didn't come out of the room again until breakfast on the 2nd morning, then they packed the car and did the 10 hour drive back home.
Bonkers!!
It's actually been a beautiful afternoon here, I've been digging my tatties ready for storing. That storms is still coming though.

We had a couple here last week, they drove here from London area which took 10 hours. They went out after breakfast on the first morning and were back in their room by 1.45. Apart from going down the local inn for dinner they didn't come out of the room again until breakfast on the 2nd morning, then they packed the car and did the 10 hour drive back home.
Bonkers!!
It's actually been a beautiful afternoon here, I've been digging my tatties ready for storing. That storms is still coming though.
They sound like my typical guests!
Last week had guests from TX (flew), came to our place directly from airport. 3 nights. Barely left their room. Flew back to TX when they left us. What's the point??? They could have just found a place closer to them and stayed in an air conditioned room for 3 nights. Saved a lot of money!

Bonkers!!
They sound like my typical guests!
Last week had guests from TX (flew), came to our place directly from airport. 3 nights. Barely left their room. Flew back to TX when they left us. What's the point??? They could have just found a place closer to them and stayed in an air conditioned room for 3 nights. Saved a lot of money!

Within the space of 5 minutes:
One guest who 'dismissed' me and walked away, suitcase in hand to find her own room. Of course I followed her to be sure she got the right room. But she was walking up to each door along the way looking at the signs. This was a guest who requested an early check in at 1 PM and arrived 2 hours after that. (Yes, Bob, we are seriously considering charging for our time now.)
Next guest handed me a gift. They were here for ONE night FIVE years ago, but they loved it so much they brought a gift.

perfect.
Blech, unreal all the stories in this thread.

Back