Am I Overreacting?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I second that. It's tough to pop into a new forum full of independent minded innkeepers that are merrily discussing your business- but this forum is such a wealth of information and learning that you'll soon discover that it's all for the better. Welcome
regular_smile.gif
welcome.gif
Thank you for the welcome. I hope one day i will be able to assist another "newbie". Life is all about supportive collaboration. I am so excited about this business.

In response to "Overreacted"
I am the owner of Hidden Cove Bed and Breakfast in Lincoln City, Oregon. I am so sorry if I offended you. I am new to this business. You are right; I probably should have called you and asked you to visit my business before e-mailing you.
I have much to learn. At the ripe old age of 62 years old......I seem to feel the need to be in a hurry to do those things I have always wanted to do. The internet allows for instant connections. I apologize if I was too permissive.
You are welcome to visit my business. I would be happy to give you a tour. I think this is the best and most exciting venture i have ever begun. I look forward to providing loving hospitality to all who enter my doors.
Call me anytime.
Avette L. Gaiser
regular_smile.gif

Hidden Cove Bed and Breakfast.
Well, thanks for checking in. You will see we pull no punches around here but we do mean well.
embaressed_smile.gif

If you have questions...ask away..you will get plenty of feedback and advice.
Innkeepers here are a great bunch of folks, but we all have our own ideas and opinions. But we do want to help if we can.
Can I suggest you do some "redo" on your website...
One very basic thing...it is very hard to navigate and there is no navigation, one must always use the BACK button to get to the home page. Also you must have titles and descriptions for your pages which tell search engines what it is.
Code:
<title>Wix.com - Website built by aveylou based on Country Realty   </title> ( this is not a title you want people to see
Same thing here:
<META NAME="Description" content="This Website was built from Country Realty by aveylou using wix.com " />
This does not tell anyone / search engines anything about your web site/ inn.  Keywords are not meaningful in this day and age of the web 
Besides the fact that the site is all done in Flash..which is also not a good thing in getting you found.
Thank you for your comments concerning my website. I actually designed it myself on a free website design site which, in my opinion, is awesome! I thought I was going to have to pay thousands to get up and running. In my opinion, up is better than "not up". I have had two calls already and the site just got posted a few days ago. I appreciate your feedback. I will attempt to put buttons on all pages. I am such a novice.....I am trying to figure it all out!
The website is one thing.....the service I provide is another....and my property is absolutely gorgeous! So, I may not be perfect, but I am certainly attempting to launch a memorable bed and breakfast for those who come here to enjoy and return to with baited breath!
I am concerned about the negative comments about my business by one of your members because when someone enters hiddencovebedand breakfast.com in the blog search; her derogatory comments come up! This person; does not know me or my business and the information she posted is FALSE. I hope this site concentrates on supporting one another and not tearing each other down.
Aveylou

I am the owner of Hidden Cove Bed and Breakfast in Lincoln City, Oregon. I am so sorry if I offended you. I am new to this business. You are right; I probably should have called you and asked you to visit my business before e-mailing you.
I have much to learn. At the ripe old age of 62 years old......I seem to feel the need to be in a hurry to do those things I have always wanted to do. The internet allows for instant connections. I apologize if I was too permissive.
You are welcome to visit my business. I would be happy to give you a tour. I think this is the best and most exciting venture i have ever begun. I look forward to providing loving hospitality to all who enter my doors.
Call me anytime.
Avette L. Gaiser
regular_smile.gif

Well, thanks for checking in. You will see we pull no punches around here but we do mean well.
embaressed_smile.gif

