Am I the only tired of this question?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Answer phone and the first thing the caller asks is, 'What's the name of the owner?'
Does anyone actually answer this question? WIth your real name?

Lately I've been getting "can I speak with Mr or Mrs XXXX?". Since I'm an old maid I now respond that no one with that name lives here and hang up.

Nope, only with another question - who wants to know, and why?

Very tired of it! I reply with my own question...who's asking and if they just give me their name, I ask the purpose of their call. These calls have gotten well out of hand. The other morning I received a call at 7:30AM - I thought there was some law in place about that!

I get the calls asking for the owner or marketing person. Sorry they are not here at the moment. I have given my name when I answer so I use the neutral they.

I would say "why do you want to know?" Then if the usual ...Hang up.

I have comercial telephone preference so it is illegal in this country for them to call me which means when they call I say if you don't hang up and take me off your lists I will have you prosecuted which is great!!!

We get those here at the Inn too. but we defer them to the Powers That Be...its kind of nice telling them that we really don't have the authority to give them any kind of answer to their questions and could you call blah bla at duh duh duh...:)-

We get those here at the Inn too. but we defer them to the Powers That Be...its kind of nice telling them that we really don't have the authority to give them any kind of answer to their questions and could you call blah bla at duh duh duh...:)-.
birdwatcher said:
We get those here at the Inn too. but we defer them to the Powers That Be...its kind of nice telling them that we really don't have the authority to give them any kind of answer to their questions and could you call blah bla at duh duh duh...:)-
For awhile I had the phone number of a resort in the Cayman Islands on the bulletin board. Whenever I got one of those persistent callers, I gave out that number. It rang the fax machine.

We get those here at the Inn too. but we defer them to the Powers That Be...its kind of nice telling them that we really don't have the authority to give them any kind of answer to their questions and could you call blah bla at duh duh duh...:)-.
birdwatcher said:
For awhile I had the phone number of a resort in the Cayman Islands on the bulletin board. Whenever I got one of those persistent callers, I gave out that number. It rang the fax machine.
OH that is too funny. ONly you would think of that...wish I had :)

I have comercial telephone preference so it is illegal in this country for them to call me which means when they call I say if you don't hang up and take me off your lists I will have you prosecuted which is great!!!.
We're also TPS registered, so when I get the calls I ask for their company name and details, and the name of the caller and I go to the TPS web site and report them. Don't hear from them again.
The ones that have been driving me nuts lately are the "congratulations you have won a Carribean cruise". I always press the number to get through to a human, they're always in the US and I keep them hanging on the phone for as long as I can. Some of them get very nasty!!!

I have comercial telephone preference so it is illegal in this country for them to call me which means when they call I say if you don't hang up and take me off your lists I will have you prosecuted which is great!!!.
We're also TPS registered, so when I get the calls I ask for their company name and details, and the name of the caller and I go to the TPS web site and report them. Don't hear from them again.
The ones that have been driving me nuts lately are the "congratulations you have won a Carribean cruise". I always press the number to get through to a human, they're always in the US and I keep them hanging on the phone for as long as I can. Some of them get very nasty!!!
Here businesses cannot get on the 'Do Not Call' list, which I think is what you're calling TPS. It is a royal pain as the telemarketers all know this and are happy to tell you that they're going to keep calling. You can tell them to take you off but the whole DNC registry here is mostly a joke. Partly because anyone can have any phone number and name show on the caller id so I report them but they're not using real names or numbers.

Here businesses cannot get on the 'Do Not Call' list, which I think is what you're calling TPS. It is a royal pain as the telemarketers all know this and are happy to tell you that they're going to keep calling. You can tell them to take you off but the whole DNC registry here is mostly a joke. Partly because anyone can have any phone number and name show on the caller id so I report them but they're not using real names or numbers.
I have done the *69 to get the last number that called and when I call it back, it is a recording that the number is not in service. How can it be not in service? It just called ME! And I love the dead air calls hat I rush to the phone to answer 5 or more times per day.

I have done the *69 to get the last number that called and when I call it back, it is a recording that the number is not in service. How can it be not in service? It just called ME! And I love the dead air calls hat I rush to the phone to answer 5 or more times per day.
K, that is another trick they pull, but I believe *69 uses the same system as Caller ID does and since any # and any name can be put in there, they are covered. Another thing is that they will just call back using another number and name. One of those online y e llow p ages companies kept calling day after day with me telling them to remove me from their lists. The same person called the next day from another number on the ID used a different name & slightly different name for the co.
My phone # is a residential number...and I did place it with DNC directory, but they still call. It is a crock.

K, that is another trick they pull, but I believe *69 uses the same system as Caller ID does and since any # and any name can be put in there, they are covered. Another thing is that they will just call back using another number and name. One of those online y e llow p ages companies kept calling day after day with me telling them to remove me from their lists. The same person called the next day from another number on the ID used a different name & slightly different name for the co.
My phone # is a residential number...and I did place it with DNC directory, but they still call. It is a crock.
Ditto

"Who may I say is calling?" They'd hang up a lot of the time.
No good comes from answering "Unknown Caller" calls.....(this is not a political statement, just another source of unsolicited calls) now a lot of the political campaign callers are coming up that way. Huh? I'd think that they would want you to know who was calling?

Unfortunately many of the nuisance calls are from outside the UK so they don't give a hoot about the TPS either.

I have never been asked that question. May I speak to the owner please, yes.

From the thread title..........thought the question would have been
"So, what do you do all day ?"

As part of this which hacks me off is we have just had a party of ladies in full house every day and one of the ladies who came a day earlier asked me if she could book the whole place for the same conference and same dates next year said yes. So when the other ladies asked to rebook we were already full and I politely explained. My mum and dad had come to help out as large numbers and one of the ladies had spoken to them and they had said she would have to speak to me about it. So she came upstairs as I was checking people out and said "I have spoken to the owners and they say I have to speak to you about reservations" I was temped to say no you havn't as you havn't spoken to me! It was not the way to get me to bend for them I can tell you! One thing I have learned in hospitality is never asume the person you are speaking to is not important.

Back