An old chestnut...the gift certificate from out of the very distant past

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
How would you handle a caller who found a GC for 'one night' that he claims was given to him possibly 20 years ago? He doesn't remember receiving it, but it has the OO's names on it. (Which puts it back anywhere from 10-23 years ago.)

OMG! I can't wait to read the responses to this one! I'd tell him he could use it any weekday in your slower season - and if he actually comes, I'm sure he'll have a fun story to tell about how he finally found this GC - digging out from under the pile! I give him credit for having the balls to actually call!

OMG! I can't wait to read the responses to this one! I'd tell him he could use it any weekday in your slower season - and if he actually comes, I'm sure he'll have a fun story to tell about how he finally found this GC - digging out from under the pile! I give him credit for having the balls to actually call!.
So, essentially give this guy I've never heard of a free room? $160 out of my pocket for what could very well be a scam? Or should I look at it as 'goodwill' and that he'll become a regular after waiting 20 years?

WOW-that is something, ususally a GC has an expiration date? But if you do give the good will of having him, it would be a great story and what a great thing if he would leave you a good comment?
Weird though huh? and hey you can ask him "how much where the rooms back then?"

I would politely but firmly tell him that it's no longer valid. I'd tell him it became invalid with the FIRST sale of the inn. He really knows that he's not going to get anywhere with this.

Or maybe as a compromise say it is invalid but you will give him a discount? or free upgrade? or he has to book 3 nights and gets one free? something like that? it is just a thought.

What if you use it as just cash value from the rates of the room from back when. I can't imagine the OO's rates were too high...Maybe $75 or so.
What's your state's regs on GCs? 5 years from date of purchase? Forever???

Tell him to take a hike! No ...but that was my first thought. Politely tell him...SORRY, we do not honor GC from that far back. Why in heavens name would any of you honor such a thing? There is no way she is responsible to give a guy a room for a 20 year old GC. ANd not out of the goodness of her heart either. Come on now folks, this is just a bit out there.

I have personally gone through every iteration of this and I tell you DON'T accept it, period. It is well past expired and this person knows it. I've done the "give a discount" thing and the person was a nightmare from beginning to end.

Totally agree with CatLady. That's insane. I usually measure my response to outrageous requests like this "Would I ever do such a thing? Okay, maybe that's biased. Would my Mother? Would anyone that I associate with do/say something like that?" Usually the answer is no, and that's my response to this crazy loon!

OO got and kept the GC money, not you. Tell your caller to go spend the night at THEIR house!
I'd never consider selling a gift certificate without an expiration date.

Essentially, there is no way to validate the guy actually DID receive this 20 years ago and isn't like the last one of these we got where the person basically donwloaded the GC off the PO's website and claimed she found it in a drawer. It was totally a scam.

I think you could politely tell him that he would have to contact the first inn owners who issued it. You can only honor the gift certificates issued from you, and the previous owner who gave you the file on valid gift certificates when you purchased the inn. He is unfortunately not on that list so you have no record of the gift certificate having been paid for.
RIki

Essentially, there is no way to validate the guy actually DID receive this 20 years ago and isn't like the last one of these we got where the person basically donwloaded the GC off the PO's website and claimed she found it in a drawer. It was totally a scam..
So did you tell him you would get back to him...or what? Scam or just a jerk? Either way, no way Jose!

OO got and kept the GC money, not you. Tell your caller to go spend the night at THEIR house!
I'd never consider selling a gift certificate without an expiration date..
Arkansawyer said:
That's what I said...spend the night at their house!
BTW, where I live GC's do not expire, cannot put an expiry date on something that is purchased. Donations are something else.

Another reason to state what the value is on a GC instead of 'good for one night's stay'.

Arkansawyer said:
BTW, where I live GC's do not expire, cannot put an expiry date on something that is purchased. Donations are something else.
Morticia said:
Arkansawyer said:
Is that a state law? What about all those dang plastic giftcards you can buy at Walmart and Home Depot etc. They all have an expiration date (don't they?). In fact, gift cards are big business because people often do not redeem them.

Arkansawyer said:
Morticia said:
Arkansawyer said:
Is that a state law? What about all those dang plastic giftcards you can buy at Walmart and Home Depot etc. They all have an expiration date (don't they?). In fact, gift cards are big business because people often do not redeem them.
Proud Texan said:
Morticia said:
Arkansawyer said:
Yes, it's a state law. I have no idea how that is regulated for the big boxes.

Oh is it for a ROOM or an amount? A room? Well are they all diff names now? Tell him there is no room by that name. :)
Let me remind you of the rogue Food and Bev Director at an upscale restaurant in SD who was about to be let go and a lawsuit pending from his misconduct...he quickly printed out GC's and gave them out everywhere he went, by the dozens. People poured in with these GC's. We told them NO.

Back