AmEx discount payments

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Anyone else notice that AmEx is taking their discount payments earlier and earlier in the month? It used to be the first or second of the following month, now it's 5 days before the end of the month.

I stopped taking AmEx several years ago...they just charged us too much. Since I have stopped, not once (at least when it was over the phone) did I ever lose a reservation because I told them we don't take it. Maybe if I got business travelers I would reconsider, but it doesn't happen with my particular location.

They are trying to pay back their TARP money so as to get out from under the government thumb; so that would explain it. However, they have angered so many of their customers with their indiscriminate cutting of credit limits that many refuse to even use their AMEX card anymore. I know I won't, and a lot of merchants refuse to take them anymore as well. When I mentioned that to a service rep last year AMEX acted surprised however, they haven't changed any of their policies.

They are trying to pay back their TARP money so as to get out from under the government thumb; so that would explain it. However, they have angered so many of their customers with their indiscriminate cutting of credit limits that many refuse to even use their AMEX card anymore. I know I won't, and a lot of merchants refuse to take them anymore as well. When I mentioned that to a service rep last year AMEX acted surprised however, they haven't changed any of their policies..
We have gotten fewer AmEx cards this year. Last year it was about 20% AmEx. This year only 11%. More guests are paying cash and by check this year than in the past. Not tons, but more.

My Amex users are lower this year as well...
This has been a ploy with a lot of companies lately - even me electric company which hit the news and got bad publicity when elderly on SS received 2 bills in some months.
I changed the way my AMEX discount is taken...I have it taken out with each transaction. This was a big benefit when we got mostly AMEX for our business travelers. Then the money I have in the account is mine...no saving a % for the end of the month withdrawl.

I stopped taking Amex too. Everyone who has an Amex card also has a Visa or a Master Card. They're just not worth the agg. Not merchant friendly. imho

My Amex users are lower this year as well...
This has been a ploy with a lot of companies lately - even me electric company which hit the news and got bad publicity when elderly on SS received 2 bills in some months.
I changed the way my AMEX discount is taken...I have it taken out with each transaction. This was a big benefit when we got mostly AMEX for our business travelers. Then the money I have in the account is mine...no saving a % for the end of the month withdrawl..
We do it like it you Copperhead.
Its the least used card by guests and with our overall volume, we didn't feel like messing with anything that processed differently than the other cards we accept.

I stopped taking Amex too. Everyone who has an Amex card also has a Visa or a Master Card. They're just not worth the agg. Not merchant friendly. imho.
Or customer friendly. I think their actions are going to come back to bite them in the butt.

Dh has noticed when paying our personal credit cards, that they are all changing the due dates. He feels strongly that they are trying to get us to pay late in error so they can up our percentage rate
Riki

Dh has noticed when paying our personal credit cards, that they are all changing the due dates. He feels strongly that they are trying to get us to pay late in error so they can up our percentage rate
Riki.
Absolutely PLUS hit you for the $40 late fee.

We as a society get the regulatory and government oversight levels or lack thereof due to not voting and by handing the reins of government over to big business and lobbyists. Deal with it.

Riki.
egoodell said:
Riki
That is absolutely true. What I've found tho, is going with a credit union (you may be able to join thru your job) is much better. The rate I pay there has not gone up in 5 years and the due date has not changed. An article in the NYT dealt with the new regs coming up and said that most credit unions are far and away set and then some for the new regs.

Riki.
egoodell said:
Riki
That is absolutely true. What I've found tho, is going with a credit union (you may be able to join thru your job) is much better. The rate I pay there has not gone up in 5 years and the due date has not changed. An article in the NYT dealt with the new regs coming up and said that most credit unions are far and away set and then some for the new regs.
Bree said:
We do have a credit union account. We plan to get a cc from them when we start traveling abroad as it appears they don't hit you with all the extra fees when used overseas.
But we still have two cards with the 0% fee that we are paying off building expenses, and he's still playing the credit card game to keep it low so they get paid off faster right now.
Once they take away that 0% then we'll probably switch.
Riki

Amen, Tim. The people that complain the loudest always seem to be the people that participate the least...hubs works with a bunch of gomers that are now screaming about the results of the last couple of elections. Come to find out, none of them voted. Duh.

