An Infinite Regression of Excuses

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
An Infinite Regression of Excuses[/h2]by FRED on JANUARY 1, 2010
windowFrost480.jpg
Through a glass, darkly. Frost on barn shed window.
A writer writes about writing about why he cannot write. That’s where I feel I am today, here at the end of another year with, well, mixed successes at staying focused.
While there are some things to show for my brief spurts of directed and purposeful activity—a book, the new visual essay package, the calendars, a dozen mildly successful public engagements and much more community involvement—I deserve the big Dope Slap for all the time I’ve wasted in 2009. And with each passing year, it seems my propensity for distraction gets worse rather than better with age.
But I have excuses, mind you. There are more baubles, spangles and tinsel dangling before me than ever: twitter and facebook, tv online and Netflix Instant Play, Pandora and all things Droid.
On top of that I also have reasons—a quasi-intentional elder-indulgence of elder curmudgeonry. I reject deferred gratification so firmly in control of choices made since early adulthood. I did it for the kids. I did it for the job; for the friends, the church, the organization, the community. If there was anything left, I gave me some Fred-time.
In my opinion, I’ve held this approach-avoidance in better balance than some who invariably put self-sacrifice first and never ate dessert first. I’ve allowed myself to pull away—to work out, to backpack, to sit for a quiet hour on the creekbank, to fritter away an hour over a single image in Photoshop, revise an essay for more hours than they were worth. I have, for the most part as I see it, been free to an appropriate degree from excessive obligation to duty imposed by others when it conflicted with my own inner compass.
I am sure I could be forgiven for my self-focused and intentionally isolated behavior that at times was in error, hurtful, a mistake—a sin, if you will. The dangers of exaggeration of the importance of SELF are legion and go back far in human history, mythology and philosophy.
I don’t want to be or seem insensitive or callous or remote just to maintain my focus. And it is less from people I find myself needing distance now in order to achieve a more productive creative side. It is from the very tools that expedite that creativity–the cell phone, the laptop, the radio. (We long ago let go the TV, but now it has somewhat crept back in through the computer monitor.) And yet, I find these passive pleasures more and more alluring as my drive to move against the current wanes.
I struggle with the notion that I am foolish to set long-term goals that require sustained purpose and work at this point in my life—a few short months short of Social Security. But after a while, desserts don’t satisfy. A main course of high-nutrient, full flavored food for the soul, heart and mind is what I need and will seek again in 2010—if I can regain the reins and chart such a course.
Blog article excerpt from http://www.fragmentsfromfloyd.com/
I highly recommend Fred's book "A Slow Road Home: A Blue Ridge Book of Days" which can be purchased here

Great blog article. I probably would like his book....if I ever get through the stack of books that I've been trying to read for the last 2 years!
Baby steps.....baby steps.....

Oops forgot the last bit:
I’ll end this blathering morning-pages ramble with an excerpt from the last passage of What We Hold In Our Hands. I guess I need to tell myself this story one more time, a partial antidote perhaps to my procrastination and willing distractedness:
…The vision came to me of years future, their numbers filing past me in a receding time line against a cosmic backdrop of star-flecked black universe. One of those numbers–-only God knows which-–will be the year I die.
“But Wait. Let’s think about the future this way” the morning muse gently offered. “If you live as long as your mother is today, you’ll still be around in 2030. If you match your grandmother’s age when she died, 2043. There could well be an awful lot of new days ahead for you, sonny boy.”
Given those actuarial possibilities of life yet to come, I guess I’d better get back to thinking about what it is I want to do when I grow up. Maybe another book? And certainly, more grandchildren!
Each morning even yet is full of new possibilities. Granted, not all of the choices are available from the menu of ten years ago, but there are surely enough to make the selection an interesting proposition over the morning’s coffee.
And you’d think maybe sixty years of experience, skill, perspective and a smattering of wisdom might just be useful for something between now and 2043. To everything there is a season. We’ll just have to discover what crops we want to grow in this new season in our lives.

