An hour later....

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birdwatcher

Reaction score
Ok so I've been sick and DH has been taking care of the job that I could not today. He got a "walk-in" as in called and said he wanted a room showed up half hour later paid cash and his "other half" or so he said changing his story from "my girlfriend is in the car so lets be quick" kind of thing on the phone, then they show up in two cars, he pays cash and they go up to the room.
Two hours later they come down hand the keys to my husband, my husband tells them that we lock the doors of the Inn at 9PM (its safe here trust me and we lock the door if we are somewere other than the front of the Inn) he told my DH that they wont be long and will be right back. Its now almost 11PM and no guest so we think it was just a "quickie". This is not somehing that we want everyone "out there" to know that they can come here and do the thing and then leave. There is a hotel not far from here that have "day hours"...so how do we try to make sure that this "person" (who my DH said is the type to blab to his buddies) that this sort of thing can happen here? How do we avoid someone calling and making a resv. and paying for it then leaving a couple hours later? Its just wrong, its your life dont get me wrong but it does not belong in a B & B...just saying.
Thanks!

There really isn't a lot you can do. They paid, they stayed, they went away. I'm going to guess there won't be a lot of this and if there is it may have been going on long before you arrived.
You could require payment via cc only. That will slow down the ones who don't want a record. They'll leave on their own.

My guess... you didn't ask for particulars and didn't ask for a CC for security.... so they used it anonymously.
On the one side, at least it's money. Our January has been dismal!

They were happy customers, no? Here, I would have a hint as in the evening I ask when they will be wanting breakfast. Would have seen a look, possibly, that they were not coming back.

Sorry, been kind of busy-No they did not return. From now on we will take a cc upon reservation PERIOD if they wanna pay cash when they get there i guess we can give the a refund, but you really dont know until they show.

Unless it happens "often" I would not worry about it. Their money is as green as anyone else's, and what is the difference between a non married couple coming and spending the night so they can "do it" and a non married couple that just used the room for a few hours? I have had both married and non married couples arrive in 2 cars - is your neighbor counting cars vs guests?
They did not ask for a day rate or an hourly rate, they did not destroy the room.
What difference would having a credit card have done ? So you would have had a "real" name? Would it have told you if they would be back that night or there for breakfast? If they had booked in advance but done the same thing would it have been any different?
Sorry I know this sounds like a rant but I don't see the problem - you are not advertising yourself as a flop house so I would just put the money in the bank and forget about it.
Be thankful for a husband that can continue "generating cash flow" while you are down!! :) Oh and I hope you feel better soon!!

Unless it happens "often" I would not worry about it. Their money is as green as anyone else's, and what is the difference between a non married couple coming and spending the night so they can "do it" and a non married couple that just used the room for a few hours? I have had both married and non married couples arrive in 2 cars - is your neighbor counting cars vs guests?
They did not ask for a day rate or an hourly rate, they did not destroy the room.
What difference would having a credit card have done ? So you would have had a "real" name? Would it have told you if they would be back that night or there for breakfast? If they had booked in advance but done the same thing would it have been any different?
Sorry I know this sounds like a rant but I don't see the problem - you are not advertising yourself as a flop house so I would just put the money in the bank and forget about it.
Be thankful for a husband that can continue "generating cash flow" while you are down!! :) Oh and I hope you feel better soon!!.
The most problematic of these often don't want to use a CC... the cheating spouse. They don't want a record... asking for a CC creates a record, which scares away a majority of the "siesta" requests.

Locals tend to go to the travelodge for this kind of thing which has always struck me as odd as they only take cards. What we get now and again is a couple who don't seem to know each other very well arrive in 2 different cars. I get the feeling its an internet dating hook up. but I figure I am not the morality police, and sometimes it has a happy ending for example we took in a lady and her daughter who were moving to harroagte to be with the internet dating boyfriend and she was running from an abusve husband and they wouldn't let the boyfriend visit her in the hostel. They are now married and living happily ever after (she works in a local shop so I see her now and again) So weirder things!

Sorry, been kind of busy-No they did not return. From now on we will take a cc upon reservation PERIOD if they wanna pay cash when they get there i guess we can give the a refund, but you really dont know until they show..
why would you give them a refund? I don't understand. They used the room...if only for a couple of hours. No refund necessary. Don't worry about it...unless they show up at your door again. But hey...if they pay, stay...no matter how long..their money is good. But I would probably say, sorry...no availability.

birdwatcher said:
Ok so I've been sick and DH has been taking care of the job that I could not today. He got a "walk-in" as in called and said he wanted a room showed up half hour later paid cash and his "other half" or so he said changing his story from "my girlfriend is in the car so lets be quick" kind of thing on the phone, then they show up in two cars, he pays cash and they go up to the room.
Two hours later they come down hand the keys to my husband, my husband tells them that we lock the doors of the Inn at 9PM (its safe here trust me and we lock the door if we are somewere other than the front of the Inn) he told my DH that they wont be long and will be right back. Its now almost 11PM and no guest so we think it was just a "quickie". This is not somehing that we want everyone "out there" to know that they can come here and do the thing and then leave. There is a hotel not far from here that have "day hours"...so how do we try to make sure that this "person" (who my DH said is the type to blab to his buddies) that this sort of thing can happen here? How do we avoid someone calling and making a resv. and paying for it then leaving a couple hours later? Its just wrong, its your life dont get me wrong but it does not belong in a B & B...just saying.
Thanks!
When guests arrive we have no idea of how long they are staying other than their reservation. Walk-ins are 1 night. they pay. If they leave early, they left. The only important thing is that they paid.
Soon after I opened, I had 2 rooms book. They checked in and paid cash. Changed clothes (they were supposedly government workers on business), used the facilities, and took a walk. When they came back, I was told she had gotten a call with a family emergency and they had to leave. To this day I am kicking myself for returning their money. I did not have this Forum to help me back then and was still in the grab-my-ankles mode. Today, it would be I am so sorry about the emergency. Drive carefully.

Locals tend to go to the travelodge for this kind of thing which has always struck me as odd as they only take cards. What we get now and again is a couple who don't seem to know each other very well arrive in 2 different cars. I get the feeling its an internet dating hook up. but I figure I am not the morality police, and sometimes it has a happy ending for example we took in a lady and her daughter who were moving to harroagte to be with the internet dating boyfriend and she was running from an abusve husband and they wouldn't let the boyfriend visit her in the hostel. They are now married and living happily ever after (she works in a local shop so I see her now and again) So weirder things!.
Oh... there are so many ways that people do this including craigslist, sexting and well now there are apps for that!

Back