Innkeepers here are a great bunch of folks, but we all have our own ideas and opinions. But we do want to help if we can.
One very basic thing...it is very hard to navigate and there is no navigation, one must always use the BACK button to get to the home page. Also you must have titles and descriptions for your pages which tell search engines what it is.
Code:
<title>Wix.com - Website built by aveylou based on Country Realty   </title> ( this is not a title you want people to see
Same thing here:
<META NAME="Description" content="This Website was built from Country Realty by aveylou using wix.com " />
This does not tell anyone / search engines anything about your web site/ inn.  Keywords are not meaningful in this day and age of the web 
Besides the fact that the site is all done in Flash..which is also not a good thing in getting you found.
Cat Lady,
Thank you for the help. I designed this website myself. I was amazed at how easily it came together. I appreciate your help. I think that is more the spirit of this industry. I would hope we are here to assist one another, not tear each other down. I have been making changes to my website every day since I first posted it. I see some of the problems and I am adjusting them as fast as I can. I already have had two contacts to inquire about my place. The "couples" thing came up and I got rid of that. I am a fast learner, so i think I can get up to speed eventually. I appreciate your constructive feedback.
"Progress, not perfection", right?
I am also just learning to use a blog. Forgive me if I am not up to speed.
Aveylou
You are welcome..all is conveyed in the spirit of help and giving. I am glad you are open to some help:) We do our best to help here...sometimes it may come across a bit harsh..but we really all do mean well. Best wishes.

Call me anytime.
Avette L. Gaiser
regular_smile.gif

Welcome to the Forum. The original question was - am I overreacting? - and asking for our opinions. We each take lumps in the form of opinion somewhere along the line - mostly when asking for it by the way.
Questions get asked - opinions get given. Dust settles and we come back as friends. We hope you join us as friends.

Call me anytime.
Avette L. Gaiser
regular_smile.gif

Welcome to the Forum. The original question was - am I overreacting? - and asking for our opinions. We each take lumps in the form of opinion somewhere along the line - mostly when asking for it by the way.
Questions get asked - opinions get given. Dust settles and we come back as friends. We hope you join us as friends.
Well said!

A half hour from you is a huge diff from an hour or two. That means this person will be representing YOUR AREA as well.
Either way maybe she didn't want to disturb you by calling? She also sounds very young and not used to more appropriate emails, so she just cut to the chase? The one thing that is missing imo:
Hi my name is Suzie, your place looks great, hope we can work together should we have overflow and vice versa ... Please feel free to stop in any time and take a tour we would love to meet you... etc.
She's not young. After I received this e-mail I called a fellow innkeeper in her area and got a little more info. (edited)
I agree with JBJ. If she had made the e-mail personal to me, I would not have such a strong negative reaction.
To those aspiring innkeepers out there....this is a good lesson on what NOT to do when you open your B&B.

I have edited out any mention of the name of the bed and breakfast.
My original post was not ment to offend. As said by another poster, this is a place where innkeepers gather, bounce ideas off each other and hang on...the answers and opinions here are sometimes brutally honest, but in my opinion a breath of fresh air. These folks will tell you things that others can't or will not.
In a profession which is so personal, I was taken aback at the original e-mail sent to me. Can I get over it? Yes, of course. We all live and learn.

Call me anytime.
Avette L. Gaiser
regular_smile.gif

embaressed_smile.gif

Code:
Same thing here:
Thank you for your comments concerning my website. I actually designed it myself on a free website design site which, in my opinion, is awesome! I thought I was going to have to pay thousands to get up and running. In my opinion, up is better than "not up". I have had two calls already and the site just got posted a few days ago. I appreciate your feedback. I will attempt to put buttons on all pages. I am such a novice.....I am trying to figure it all out!
The website is one thing.....the service I provide is another....and my property is absolutely gorgeous! So, I may not be perfect, but I am certainly attempting to launch a memorable bed and breakfast for those who come here to enjoy and return to with baited breath!
I am concerned about the negative comments about my business by one of your members because when someone enters hiddencovebedand breakfast.com in the blog search; her derogatory comments come up! This person; does not know me or my business and the information she posted is FALSE. I hope this site concentrates on supporting one another and not tearing each other down.
Aveylou
Hi Hiddencove and welcome.
I actually designed it myself on a free website design site which, in my opinion, is awesome!
This is going to sound harsh as I can tell you have a lot of pride in your free website, however, you should abandon it as soon as possible and persue another method of building it. Your "free" website is going to cost you a fortune in misses. Your site currently is a one page Flash site. (Top 10 B&B website mistakes Mistake #7 An ALL Flash Site)
Even if this site was drop dead gorgeous, the all flash nature of it guarantees it will bring you only a fraction of what a well designed site would bring you in terms of traffic.
I have had two calls already and the site just got posted a few days ago.
Did they find you in the search engines? You will not realize how many people don't find you because they will never call and say "guess where we didn't find you" You won't hear from people who don't find you.
If you are stuck on the notion of building it yourself, that's fine (not recommended as a novice) just find a different tool to build it. That one will do nothing but waste your time and leave you with an invisible website.

