An Angel Gets His Wings

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cry_smile.gif

So sorry for your loss. These kinds are certainly very difficult to take...
RIki

SweetiePie said:
There's a new doggie angel in heaven today. Buford got his wings.
dog_001_home.jpg

In Loving Memory

July 25, 1999 -
October 7, 2009
I'm sitting here crying, that poem is so touching. This picture of him is so nice, you can tell he was a good dog and he had such fun running the b&b with you!

Grieving is hard enough, but I think it is especially difficult to do it while innkeeping. Constantly putting on the "everything's ok" face while in your own home can be especially difficult. It is one thing I don't think we ever contemplated as aspirings. Not intending to hijack SweetiePie's thread I'll just link to where this has come up before on the forum.

broken_heart.gif
That poem just wrecked me. Oh, these furry friends and how important they become to us. I hope you're at least having a good week otherwise, and getting some private time so you don't have to put on the "innkeeping" face the whole time.

Is that really a pic of Buford? I thought at first it was a stock photo. He is just gorgeous and that poem, well, I'm with everyone else, boo-hoo-ing thinking of our girl we just lost. I hear you on wondering whether you should put yourself through that again. I wonder the same. I think that if it's the right thing to do, in time we will know, but now's definitely not the right time.

There's a new doggie angel in heaven today. Buford got his wings.
dog_001_home.jpg

In Loving Memory

July 25, 1999 -
October 7, 2009

I'm Still Here
I stood by your bed last night,
I came to have a peep
I could see that you were crying,
You found it hard to sleep.
I whined to you softly
As you brushed away a tear,
“It’s me, I haven’t left you,
I’m well, I’m fine, I’m here.”
I was close to you at breakfast,
I watched you pour your tea,
You were thinking of the many times,
Your hands reached down to me.
I was with you at the shops today,
Your arms were getting sore.
I longed to take your parcels,
I wish I could do more.
I was with you at my grave today,
You tend it with such care.
I want to reassure you,
that I’m not lying there.
I walked with you toward the house,
as you fumbled for your key.
I gently put my paw on you,
I smiled and said “It’s me,”
You looked so very tired,
And sank into a chair.
I tried so hard to let you know,
That I was standing there.
It’s possible for me,
To be so near to you every day.
To say to you with certainty,
“I never went away.”
You sat there very quietly,
Then smiled, I think you knew…
In the stillness of that evening,
I was very close to you.
The day is over…
I smile and watch you yawning
And say “goodnight, God bless,
I’ll see you in the morning.”
And when the time is right,
For you to cross the brief divide,
I’ll rush across to greet you
And we’ll stand side by side.
I have so many things to show you,
There is so much for you to see.
Be patient, live your journey out….
Then come home to be with me.
Author Unknown

I don't know that I can go through this again. I just lost his mom 2 years ago and this was very unexpected. I think I may just foster from now on. I love puppies.
regular_smile.gif

Is that really a pic of Buford? I thought at first it was a stock photo. He is just gorgeous and that poem, well, I'm with everyone else, boo-hoo-ing thinking of our girl we just lost. I hear you on wondering whether you should put yourself through that again. I wonder the same. I think that if it's the right thing to do, in time we will know, but now's definitely not the right time..
I'm not good with transferring photos, or it seems with lining up poems. It looks one way in the preview and then turns out totally different.
That is the closest approximation I could come to him. He was just the sweetest most perfect dog a human could have. He taught me unconditional love and I just feel that I couldn't replace him. Nor do I want to right now.
There are so many animals that need homes with the recession and people having to give up their pets to move into apartments and all.
I also want to do some traveling and its hard to do with a dog, especially out of the country. I also feel its not fair to them to put them in a kennel.
So for me, fostering may be the way to go right now, though I'm sure I'll be sad when it's time to give them up as well.

So sorry for your loss. Can't type much more right now...bawling like a baby over the poem.
broken_heart.gif

Just a Note of Caution: I'm passing this along since several of you reported similar incidents with skunks. My main issue at the time was just getting rid of the smell. I had no idea that they could also be transmitting disease. Since he was confined to the backyard and not around other dogs it was never a concern until now. This came on very fast; so by the time you realize the dog is sick, its already too late.
I'm not a very good CSI detective but I've narrowed his symptoms down to two diseases. One is Lyme Disease, not very likely since there is a very low incidence in our area. The second is distemper, a more likely candidate. Both are carried by skunks.

