Amenities

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgruning

Reaction score
Hello! We are a small overnight lodging (NOT a B&B), we do offer soap and jacuzzi bath gel pillows, hair dryers, robes and nice towels. We do not offer shampoo/conditioner. We do not advertise this either. Is it typical to offer this?

Welcome to the forum!
Question: Do you rent your lodging for single night stays? If so, then I would say you should provide the shampoo. if it is a "rental" then they should bring their own. Hope that helps. The jacuzzi tub makes me think that you probably should.
Question: Has anyone asked you for it? Or where is it? If you provide robes, hair dryres, bath gel, I think shampoo DEFINITELY should be included!
welcome.gif

PS Inn is a word that is interchangeable with B&B in this country, so I bet you have guests who think they will get breakfast (unless you clearly state it EVERYWHERE on your website - even then, people don't read!)

Hi Joey:
We are an overnight guest lodging, so we always hope to have booking for 2+ nights stay or more. This person was a 1 nighter in our two bedroom/two bathroom guest suit. He stated he didn't have enough soap (there were 4 bars) and that he did not have shampoo. This is the first time we had a comment. I just read that for Inns, Cottages, and some B&B's they it is not as typical as hotels. Your thoughts are appreciated.

In regards to the breakfast, we do state it and I make sure when they call. I also offer a breakfast basket as an upsale. We do not have a kitchen in our Inn AT ALL. No stove what so ever. So I couldn't cook if I wanted to. All the rooms are used for parlors, sitting, bedrooms, bathrooms, etc.

Hi Joey:
We are an overnight guest lodging, so we always hope to have booking for 2+ nights stay or more. This person was a 1 nighter in our two bedroom/two bathroom guest suit. He stated he didn't have enough soap (there were 4 bars) and that he did not have shampoo. This is the first time we had a comment. I just read that for Inns, Cottages, and some B&B's they it is not as typical as hotels. Your thoughts are appreciated..
sgruning said:
Hi Joey:
We are an overnight guest lodging, so we always hope to have booking for 2+ nights stay or more. This person was a 1 nighter in our two bedroom/two bathroom guest suit. He stated he didn't have enough soap (there were 4 bars) and that he did not have shampoo. This is the first time we had a comment. I just read that for Inns, Cottages, and some B&B's they it is not as typical as hotels. Your thoughts are appreciated.
For me, if I saw the other bath amenities I would be searching for the shampoo. If there is one amenity guests DO use it is the shampoo. Are you considering adding it? Or have an amenities basket for those who "forgot" their own if you want to do it that way.

In regards to the breakfast, we do state it and I make sure when they call. I also offer a breakfast basket as an upsale. We do not have a kitchen in our Inn AT ALL. No stove what so ever. So I couldn't cook if I wanted to. All the rooms are used for parlors, sitting, bedrooms, bathrooms, etc..
sgruning said:
In regards to the breakfast, we do state it and I make sure when they call. I also offer a breakfast basket as an upsale. We do not have a kitchen in our Inn AT ALL. No stove what so ever. So I couldn't cook if I wanted to. All the rooms are used for parlors, sitting, bedrooms, bathrooms, etc.
Do you think you are losing any business due to no breakfast? Is there a place you can send guests with a voucher? I know some inns do this and it is quite nice, if the guests know in advance. You can sell it as a "Sleep in and breakfast at your leisure" in your marketing.

Welcome!
You are marketing your property as a "luxury inn" on your website and state you are "more than what you get from a bed & breakfast". There is no bed and breakfast I know that does not supply shampoo or charge for room freshening if less than 3 nights. If you are putting yourselves out there to be better than a b&b, you might want to rethink these things.
I didn't see anything on your website that said breakfast was not included.

If you don't want to do everything you could do shower jel that is a shampoo as well? we do shampoo and shower gel in the little bottles but find most people bring their own anyway so it does save on running costs as about 50 bottles lasts about 6 months and we have 12 rooms just to give you a rough idea of consumption.

Thank you Breakfast Diva! Very good points from you and others. MUCH APPRECIATED and food for thought - no pun intended.
I could do vouchers and have thought about it. However, In my recent survey, I am getting comments that it is discounts that will bring guests back. And when rating the value of the room, I am getting good - not excellent. Compared to others in my area, I am average in rate - not the highest and not the lowest.
I believe we have a great Inn, very spacious suites, new mattresses, keep the linens nice, keep it very clean, but I honestly can not afford lower rates. Taxes kill me.
If I am going to supply a breakfast of some sort, add shampoos to the inventory, etc. Will it really bring me more traffic??? We do have microwaves, toasters, small fridges, I can add the shampoo, but I have no way to clean up breakfast even if it were delivered. I am trying to see the ROI - UGH......