Call me anytime.
Avette L. Gaiser
regular_smile.gif

embaressed_smile.gif

Code:
Same thing here:
Aveylou
I actually designed it myself on a free website design site which, in my opinion, is awesome!
This is going to sound harsh as I can tell you have a lot of pride in your free website, however, you should abandon it as soon as possible and persue another method of building it. Your "free" website is going to cost you a fortune in misses. Your site currently is a one page Flash site. (Top 10 B&B website mistakes Mistake #7 An ALL Flash Site)
Even if this site was drop dead gorgeous, the all flash nature of it guarantees it will bring you only a fraction of what a well designed site would bring you in terms of traffic.
Did they find you in the search engines? You will not realize how many people don't find you because they will never call and say "guess where we didn't find you" You won't hear from people who don't find you.
If you are stuck on the notion of building it yourself, that's fine (not recommended as a novice) just find a different tool to build it. That one will do nothing but waste your time and leave you with an invisible website.
Thank you for your opinion.

Call me anytime.
Avette L. Gaiser
regular_smile.gif

I understand what you are attempting to say. I am very capable of forgiveness. My main concern was the fact this person put the name of my business in her blog comment and it was published. She also was making false statements about me personally, and my current property and status, thereof. In my humble opinion, her comments were not in the spirit of the bed and breakfast industry and very unprofessional.
If this is the nature of this site, I may re-think my membership here. I will give it some time and see how things go.
Every business venture is a gamble and a risk. I, like all proprietors, are here because we love people, we love our home environments, we love to provide for others, and we are loving ambassadors of our cities and states. I hope to share my native knowledge of the central Oregon coast with all who stay with me. I have much to offer and a lake experience many will cherish and return back to.
Oregon may be suffering from a harsh economic environment, but we Oregonians are strident and tough. " When the going gets tough, the tough get going." Green jobs will bring this state to the forefront of a new technology. Come to Oregon. We rock!

Call me anytime.
Avette L. Gaiser
regular_smile.gif

embaressed_smile.gif

Code:
Same thing here:
Aveylou
Actually, I suggest you go to WIX.com and try this web design site for yourself. It used to be hard for search engines to index flash sites. Wix.com has taken care of that. My site can and will be read by the search engines. I was so impressed with this new site that allows you to build a website effortlessly. I like the fact I had control of what was put on my site. Communicating with a web designer back and forth can be time consuming and expensive; as I have done that with other businesses. I am trying this out. If I get few responses; I will definitely try something else. I value your experience and your comments. We are all entitled to our opinions.

NW BB said:
She's not young. After I received this e-mail I called a fellow innkeeper in her area and got a little more info. They built this property 2 years ago and was trying to rent the rooms as long term rentals, but wasn't successful at it. Soooo, now she thinks she can open a b&b. I give it a year.
I agree with JBJ. If she had made the e-mail personal to me, I would not have such a strong negative reaction.
To those aspiring innkeepers out there....this is a good lesson on what NOT to do when you open your B&B.
Or my other favorite - "You make big bucks so obv I can too!" I mean, paraphrase - "We are moving to the area and I WANT to come over so you can tell me how to run a B&B" OH YOU DO DO YOU?
A place needs a good rep before any innkeeper would refer to them. I have a place in a nearby city that sends me into fits when I view the website and cannot send people their knowingly. Bless her hear she is a neat lady too..
Take this inaccurate information off your blog. To set the record straight:
I built Hidden Cove in 2005. Barrier-free. To commercial code. I have been renting it for 4 years with no vacancies. I decided to open one unit for a bed and breakfast unit because I was too young to retire and have been retired for 11 years. Please edit your blog. You are spreading harmful information about someone you know nothing about. I suggest you go to my website at hiddencovebedand breakfast.com. It has been out for a couple of days and I have had two inquiries already. Go figure? I am also entitled to my opinion. I think you guys are not operating in the spirit of this industry.
Just my humble opinion.

