An homage to good quality paint...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Draper

Reaction score
Almost 4 years in and we have painted just about every room in this house. The PO's left literally dozens of half empty paint cans in the basement and using them we've been able to color match where we wanted to and pick different colors where we preferred. PO's used exclusively Smallmart brand paint, the cheapest you can get. We went with Sherwin Williams' middle grade paint (right now it's about $10/gallon more than the Smallmart stuff). As I am deep cleaning and washing walls where WE painted, I can't tell you the difference in washability and wear. The stuff they used, the minute you put a damp rag to it it just streaks. The Sherwin Williams stuff is like a different world...a gentle wipe with a damp cloth and it looks like new. I'm so glad we learned this lesson in our first house.

Good quality paint can make or break the painting job, too.

The higher end paint is always worth in my book. And I've always been a fan of Sherwin Williams paint. Goes on like a dream and cleans up brilliantly.

The higher end paint is always worth in my book. And I've always been a fan of Sherwin Williams paint. Goes on like a dream and cleans up brilliantly..
I agree. I had it professionally done, catheral ceilings and all and they used Sherwin Williams paint. It still looks brand new.

Yes, defnitely about making the painting job...it's so thick it even makes me a neat painter (I always did have trouble staying in the lines...).
Bizarre story...we have a guest room in the attic that has a dormer window not original to the house. The majority of the ceiling slopes in that room, with the exception of the straight piece that comes in from the dormer window...had a guest go to "swat a fly" (her words) against that flat part of the ceiling and she punched a giant hole in it! It is really thin drywall so I guess it didn't take much pressure (by the way, of course she didn't TELL me this, she wrote it in the room journal, upon reading it I looked up to see the gaping hole...nice).
There was a GIANT bee's nest up in the ceiling. They must have worked their way in at the top of the window. Thank goodness it was long dead but it was massive. How weird that she would poke a hole right in that spot.
SO hubs patched the hole and it was seeing the white of the spackle against the white of the rest of the ceiling/wall that made us realize that room needed to be painted...it was the last one and we dreaded doing it because the work space is small but there you go. So final replacement of crap paint with Sherwin Williams is happening now. Hubs keeps a spread sheet and with that color it makes #40 for the whole house...wow I should buy stock in SW!!!

Yes, defnitely about making the painting job...it's so thick it even makes me a neat painter (I always did have trouble staying in the lines...).
Bizarre story...we have a guest room in the attic that has a dormer window not original to the house. The majority of the ceiling slopes in that room, with the exception of the straight piece that comes in from the dormer window...had a guest go to "swat a fly" (her words) against that flat part of the ceiling and she punched a giant hole in it! It is really thin drywall so I guess it didn't take much pressure (by the way, of course she didn't TELL me this, she wrote it in the room journal, upon reading it I looked up to see the gaping hole...nice).
There was a GIANT bee's nest up in the ceiling. They must have worked their way in at the top of the window. Thank goodness it was long dead but it was massive. How weird that she would poke a hole right in that spot.
SO hubs patched the hole and it was seeing the white of the spackle against the white of the rest of the ceiling/wall that made us realize that room needed to be painted...it was the last one and we dreaded doing it because the work space is small but there you go. So final replacement of crap paint with Sherwin Williams is happening now. Hubs keeps a spread sheet and with that color it makes #40 for the whole house...wow I should buy stock in SW!!!.
40 different colors? That must be amazing! I need to get out and get paint swatches as I see Gomez has pulled the furniture out and is ready to start stripping wallpaper. Amazing what goes on while I sleep! I should be sick more often, he gets bored with no one to talk to!

We always used Sherwin Williams paint. We used the porch paint and put sand in it for the kitchen (the linoleum was such a mix of color hat no matter what you dropped, it blended in) in 1996. It is badly in need of a new paint job as of 2009. In 2005 we used Lowe's porch paint (with sand) on the front porch. This is a covered porch that for the most part is protected from the elements. By 2008 it was in NEED!! DH painted it this Fall and will never again use anything other than Sherwin Williams.

My mother taught me about quality paint many, many years ago. And I still believe that. These days, however, my paint is a little different, but the "quality" lesson remain. I still use excellent paint - it just costs a lot more for my application - a little over $200/gallon. But hey....it's been on there for 30 years now and can still be shined!

My mother taught me about quality paint many, many years ago. And I still believe that. These days, however, my paint is a little different, but the "quality" lesson remain. I still use excellent paint - it just costs a lot more for my application - a little over $200/gallon. But hey....it's been on there for 30 years now and can still be shined!.
A most valuable lesson, marine enamel is very good on house exteriors in the rainy Northwest!
-KathleenM

My mother taught me about quality paint many, many years ago. And I still believe that. These days, however, my paint is a little different, but the "quality" lesson remain. I still use excellent paint - it just costs a lot more for my application - a little over $200/gallon. But hey....it's been on there for 30 years now and can still be shined!.
A most valuable lesson, marine enamel is very good on house exteriors in the rainy Northwest!
-KathleenM
Skamokawa said:
-KathleenM
Holy cow...people paint houses with that stuff???? I wonder what that costs! Just to paint my boat with Imron, it's around $65,000. That's why I'm very happy I'm still getting shine out of 30-year-old paint. Awlgrip is a tad cheaper, but not as long-lasting.
I never thought about using boat paint on a house...very interesting, indeed!

<grin> There's a fair amount of Interlux and similar both outside and in on this place. I have to come clean though, the house is clad in cedar shingles - its only the white trim that got the boat paint treatment. (edited to add - Oh, and our brands are more basic, about $60-$80 per gallon if you really watch the sales ) The surfaces I painted 8 years ago are holding up just fine, and really not exagerating much, we're just shy of being rainforest where we are, its a bit like painting a hull - we treat summertime like a haulout!

SW paint doesn't always have to cost that much more. Contractor supply stores have a walk-in retail rate and a contractor discount for everything in the store or ordered. If you are doing a big job set up an account and negotiate a better price. If you can get a local contractor to tell you what they are buying the paint then you have a target to shoot for. When we repainted I even bought a new ladder from SW for less than HD or Lowes.

SW paint doesn't always have to cost that much more. Contractor supply stores have a walk-in retail rate and a contractor discount for everything in the store or ordered. If you are doing a big job set up an account and negotiate a better price. If you can get a local contractor to tell you what they are buying the paint then you have a target to shoot for. When we repainted I even bought a new ladder from SW for less than HD or Lowes..
Yes, SW is very easy to work with on this, we did set up an account and do get a discount. That's just icing on the cake though, the paint is worth every penny extra!

Back