An "Upgrade" Not Appreciated

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the happy ending.
DSCN0378.JPG

In my days as hotel manager (at a beachfront resort), upgrading people to the first floor from an upper floor (even unexpectedly and not by request) was always a happy day for the guest. Most people requested first floor rooms, and had to settle for the upper floor balcony room when the first was booked. A good number requested to be waitlisted for the first floor anyway. We would have been very suprised if someone were unhappy with an unexpected 'upgrade'.
Perhaps this resort you stayed at experiences the same thing. I know, doesn't make you feel any better!!.
DSCN0372_0.JPG

No doubt it's beautiful, but you can see how people on the other side of the pool and to the left the pool bar can look straight at your area and ultimately, straight into your room.
DSCN0373.JPG

DSCN0374.JPG

You can see here that there is also no privacy wall between our space and the next room's space
What I really wanted was a room up higher to enjoy the ocean view...not the pool view.
Book me NOW!!!
Sorry you didn't get what you wanted. And I DO understand everything you're saying.
I'm just looking out the window at my snow and thinking......Oh YES!!!!

In my days as hotel manager (at a beachfront resort), upgrading people to the first floor from an upper floor (even unexpectedly and not by request) was always a happy day for the guest. Most people requested first floor rooms, and had to settle for the upper floor balcony room when the first was booked. A good number requested to be waitlisted for the first floor anyway. We would have been very suprised if someone were unhappy with an unexpected 'upgrade'.
Perhaps this resort you stayed at experiences the same thing. I know, doesn't make you feel any better!!.
DSCN0372_0.JPG

No doubt it's beautiful, but you can see how people on the other side of the pool and to the left the pool bar can look straight at your area and ultimately, straight into your room.
DSCN0373.JPG

DSCN0374.JPG

You can see here that there is also no privacy wall between our space and the next room's space
What I really wanted was a room up higher to enjoy the ocean view...not the pool view.
Book me NOW!!!
Sorry you didn't get what you wanted. And I DO understand everything you're saying.
I'm just looking out the window at my snow and thinking......Oh YES!!!!
I can relate...we got home and the forecast is rain, rain, rain, rain, rain.....they're anticipating flooding in the next few days. Oh goodie! Stay warm!

BD, I wanna go! I've been to Akumal and this sounds very similar with the town being quite a walk down the beach. It looks like you made the most of your vacation - the only thing missing was an umbrella in your drink - the ultimate!

That has to be weird taking a bath right out there next to the lawn where people can watch. "Liquid courage" - lots of adult beverages, and then it won't matter. LOL
The "upgrade" fiasco happened to me once. I asked for a room with "marina view" in Fort Lauderdale because we are boat gurus. The hotel upgraded us to beachfront in a totally different building, across the street, and there wasn't a room left in the hotel. we were very, very disappointed that we were beachfront and not marina view. We wanted to have a view of the beautiful yachts, not the beach. We never went back there again.
When establishments think they are upgrading people, they just never know...sometimes it's not an upgrade to the guest.
This has got me thinking...I need a vacation...somewhere different...hummmm....maybe Big Major Cay (the Exumas in the Bahamas) where the pigs swim up to the boat looking for a handout...

That has to be weird taking a bath right out there next to the lawn where people can watch. "Liquid courage" - lots of adult beverages, and then it won't matter. LOL
The "upgrade" fiasco happened to me once. I asked for a room with "marina view" in Fort Lauderdale because we are boat gurus. The hotel upgraded us to beachfront in a totally different building, across the street, and there wasn't a room left in the hotel. we were very, very disappointed that we were beachfront and not marina view. We wanted to have a view of the beautiful yachts, not the beach. We never went back there again.
When establishments think they are upgrading people, they just never know...sometimes it's not an upgrade to the guest.
This has got me thinking...I need a vacation...somewhere different...hummmm....maybe Big Major Cay (the Exumas in the Bahamas) where the pigs swim up to the boat looking for a handout....
You're right about it being weird to have that tub out in the open. We didn't use it. If you've got to get into it in your bathing suit, what's the point?? There was a much bigger one inside the suite.
When you go on vacation, do you just go in Sanctuary and take off? Or would that be too much like work.

This has got me thinking...I need a vacation...somewhere different...hummmm....maybe Big Major Cay (the Exumas in the Bahamas) where the pigs swim up to the boat looking for a handout....
You're right about it being weird to have that tub out in the open. We didn't use it. If you've got to get into it in your bathing suit, what's the point?? There was a much bigger one inside the suite.
When you go on vacation, do you just go in Sanctuary and take off? Or would that be too much like work.
Breakfast Diva said:
Yes, I vacation on Sanctuary when I do get a chance to vacation. I never go anywhere without her! I haven't been off this boat for more than about 10 hours at a time in nearly five years. The benefit is that I never have to pack or decide what I want to take, and I never forget to bring anything - I take everything I own, including the kitchen sink, literally. :) ....and no airports or TSA "screening." LOL

Breakfast Diva said:
Yes, I vacation on Sanctuary when I do get a chance to vacation. I never go anywhere without her! I haven't been off this boat for more than about 10 hours at a time in nearly five years. The benefit is that I never have to pack or decide what I want to take, and I never forget to bring anything - I take everything I own, including the kitchen sink, literally. :) ....and no airports or TSA "screening." LOL
SWEET!!!!