This blogger is spreading innaccurate and false information concerning hiddencovebedandbreakfast.com. This is a mean spirited attempt to slam a new business in her area.

This blogger is spreading innaccurate and false information concerning hiddencovebedandbreakfast.com. This is a mean spirited attempt to slam a new business in her area..
Not to get all wanked out or anything, but if you keep going at it like this, it is going to be hard settle in. You are tossing out some stuff like we are all mean spirited drones. AND if you keep posting your entire web address, it is going to start to look bad. We know who you are already. We were actually coming to your rescue and setting it up so everyone could save face. Take a deep breath- it reminds me of when we got our first bad review!

Call me anytime.
Avette L. Gaiser
regular_smile.gif

embaressed_smile.gif

Code:
Same thing here:
Aveylou
Actually, I suggest you go to WIX.com and try this web design site for yourself. It used to be hard for search engines to index flash sites. Wix.com has taken care of that. My site can and will be read by the search engines. I was so impressed with this new site that allows you to build a website effortlessly. I like the fact I had control of what was put on my site. Communicating with a web designer back and forth can be time consuming and expensive; as I have done that with other businesses. I am trying this out. If I get few responses; I will definitely try something else. I value your experience and your comments. We are all entitled to our opinions.
One blinding red flag about the ability of your free software to build a website that is search engine optimized should be the fact that a google search for your b&b, your town, your state, turns up this forum activity (and it is a forum, not a blog; there is a difference) well before your own website shows up. In fact, I didn't find your website on the first five pages of google returns - I found it through your listing on a B&B directory. Just having your B&B listed in some of the big directories will get you phone calls; it is not because they are finding their website on their own.
Several innkeepers on this forum do their own websites; some better than others. No one is suggesting that you cannot do it yourself but the well-experienced folks (some of who do web design themselves) are giving you FREE advice. Ignore it at your own peril.

I built mine myself using the website builder of my site host. But I have another one in the works that's being done professionally and it is tons better.
Flash hurts you... text is better. Sure, you've been found by a few... but it's better to be found by many!
=)
Kk.

Call me anytime.
Avette L. Gaiser
regular_smile.gif

embaressed_smile.gif

Code:
Same thing here:
Aveylou
welcome.gif
Hiddencove. We hope that you post and learn a lot here.
Your free website is better than some but the "advertising" for WIX is annoying to me as a user. Also, the sound effects. Lastly, it looks much more professional to have contact information that is your domain rather than through one of the free providers.
You're getting "free" advice here from some pretty savvy professionals about web site design and SEO. They're really trying to help you out so I wouldn't discount their input. You can take it for what it's worth. At this point, you really can not be sure where you got your couple of calls, can you? Even if people tell you that it's your website, it could be one of the directories. That's from experience :)
Best of luck!

Call me anytime.
Avette L. Gaiser
regular_smile.gif

embaressed_smile.gif

Code:
Same thing here:
Aveylou
hiddencove said:
Communicating with a web designer back and forth can be time consuming and expensive; as I have done that with other businesses. I am trying this out. If I get few responses; I will definitely try something else. I value your experience and your comments. We are all entitled to our opinions.
I suggest you do what I did and take a course in web design. Often you can use your own company as your project and get two benefits - learning and learning while creating your website.
I also cannot afford a web designer, and while mine is not as impressive as others at least I come up when googled for, and people can find my info and book. I took a course in Dreamweaver and was able to purchase though the university as a student. Dreamweaver is expensive, but not as expensive as having a webmaster.
I CAN tell you that using a free tool to design a website probably creates a website whose value is 0. If this tool was indeed that great, it would not be free. I have found in this life nothing great is free.
RIki

