Amazing Guests

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domsmom

Reaction score
I just have to say that many of my guests are so awesome! I have new guests and return guests this week during a huge convention that is in town. One guest came down for breakfast this morning and his toilet had flooded the bathroom (which caused a downpour through a ceiling), he was more worried than I was. I was concerned and needed to fix the problem, but he was ok and that was most important. I then asked another guest if it would be a problem for him to use his toilet until I got it fixed (as his bath is in the hall) and he said "no problem". For some guests this situation could have been treacherous. The problem is fixed and everyone was so understanding.

It is true some people are so cool. My neighbour was having a new bathroom put in in one of her bathrooms part of a group half of which was staying with me. The bathroom was supposed to be finished by Wed to give extra time to finish cleaning and tidying round and in case of overrun as wasn't let till Saturday. Friday came no sink, no toilet and no shower and all the tiles need grouting! Tabs is going mad with plumber (I did warn her he is a bit of a cowboy that is why he is sooo cheap but that is another story) there are no other rooms in town whole thing is a nightmare but she rang them and explained and said I have managed to find you another room as back up and they said we don't care we will just share with the other ladies don't worry! Bless.

My 3 plumbing stories:
#1 -We were 3/w shared in early days. Guest comes down and tells me the bathroom sink is not draining. O get plunger and plunge away nothing. He thinks perhaps problem is in trap so I go get a monkey wrench. Guests know DH is incapacitated. Guest in next room hears us working and comes in. Both go to their vehicles and get tools. It is decided the problem is farther down the pipe but we have no idea what or where. I had picked up a device on the "let's get rid of rack" that was an air pressure thingy for pipes. DH is saying it will blow put the pipes. Sobeit! The men used it and it worked. They were very proud of themselves for fixing the problem for me.
#2 - last summer the drain pipe in the shared bath decided to divore itselve from the shower drain - discovered in morning as ceiling tiles crashes down in the diidg room. The ONLY guest who did NOT get a shower was the one with a reservation. The other 2 rooms were friens who were walk-ins so they could use the shower in the private bath. Tried to give a comp to the reservation lady but she would not hear of it - said she had been in the Air Force, no problem - but she agreed to a 50%. Super nice lady.
#3 - DH doing dishes in afternoon (not the normal time) and he says we do not have hot water. Check it and he is right. It is 4:30 on Friday and is now an "emergency" call rate. Hey, I have guests and need hot water. Plumber comes out and almost laughs because the temp is turned soen to almost off BUT there is an overflow thingy that is disconnected somehow and he fixes that also after turning the temp up to normal. Thinking about it later - after gradually turning the temp back DOWN because the water was TOO HOT! - DH said they took a VERY long shower (and filled the claw-foot also) and we figure that couple totally drained the water tank and when he started doing dishes it had not recovered. $68 plumbing bill.

Another really nice guest story...guests are here with dog. They have been regaling me with stories of their long-haired dog's love of mud. Inward cringe. Dog found a lovely mud flat yesterday and the guests took him to a 'wash n go' dog grooming service and had him tidied up before they came back.

Back