Ambasador for your town

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey Camb

Reaction score
there are schemes in other towns where volunteers wear badges that are asily identifiable and people ca stop them and ask for information wondered if anyone has this where they are and if so how does it work? ie well or crap all?

Visitor centers in the USA are usually manned by volunteers. They don't walk around wearing badges, they just man the visitor center. I remember one story here on the forum years ago where an innkeeper manned the visitor center to send the visitors to them, or a realtor had a small bribe going on to send people to them. I think there was one where another establishment would go in and destroy (or take) the other inns rack cards so they would be the only one there.

They have that sort of thing when there is a major event in a city or town. Just not every day stuff.

Visitor centers in the USA are usually manned by volunteers. They don't walk around wearing badges, they just man the visitor center. I remember one story here on the forum years ago where an innkeeper manned the visitor center to send the visitors to them, or a realtor had a small bribe going on to send people to them. I think there was one where another establishment would go in and destroy (or take) the other inns rack cards so they would be the only one there..
Ours are mainly employed which makes me even more cross with them this week as bumped into a nice man in the street as I was comming back from the shops asked me directions turned out that they had been to the tourist information and asked about accommodation and, and I quote "he practically laughed in our face" when they asked about off street parking. These are people who are supposed to be PAID to advertise our town to tourists!!!! and because of that man they nearly went on to the next town drives me mad!!!

Sort of but only in the summer. They don't wander around but they have a kiosk right downtown. There's a test they have to take to make sure they actually know where things are. The town keeps trying to have the shop managers train the employees but the employees and the managers don't live here so they don't care if you can find parking or not. Or a place to eat. Or a place to stay.
I'll do it myself if I see someone standing on a corner looking lost. 'Can I help you find something?' Or, if they have a map and are looking this way and that. Or, if I hear them asking each other, "Where is it? We passed it somewhere."

We have "ambassadors" here in our downtown business area in a distinct geographical area. They wear a very distinctive uniform with name badges. They can assist people with questions, they call on business owners to see if everything is going OK, and they also have crews that use small street sweepers and they pick up litter.
These folks are paid by our uptown business association which is a non-profit, funded by fees paid by the local business owners and some grant money.
We have a downtown convention and visitors' center which is open 6 days a week for visitors to get local/regional/State info. It's staffed by paid and volunteer folks. It's a quasi governmental agency under the City/County government.

Sort of but only in the summer. They don't wander around but they have a kiosk right downtown. There's a test they have to take to make sure they actually know where things are. The town keeps trying to have the shop managers train the employees but the employees and the managers don't live here so they don't care if you can find parking or not. Or a place to eat. Or a place to stay.
I'll do it myself if I see someone standing on a corner looking lost. 'Can I help you find something?' Or, if they have a map and are looking this way and that. Or, if I hear them asking each other, "Where is it? We passed it somewhere.".
the idea is it would be volunteers you would wear your badge every day as you go about your every day business and people could stop you and ask you for help whenever. I saw this scheme somewhere but I can't remember where.

There is very popular, very distinct, group of people around me that is the cause for the area to be the #1 tourist destination in the entire state. The CVB of that county put in motion an ambassador program. It's very successful and quite fun, actually. Those of us who signed up to be ambassadors wear a distinctive apron or button and we are trained in the knowledge of the area. The annual travel guide that the CVB publishes makes big mention of the ambassador program and it's members. We are scattered all over immediate area and surrounding areas. If you'd like more info, privately email me and I'll try to help out.

There is very popular, very distinct, group of people around me that is the cause for the area to be the #1 tourist destination in the entire state. The CVB of that county put in motion an ambassador program. It's very successful and quite fun, actually. Those of us who signed up to be ambassadors wear a distinctive apron or button and we are trained in the knowledge of the area. The annual travel guide that the CVB publishes makes big mention of the ambassador program and it's members. We are scattered all over immediate area and surrounding areas. If you'd like more info, privately email me and I'll try to help out..
Would like that but you don't have any contact details so if you would like to email me I have mine on.

There is very popular, very distinct, group of people around me that is the cause for the area to be the #1 tourist destination in the entire state. The CVB of that county put in motion an ambassador program. It's very successful and quite fun, actually. Those of us who signed up to be ambassadors wear a distinctive apron or button and we are trained in the knowledge of the area. The annual travel guide that the CVB publishes makes big mention of the ambassador program and it's members. We are scattered all over immediate area and surrounding areas. If you'd like more info, privately email me and I'll try to help out..
I'll bring that up. I wouldn't mind doing that at all while I'm walking the dog or something. NOT when I'm busy, then I want to go and do and be done, but I'll help anyway, just don't want to be stopped!

Would like that but you don't have any contact details so if you would like to email me I have mine on.
On it's way.

I am the tourist info center for my tiny city - official and our City Manager always adds unpaid when she talks about our info center. The Library and shops send people to me when they are looking for info or want to see the 1778 log house. I wear my apron when I am out and about and have signs on the car. Here, unless they moved here 1 week ago, everyone knows where the park, Library, shops, rail-trail are - the only thing many do not know about is that we have a bed & breakfast in town.

I'll bring that up. I wouldn't mind doing that at all while I'm walking the dog or something. NOT when I'm busy, then I want to go and do and be done, but I'll help anyway, just don't want to be stopped!
thats the idea of an apron or badge or whatever - its on then your on duty so to speak its off then you are off duty. To be honest I doubt you'd get stopped much but its more about having people who know about your town and are willing to help advertise it. We get so many people who say "oh I didn't know you had a ----"

thats the idea of an apron or badge or whatever - its on then your on duty so to speak its off then you are off duty. To be honest I doubt you'd get stopped much but its more about having people who know about your town and are willing to help advertise it. We get so many people who say "oh I didn't know you had a ----"
To the chagrin of some who know me, I am ALWAYS on duty.

We have a visitor center for the lake. I am one of the people who are administrators for it's face book page!

Back