An new TA company promoting Vacation Rentals MUST Read this!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alas, we have found one of the pitfalls of mass corporatization.
No potential market big or small is off limits, no internal advantage isn't capitalized on, no partnership or linkage if profitable for the host is not considered, etc. etc. etc.
Here we all are begging for the crumbs off the edge of the table with our "advocates" going to TA with hat in hand "negotiating" for some minimal way for potential guests to go see our own websites without multiple steps and search engine manuevers.
And as more of this consolidation occurs, the lines between types of lodging get blurrier and blurrier.
Any of us who accept reservations via these third party systems already know there has been a dramatic drop off in the quality of guests who think the shoddy behavior they practice in Motel 6s should be acceptable in B&Bs because we are all essentially the same in the eyes of these corporations and the typical consumer.
Restaurants, hotels, motels, vacation rentals, attractions, etc. on TA are all allowed direct linkage from TA, yet us lowly innkeepers are only allowed to have our listings and are insulated from the consumer attempting to deal with us directly. That is, except for those of us who "buy in" to the system and as we can see at a much higher price..
I'm just curious, not having dealt with any of this myself...for any innkeeper participating in these third-party reservations, do the number of reservations you get make up for some of the problems that come along with it?
I'm thinking mostly about someone who books your Inn but thinks they are getting a Super 8 hotel or something...is this the majority of the folks you get or are these an exception? What percentage of your overall business comes from third-party bookings?
InnsiderInfo said:
I'm just curious, not having dealt with any of this myself...for any innkeeper participating in these third-party reservations, do the number of reservations you get make up for some of the problems that come along with it?
I'm thinking mostly about someone who books your Inn but thinks they are getting a Super 8 hotel or something...is this the majority of the folks you get or are these an exception? What percentage of your overall business comes from third-party bookings?
No, the ones I get from 3rd party bookings know they are booking at a B&B and what a B&B is. Meaning they know the difference and are very content with the B&B concept and are happy with their stay. I have had only ONE guest who was booked through a corporation's travel agent that arrived and said he thought it was a hotel... now my inn's name has 'Bed and Breakfast' as part of it so I just think he wanted to be more incognito - possibly brining in a 'friend' for the night. He did NOT stay but he paid end of story. I have taken 3rd party bookings (though online and travel agents) since 2000.
As I have stated before, this is NOT for everyone!!! Most that have nayed the idea are conserned with not getting all the guest information or knowing what time they will be checking in. I have never had a problem getting this info if I want it. I have never had a no show either. Most of these guests are B&B travelers. If the subject comes up about the way they booked, most are just doing more comparisons before booking. I am the only B&B in the area (closest B&B to me is 25 minutes away) so some compare me to the hotels in the area before booking. Many booked through the system the first time but on repeat visits, have called or booked directly.
Have you mentioned before HOW you are set up with 3rd party bookings? Thru what agency?
Bree said:
Have you mentioned before HOW you are set up with 3rd party bookings? Thru what agency?
I use Reconline which is out of Switzerland and have been with them for about 4 years now. I show up on hotels, orbitz, travelocity and some others (not expedia) as well as being placed in many of the TA GDS systems like sabre. This is not a pre-pay service. Guest pays me directly then I am sent a commission statement from my service. I have elected (at this time) to accept TA reservations too so any commissions due to the TA, will be added to the monthly statement as well and they disburse payment.
Payment must be made via credit card and now I am a little hesitant in dealing with a foreign company due to the international charges which I may incur with the new international fees on Credit cards. I decided I would see how much this is going to cost me. If I get hit for much more than what I am currently paying them, I will rethink this.

Thanks to Copperhead and Tim for the responses...two very different sides of the same coin! I don't think it would work here but it sounds like with the right situation it could do you some good..
InnsiderInfo said:
Thanks to Copperhead and Tim for the responses...two very different sides of the same coin! I don't think it would work here but it sounds like with the right situation it could do you some good.
Here's a general question for all...does anyone out there think the LOCATION of the B&B might have an influence on whether or not the guests who show up either off a 3rd party booking or just out of the blue on their own behave or don't behave as we would hope they would?
I mean are there certain locations that draw certain kinds of people? (An extreme example would be Daytona Beach- party central.)
Bree wrote: I mean are there certain locations that draw certain kinds of people? (An extreme example would be Daytona Beach- party central.)
Well, I was going to say yes, but then Tim blew that theroy. I am located in a quiet area (off the beaten path) but close to one of the most notable party cities in the US. Being in our location attracts the more quiet types even if they go into the city for the big festivals. They come back quietly - well lets put in 95% of the time anyway. Most of my more roudy guests are those here for a wedding or family event that book the entire place. Even then, we usually do not hear them late at night.