Amen, Tim. The people that complain the loudest always seem to be the people that participate the least...hubs works with a bunch of gomers that are now screaming about the results of the last couple of elections. Come to find out, none of them voted. Duh..
i am complaining and i vote. i vote for dogcatcher. it's a right i fully enjoy. i am complaining about the card i have but will no longer use when they rais my rate to 19% next month. i didn't overspend myself. i don't have payments i cannot make. i will not pay for someone else's mistakes if i can help it. no one voted for credit cards to make these big changes. credit card issuers gave credit cards to people who had no visible means of support and now i am going to pay for this? no a chance. i can live without a credit card. i pay cash when i shop. i send checks to buy goods. dh is still holding back but he'll come around. the credit card companies can't live with out people like us who pay their bills on time. let them stick it to good people and all they'll be left with is bad debt.

Amen, Tim. The people that complain the loudest always seem to be the people that participate the least...hubs works with a bunch of gomers that are now screaming about the results of the last couple of elections. Come to find out, none of them voted. Duh..
i am complaining and i vote. i vote for dogcatcher. it's a right i fully enjoy. i am complaining about the card i have but will no longer use when they rais my rate to 19% next month. i didn't overspend myself. i don't have payments i cannot make. i will not pay for someone else's mistakes if i can help it. no one voted for credit cards to make these big changes. credit card issuers gave credit cards to people who had no visible means of support and now i am going to pay for this? no a chance. i can live without a credit card. i pay cash when i shop. i send checks to buy goods. dh is still holding back but he'll come around. the credit card companies can't live with out people like us who pay their bills on time. let them stick it to good people and all they'll be left with is bad debt.
I also vote in EVERY election so I have the right to complain. He who does not vote has no right to
potty-mouth.gif
ing.
I got a letter from my cc company telling me they were raising my interest rate by almost 4 points as of May 1. I called and informed them they were NOT going to do that as I had paid my bill ON TIME even though they kept changing the due date and I was not about to pay for anyone who was NOT making their payments. I was assured that I was not paying for anyone else (yea right!) and the due date was not being moved around (same response as previous), and yes, your interest rate will remaind the same as it has been. (Still usurious but not higher)

I also vote in EVERY election so I have the right to complain. He who does not vote has no right to
potty-mouth.gif
ing.
I got a letter from my cc company telling me they were raising my interest rate by almost 4 points as of May 1. I called and informed them they were NOT going to do that as I had paid my bill ON TIME even though they kept changing the due date and I was not about to pay for anyone who was NOT making their payments. I was assured that I was not paying for anyone else (yea right!) and the due date was not being moved around (same response as previous), and yes, your interest rate will remaind the same as it has been. (Still usurious but not higher)
We are happy that we've been using our debit card for over a year and stopped using credit cards completely. We just have some building deb to pay off and then will only have two van payments, a credit union line of credit and a mortgage.
So we need to pay of the last of the cc debt for building the main inn - not much - and then pay down the line of credit - not much - and we can build the other wing, using only the line of credit so the interest rate is set .
Riki

How did the people you've helped put in office vote on these type issues?
Did any of them get campaign contributions from the financial sector and CC companies? Probably
The simplest solution is to not carry balances or make damn sure you're on top of the bills to never be late, even once. Works for us.
You can blame whoever you want, but it all starts with putting people in office that will craft good regulations and make sure the regulators do their jobs.
Haven't had many of them though thanks to the way the system is structured.
"credit card issuers gave credit cards to people who had no visible means of support and now i am going to pay for this?"
Its comforting to know that these folks you describe aren't the same 1 million or so hard-working Americans WITH inforce health insurance being thrown into bankruptcy next year due to rejected claims and major illnesses striking them, isn't it?

potty-mouth.gif
ing.
"He who does not vote has no right to
potty-mouth.gif
ing."
Actually, unless you're only voting for people opposed to this kind of stuff that quote needs to be modified to read "Even he or she who does vote shouldn't bother to complain if they help put people in office who go along with this type of (*&^ing thing"

I don't know where these financial gurus who tell us to haggle with credit card companies over interest rates are getting their information.
I just had the conversation with HSBC when my interest rate jumped from 0% to 17% for no good reason, except that the term had expired. I was told that this was a "normal" interest rate. They wouldn't budge.
If this is the new normal, then I don't want any part of it. I said, "Well, I guess you don't appreciate my business so you won't be getting any more of it." Guess who's getting paid off this month?
I just heard on the news that their British contingent; HSBC is a global bank, lost one million in the Maddoff scandal. Thus the 17% interest rate.

Back