hiddencove said:
Actually, I suggest you go to WIX.com and try this web design site for yourself. It used to be hard for search engines to index flash sites. Wix.com has taken care of that. My site can and will be read by the search engines.
In the spirit of this industry I am going to take time out of my day to show you the shortcomings of your wonderfully free website.
So first lets see what the search engines actually see when they index your website
search engine spider said:
Hidden Cove Bed and Breakfast Hidden Cove Bed and Breakfast on Devil apos s Lake Handicapped Accessible About Us Hidden Cove Bed and Breakfast is located in Neotsu on the north end of Devil apos s Lake in Lincoln City, Oregon. We are one hour west of Salem on the central Oregon coast right across Hwy from Chinook Winds Golf Resort. Devil apos s Lake is an ancient lake , blocks from the Pacific, with the world apos s shortest river, connecting the lake to the ocean. Hiway is between the lake and the Pacific. Come for a visit. Enjoy a homecooked breakfast. Bring your fishing pole or rent a boat across the lake and tie up to our dock. Contact Links gt gt gt gt gt gt gt gt Hidden Cove Bed amp Breakfast About Us gt gt Fusce justo metus tempus ut aliquet eu blandit vel magna Fusce gt gt Fusce justo metus tempus ut aliquet eu blandit vel magna Fusce lit Fusce justo metus tempus ut aliquet eu blandit vel magna Fusce nec orci eget tellus sodales vehicula Maecenas condimentum lectus vel eros Donec id felis et metus lacinia gokjwoe sdfde fd erisdw kso nec doni. Donec id felis et metus lacini id felis et metus lacinia metus lacinia gokjwoe sdfde fd erisdw kso nec doni. Donec id felis et metus lacini id felis et metus lacinia gt gt Fusce justo metus tempus ut aliquet eu blandit vel magna Fusce gt gt Fusce justo metus tempus ut aliquet eu blandit vel magna Fusce Country Life lit Fusce justo metus tempus ut aliquet eu blandit vel magna Fusce nec orci eget tellus sodales vehicula Maecenas condimentum lectus vel eros Donec id felis et metus lacinia gokjwoe sdfde fd erisdw kso nec doni. Donec id felis et metus lacini id felis et metus lacinia Contact Us Hing elit. Fusce tempor arcu ac urn. Fusce congue eleifend mi. Pellentesque elementum rhoncus sed, gravida sit amet, nulla. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Aenean condimentum, odio quis pharetra dignissim, diam nisl dignissim diam, eu interdum magna erat sit amet felis. Etiam non felis at urna tempus luctus. In ullamcorper nisl congue elit. In convallis nibh vitae justo. Quisque ac lectus vitae sem consequat sagittis. Donec turpis nisi, feugiat sollicitudin, fermentum vitae, volutpat sed, ligula.
I'm not sure why you think it would be advantageous to have more Esperanto (or is that Latin) than English.

What if someone had Flash disabled, what would they see? (People disable it because it blocks many of the most intrusive ads.)
hiddencove2.gif

That's not very helpful or informative text.

What if a person has Javascript disabled?
hiddencove1.gif

Hmmm how does this company think people are going to be able to read that. (Yes that is the actual size it comes up when javascript is disabled).

Then there is the issue that you really only have one page with a site like that.
Want to send them to your home page: http://www.hiddencovebedandbreakfast.com/
want to send them to your directions page: http://www.hiddencovebedandbreakfast.com/
how about sending them to the Lake Level Unit page: http://www.hiddencovebedandbreakfast.com/
From a potential guest point of view, you can't send them to specific info. From a search engine point of view (even if you got rid of the nonsense latin) there is only one page of limited content to spider. You are fishing with a a single bare hook while everyone else that has a non-wix website is fishing with a baited hook for each page. I'm sure a kid with a bare hook can catch a fish or two as well...but if you are a serious angler you aren't going to go to a fishing forum and proclaim how great a bare hook is are you?
When I say abandon the work you have done on the website so far, I am not saying it to be mean spirited. I am not doing it to express my opinion. I am doing it to help you avoid a huge mistake that you will not realize is a mistake for a long time.
Muirford's point about this forum showing up for your name higher than your own site is a harbinger of things to come if you stay with your current development choice.

This blogger is spreading innaccurate and false information concerning hiddencovebedandbreakfast.com. This is a mean spirited attempt to slam a new business in her area..
I am spreading nothing! I have removed any reference to your business name or location. If it is listed on this forum (not blog), it is listed by YOU, not me.
I'm sorry that you are not taking the feedback from these experienced innkeepers well. They are trying to help you! Take a deep breath, try to hear what they are saying to you without being defensive.
Even after sending me two threatening e-mails which I have not posted on this forum, I still wish you luck.

Back