Thank you Breakfast Diva! Very good points from you and others. MUCH APPRECIATED and food for thought - no pun intended.
I could do vouchers and have thought about it. However, In my recent survey, I am getting comments that it is discounts that will bring guests back. And when rating the value of the room, I am getting good - not excellent. Compared to others in my area, I am average in rate - not the highest and not the lowest.
I believe we have a great Inn, very spacious suites, new mattresses, keep the linens nice, keep it very clean, but I honestly can not afford lower rates. Taxes kill me.
If I am going to supply a breakfast of some sort, add shampoos to the inventory, etc. Will it really bring me more traffic??? We do have microwaves, toasters, small fridges, I can add the shampoo, but I have no way to clean up breakfast even if it were delivered. I am trying to see the ROI - UGH.......
sgruning said:
If I am going to supply a breakfast of some sort, add shampoos to the inventory, etc. Will it really bring me more traffic??? We do have microwaves, toasters, small fridges, I can add the shampoo, but I have no way to clean up breakfast even if it were delivered. I am trying to see the ROI - UGH......
I don't think it's a problem that you don't provide breakfast, you just need to make it perfectly clear on your website. Also, if you don't serve breakfast, then don't compare yourself to a b&b...you are comparing apples and oranges. I would suggest you compare yourself to a hotel or vacation rental and emphasize everything you do better.
As far as shampoo, it's a minimal expense and every guest will not be using it. Most people will use their own, but for alot of folks folks traveling by air, they either have a tiny one which will run out on their trip or will assume that all lodging places provide it. Especially now with baggage fees, people are opting to not check bagage and can only take very limited liquids onboard. As a test, why don't you buy some travel sized shampoo, put them in the rooms and see if people use them.

If I am going to supply a breakfast of some sort, add shampoos to the inventory, etc. Will it really bring me more traffic??? We do have microwaves, toasters, small fridges, I can add the shampoo, but I have no way to clean up breakfast even if it were delivered. I am trying to see the ROI - UGH.......
If you don't have a kitchen and you only clean guest suites when they leave, forget food altogether. I wouldn't even have toasters, micros & fridges if you are not in the rooms daily cleaning up.
Just having guests take cookies to the rooms leaves a trail all thru the house! I can't imagine if they were all cooking Hungry Man dinners in the micro!
Yeah, shampoo is not gonna bring them back if they want discounts! However, keep in mind guests will SAY one thing and respond to something completely different. If they're saying discounts it may mean they don't see the value in what you're offering. Rather than discount offer the breakfast basket for free. Include daily cleaning. For a discount to work it usually has to be substantial (if they're saying it's discounting that will bring them back).
I'm guessing you have outside employment and that's why the charge for cleaning. Paying someone won't work then because it will cost way more than you save. But I would stop stating there's a charge and just don't clean until they leave.
The breakfast could be easy muffins, yogurt, boxed cereal and milk. Throw in a hard boiled egg or two. You won't spend as much on that as you would on a discount and you get the value box ticked.

I wouldn't ever worry about not getting excellent for value we had a whole thread on it not long ago and finally concluded that you will never achieve it no matter what you do so not to worry about it.

If you don't have a kitchen and you only clean guest suites when they leave, forget food altogether. I wouldn't even have toasters, micros & fridges if you are not in the rooms daily cleaning up.
Just having guests take cookies to the rooms leaves a trail all thru the house! I can't imagine if they were all cooking Hungry Man dinners in the micro!
Yeah, shampoo is not gonna bring them back if they want discounts! However, keep in mind guests will SAY one thing and respond to something completely different. If they're saying discounts it may mean they don't see the value in what you're offering. Rather than discount offer the breakfast basket for free. Include daily cleaning. For a discount to work it usually has to be substantial (if they're saying it's discounting that will bring them back).
I'm guessing you have outside employment and that's why the charge for cleaning. Paying someone won't work then because it will cost way more than you save. But I would stop stating there's a charge and just don't clean until they leave.
The breakfast could be easy muffins, yogurt, boxed cereal and milk. Throw in a hard boiled egg or two. You won't spend as much on that as you would on a discount and you get the value box ticked.
Alibi Ike said:
Had to laugh at the muffins comment, I took my daughter to an event and she acted like she had never seen a muffin before. admittedly after Dr Atkins crashed my innkeeping life, I have not made muffins since! So some peole do like muffins delivered to their door. :)

Back