Am I Becoming Extinct?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In our case, there are 3 taxes, hotel tax (air collects), provincial VAT and national VAT. The provincial and national only kick in at 30K. But I'm over that limit, so I have to collect it. Some of the Air properties don't. Government has been trying to force Air to at least pay them on their commission, since they are over the limit.... but so far haven't been able to because of technicalities... but they haven't been able to see if others are over the $30K, because of the way data is hidden.

Dead here in Toronto. All my bookings cancelled and hardly any inquiries. With so little to do in the city-why would anyone come.

Dead here in Toronto. All my bookings cancelled and hardly any inquiries. With so little to do in the city-why would anyone come.

Not that different here. We have a room here and there. We make sure that they can use our microwave and we offer to leave them dishes to eat in the dining room if they want to do takeaway. But around here, people are going to the country, not the city. The border is likely not to open for a while... the guess is not until next year.

How awful. If you can find me on FB, post on my page and I'll Share you. Hope things pick up for all of us!

How awful. If you can find me on FB, post on my page and I'll Share you. Hope things pick up for all of us!

It's really more about country than anything else. I just don't think people in this country are travelling. It's definitely not the same atmosphere as to the south. People don't want to get sick. And in my case, the government has been paying me a salary since March, while I was closed. I have one more month of salary as long as my earnings are under $1K a month.

For my state, Air automatically collects and sends the government all the taxes, including city and county taxes.

My state does this too, so glad, but I have one STR in a neighboring state where I have to collect city and county tax. Big pain. My 'cleaning fee' on Air is the amount of tax. I make this plain in my description.

Back