Just a Note of Caution: I'm passing this along since several of you reported similar incidents with skunks. My main issue at the time was just getting rid of the smell. I had no idea that they could also be transmitting disease. Since he was confined to the backyard and not around other dogs it was never a concern until now. This came on very fast; so by the time you realize the dog is sick, its already too late.
I'm not a very good CSI detective but I've narrowed his symptoms down to two diseases. One is Lyme Disease, not very likely since there is a very low incidence in our area. The second is distemper, a more likely candidate. Both are carried by skunks..
Although I'm sure this is not what affected your dog, skunks are known carriers of rabies as well. Be sure your pets are vaccinated!

I'm not a very good CSI detective but I've narrowed his symptoms down to two diseases. One is Lyme Disease, not very likely since there is a very low incidence in our area. The second is distemper, a more likely candidate. Both are carried by skunks..
Although I'm sure this is not what affected your dog, skunks are known carriers of rabies as well. Be sure your pets are vaccinated!
Thanks Muirford. I was going to mention that but since he had his rabies shot and didn't exhibit any of those symptoms I didn't want to confuse the issue. The symptom that was unusual in his case was seizures.

Give your pets an extra hug, you never know when it will be their last.
cry_smile.gif
Bless our "babies"

SweetiePie said:

I'm not a very good CSI detective but I've narrowed his symptoms down to two diseases. One is Lyme Disease, not very likely since there is a very low incidence in our area. The second is distemper, a more likely candidate. Both are carried by skunks.
Skunks do not carry lyme disease, neither do people, they can get the disease, they do not trasmit it to others. Only a "deer tick" can infect you or your pet.

SweetiePie said:

Skunks do not carry lyme disease, neither do people, they can get the disease, they do not trasmit it to others. Only a "deer tick" can infect you or your pet.
Skunks can get, and give, fleas, lice, mites, ticks and Bot Fly larvae. They transmit Lyme Disease through the ticks.
Skunks may carry and transmit:
  • Leptospirosis- a worm infestation that infects the kidneys and genital tracts of agricultural stock, but certain species have been known to infect humans.
  • Q Fever- transmittable through the air, inhaled by humans and cattle. Causes fever cough and chest pains. Most people will recover from it completely.
  • Listeriosis- a gastrointestinal organism that can be found in milk, cheese and meat. It may cause miscarriage.
  • Pulmonary Aspergillosis, Histoplasmosis, Acute Bronchopneumonia & Pleuritis- lung infections.
  • Ringworm- a worm that inhabits a host’s skin and can be seen in a ring shape.
  • Murine Typhus- spread by parasites. Organisms inhabit a cell and divide until the cell bursts. It may be fatal.
  • Chagas’ Disease- symptoms may include constipation, always being tired, inability to swallow, fever, discomfort and/or abdominal pain. This disease is a problem in South and Central America.
  • Tularemia- a plague-like disease
  • Brucellosis- joint inflammation in domestic animals, especially cattle
  • Canine Distemper- profuse vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy in domestic animals (Verts)

SweetiePie said:

Skunks can get, and give, fleas, lice, mites, ticks and Bot Fly larvae. They transmit Lyme Disease through the ticks.
Skunks may carry and transmit:
  • Leptospirosis- a worm infestation that infects the kidneys and genital tracts of agricultural stock, but certain species have been known to infect humans.
  • Q Fever- transmittable through the air, inhaled by humans and cattle. Causes fever cough and chest pains. Most people will recover from it completely.
  • Listeriosis- a gastrointestinal organism that can be found in milk, cheese and meat. It may cause miscarriage.
  • Pulmonary Aspergillosis, Histoplasmosis, Acute Bronchopneumonia & Pleuritis- lung infections.
  • Ringworm- a worm that inhabits a host’s skin and can be seen in a ring shape.
  • Murine Typhus- spread by parasites. Organisms inhabit a cell and divide until the cell bursts. It may be fatal.
  • Chagas’ Disease- symptoms may include constipation, always being tired, inability to swallow, fever, discomfort and/or abdominal pain. This disease is a problem in South and Central America.
  • Tularemia- a plague-like disease
  • Brucellosis- joint inflammation in domestic animals, especially cattle
  • Canine Distemper- profuse vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy in domestic animals (Verts)
That is what I said, Ticks trasmit the disease to its host, skunks cannot give Lyme Disease to a dog or human. In fact BIRDS are carrying the 'deer ticks' around the country which is why Lyme's is so far spread now.

Back