I’ll end this blathering morning-pages ramble with an excerpt from the last passage of What We Hold In Our Hands. I guess I need to tell myself this story one more time, a partial antidote perhaps to my procrastination and willing distractedness:
…The vision came to me of years future, their numbers filing past me in a receding time line against a cosmic backdrop of star-flecked black universe. One of those numbers–-only God knows which-–will be the year I die.
“But Wait. Let’s think about the future this way” the morning muse gently offered. “If you live as long as your mother is today, you’ll still be around in 2030. If you match your grandmother’s age when she died, 2043. There could well be an awful lot of new days ahead for you, sonny boy.”
Given those actuarial possibilities of life yet to come, I guess I’d better get back to thinking about what it is I want to do when I grow up. Maybe another book? And certainly, more grandchildren!
Each morning even yet is full of new possibilities. Granted, not all of the choices are available from the menu of ten years ago, but there are surely enough to make the selection an interesting proposition over the morning’s coffee.
And you’d think maybe sixty years of experience, skill, perspective and a smattering of wisdom might just be useful for something between now and 2043. To everything there is a season. We’ll just have to discover what crops we want to grow in this new season in our lives.
If consider the longevity of most of my relatives, I'm a little more than halfway through my life. That's why I'm having a mid-life crisis!!!

Looking at my parents/grandparents I have 15 years or less left. Whatever it is, I will have had a great ride. And if it is as good as the last 15 - it will be a fantastic ride!

If consider the longevity of most of my relatives, I'm a little more than halfway through my life. That's why I'm having a mid-life crisis!!!
I thought that last section from his books was good, a reminder - what will we do with the rest of our lives? We are always hard on ourselves about "today" but if we don't have a bit of a plan we just spend out days like in a pin ball machine - bouncing off this that and tilt. :)

I thought that last section from his books was good, a reminder - what will we do with the rest of our lives? We are always hard on ourselves about "today" but if we don't have a bit of a plan we just spend out days like in a pin ball machine - bouncing off this that and tilt. :)
Yes, I call that just "marking the days off a calendar". And then you wonder, where did the time go? A plan is good....
If I can just figure out what I want to do when I grow up! haha!

Yes, I call that just "marking the days off a calendar". And then you wonder, where did the time go? A plan is good....
If I can just figure out what I want to do when I grow up! haha!
I used to work with a dude who I nicknamed "The reactor" he spent each and every day reacting. He never addressed anything other than surface issues that came at him. Like playing handball! I liked this article, I will read it again later on a ruminate on it some more.

But you can't let the pendulum swing too far in either direction...if you're always worried what "The Plan" is and looking ahead, you will miss the only thing you can really effect, which is the present moment.
Now I'm going back to my online Sudoku puzzle that is helping me procrastinate sitting down to write new website text.
tounge_smile.gif

But you can't let the pendulum swing too far in either direction...if you're always worried what "The Plan" is and looking ahead, you will miss the only thing you can really effect, which is the present moment.
Now I'm going back to my online Sudoku puzzle that is helping me procrastinate sitting down to write new website text.
tounge_smile.gif
I am procrastinating with Mah Jong.

tounge_smile.gif
I'm procratinating with movies that I've missed. ;-)

tounge_smile.gif
I just had a 5 night booking come in in the middle of procrastinating here!

tounge_smile.gif
I just had a 5 night booking come in in the middle of procrastinating here!
Congrats! I sit here wishing!

Looking at my parents/grandparents I have 15 years or less left. Whatever it is, I will have had a great ride. And if it is as good as the last 15 - it will be a fantastic ride!.
Lord have mercy, if I thought I still had 15 years left, I'd be celebrating!

Looking at my parents/grandparents I have 15 years or less left. Whatever it is, I will have had a great ride. And if it is as good as the last 15 - it will be a fantastic ride!.
Lord have mercy, if I thought I still had 15 years left, I'd be celebrating!
It will be great as long as I do not follow my Mother - 3rd generation with the Big A. So far so good...........

Back