No potential market big or small is off limits, no internal advantage isn't capitalized on, no partnership or linkage if profitable for the host is not considered, etc. etc. etc.
Here we all are begging for the crumbs off the edge of the table with our "advocates" going to TA with hat in hand "negotiating" for some minimal way for potential guests to go see our own websites without multiple steps and search engine manuevers.
And as more of this consolidation occurs, the lines between types of lodging get blurrier and blurrier.
Any of us who accept reservations via these third party systems already know there has been a dramatic drop off in the quality of guests who think the shoddy behavior they practice in Motel 6s should be acceptable in B&Bs because we are all essentially the same in the eyes of these corporations and the typical consumer.
Restaurants, hotels, motels, vacation rentals, attractions, etc. on TA are all allowed direct linkage from TA, yet us lowly innkeepers are only allowed to have our listings and are insulated from the consumer attempting to deal with us directly. That is, except for those of us who "buy in" to the system and as we can see at a much higher price..
InnsiderInfo said:
No, the ones I get from 3rd party bookings know they are booking at a B&B and what a B&B is. Meaning they know the difference and are very content with the B&B concept and are happy with their stay. I have had only ONE guest who was booked through a corporation's travel agent that arrived and said he thought it was a hotel... now my inn's name has 'Bed and Breakfast' as part of it so I just think he wanted to be more incognito - possibly brining in a 'friend' for the night. He did NOT stay but he paid end of story. I have taken 3rd party bookings (though online and travel agents) since 2000.
As I have stated before, this is NOT for everyone!!! Most that have nayed the idea are conserned with not getting all the guest information or knowing what time they will be checking in. I have never had a problem getting this info if I want it. I have never had a no show either. Most of these guests are B&B travelers. If the subject comes up about the way they booked, most are just doing more comparisons before booking. I am the only B&B in the area (closest B&B to me is 25 minutes away) so some compare me to the hotels in the area before booking. Many booked through the system the first time but on repeat visits, have called or booked directly.
Bree said:
I use Reconline which is out of Switzerland and have been with them for about 4 years now. I show up on hotels, orbitz, travelocity and some others (not expedia) as well as being placed in many of the TA GDS systems like sabre. This is not a pre-pay service. Guest pays me directly then I am sent a commission statement from my service. I have elected (at this time) to accept TA reservations too so any commissions due to the TA, will be added to the monthly statement as well and they disburse payment.
Payment must be made via credit card and now I am a little hesitant in dealing with a foreign company due to the international charges which I may incur with the new international fees on Credit cards. I decided I would see how much this is going to cost me. If I get hit for much more than what I am currently paying them, I will rethink this.
3% is what my cc charged me for an international payment.

InnsiderInfo said:
Bree said:
3% is what my cc charged me for an international payment.
I am watching for this and will then plan accordingly. If you want any other info about this system, please contact me off line and I will be happy to answer any questions or conserns.

Let me be clear on the reservation stuff, I'm only talking about the third party systems.
We use Availability Online basic internally and love it because at our size of only four rooms, we want to manually enter all reservations so we don't ever miss one and its price and reliability is unbeatable in my opinion.
"Here's a general question for all...does anyone out there think the LOCATION of the B&B might have an influence on whether or not the guests who show up either off a 3rd party booking or just out of the blue on their own behave or don't behave as we would hope they would?
I mean are there certain locations that draw certain kinds of people? (An extreme example would be Daytona Beach- party central.)"
No, we're out in the country, our region and even the city we're near isn't known for being anything but very laid back and definitely not a "party" town. I think its all about the people themselves. They'd act the way they do regardless of where the were.
I actually once saw a website and blacklisting system based in Europe to protect hoteliers and innkeepers from booking folks that destroy their properties or make too much revelry while on "holiday". I guess this thing has a big database and if somebody bangs up a room or steals, or gets too rowdy, their name and info gets input and distributed to all the member properties. I'm not sure if members have the option to take a chance on someone on the list if they desire, but according to what I read, the cost of damages alone was in the $8 million per year range, so something had to be done..
I didn't get the sense your area was a party area when I was there 2 years ago. I was wondering if anyone feels they get more of a party crowd or any other kind of crowd based on where they are located?
We get a little bit of everything here, but rarely get heavy drinkers or partyers other than wedding goers. We seem to just get 'Joe and Jolene Average' here.
For those who have been on the forum for awhile and wince when I take home the not-so-coveted PITA award for at least one week during the summer, it's just not like that all the time. Not so that I would have to have a policy that says 'you can't do this or that'.
Does anyone feel they are in a location where certain policies are absolutely required to keep the wolves at bay?
The blacklisting system is interesting. I know some locations where the innkeepers do that on their own. They have a group email system and if your name goes on it, none of them will take you.
Bree said:
I didn't get the sense your area was a party area when I was there 2 years ago. I was wondering if anyone feels they get more of a party crowd or any other kind of crowd based on where they are located?
My take is this - any time you have a place where you can step outside the guest room door to the outside you up the ante for partiers, smokers, bikers, etc. It is what it is. The same with cabins. Those same folks prefer cabins to being inside a two or three story BnB. There is less "supervision" or shall I say, "more privacy" for the guest. I firmly believe this to be true.

Back