That sounds like Bahia Del Mar? We didn't book there for that very reason, we WANTED ocean front and that is supposedly the "newer" building and most people were getting stuck in the marina view building which from the reviews sounds like it needs major renovations.

That sounds like Bahia Del Mar? We didn't book there for that very reason, we WANTED ocean front and that is supposedly the "newer" building and most people were getting stuck in the marina view building which from the reviews sounds like it needs major renovations.
Don Draper said:
Close, but no. But we did stay at the Bahia Del Mar back when it was the Raddison. We stayed in the tower with a spectacular view of the Bahia Marina. I walked those docks every evening. It was OK then, not a dump, but not luxurious - it was going to be sold and Raddison was sort of letting it go - I read later reviews that it did get a litte dumpy. It has since been renovated to some extent by the new owners - Bahia Del Mar.
The hotel that gave us the unwanted upgrade was the Sheritan just down the street - the one that has the building that looks like a cruise ship. They have three buildings. The first time we had a very lovely corner room in the tower that was across the street from the beach with a stunning marina view. There were full length windows in the "corner" of the room. And we could see the beach, too. The next time we went there, we had requested that very same room, by number, and I would have been happy to have had any room in that tower, really. However, they put us in the building that was beachfront. Very, very nice room, but it wasn't where we wanted to be and we had to walk through the "back" of the hotel to get to it - through the area where the dumpsters are - you'd think with such a nice beachfront building that they would have make the walk getting to it a little nice - why not build a concrete wall so you didn't have to know you were walking through the "trash" area to get to your room. That was the last time we stayed there. During that year, we went to Fort Lauderdale a lot as we were boat shopping. Those days are far behind us now. :) As luck would have it, it was when we were checking out of that hotel that day, heading for the airport, that we got an unexpected phone call from the yacht broker...and that's when our boat shopping days ended. We abandoned our plans to fly home that day and headed for Miami and bought the boat!

Breakfast Diva said:
SWEET!!!!
uber sweet!

agoodman said:
But what I am saying is please consider that there is another side of the coin, that desk clerks "have to" handle those overbookings or moves or upgrades for whatever reason while management who may or may not have "caused" the reasons for the room changes - are nowhere to be seen. Islands often have to deal with these issues because of flight or weather changes so please think of "the other side" as well.
This just makes me laugh, thinking of the Seinfeld scene with the car rental place. "So you took the reservation, you just didn't HOLD the reservation"!

I hear ya all and I was one of the ones back on another post that clearly said "never presume that people will appreciate an upgrade" or something like that ..
However I have seen the other side of the coin, I used to be the res manager for a group of hotels on an island, sometimes I would have entire flights not leave and had to accommodate the 400 rooms still coming in, so I could not always have them the room type they booked. Sometimes I had to put them in a suite rather than a room, but that suite may have been in another section of the hotel, not as "high" or "low" as the standard room etc
Sometimes I had to "upgrade" guests from 3 star to 5 star (leading hotels ..) but the guests were not comfortable in the "upscale" environment, may not have had the clothes or the extra $$ for higher priced drinks, or wanted to be on one side of the island and not the other.
Even when I worked at Disney Paris, where we had 5500 rooms, guest had planned and expected and told their kids about the "special" hotel they were going to - and dealing with a 1200 room overbooking was NOT FUN (no I was not the one responsible for the overbooking there LOL) .... and then I had to "walk" guests 50 back as far as Paris ...
But what I am saying is please consider that there is another side of the coin, that desk clerks "have to" handle those overbookings or moves or upgrades for whatever reason while management who may or may not have "caused" the reasons for the room changes - are nowhere to be seen. Islands often have to deal with these issues because of flight or weather changes so please think of "the other side" as well

When is a confirmed hotel reservation not confirmed? When the hotel has sold your room to someone else, as Linda and Michael Morgan learned over the Thanksgiving holiday.
NYC’s famous Waldorf-Astoria under fire for bumping guests in favor of royalty over Thanksgiving weekend: http://nyti.ms/dN5WLD

Don Draper said:
Close, but no. But we did stay at the Bahia Del Mar back when it was the Raddison. We stayed in the tower with a spectacular view of the Bahia Marina. I walked those docks every evening. It was OK then, not a dump, but not luxurious - it was going to be sold and Raddison was sort of letting it go - I read later reviews that it did get a litte dumpy. It has since been renovated to some extent by the new owners - Bahia Del Mar.
The hotel that gave us the unwanted upgrade was the Sheritan just down the street - the one that has the building that looks like a cruise ship. They have three buildings. The first time we had a very lovely corner room in the tower that was across the street from the beach with a stunning marina view. There were full length windows in the "corner" of the room. And we could see the beach, too. The next time we went there, we had requested that very same room, by number, and I would have been happy to have had any room in that tower, really. However, they put us in the building that was beachfront. Very, very nice room, but it wasn't where we wanted to be and we had to walk through the "back" of the hotel to get to it - through the area where the dumpsters are - you'd think with such a nice beachfront building that they would have make the walk getting to it a little nice - why not build a concrete wall so you didn't have to know you were walking through the "trash" area to get to your room. That was the last time we stayed there. During that year, we went to Fort Lauderdale a lot as we were boat shopping. Those days are far behind us now. :) As luck would have it, it was when we were checking out of that hotel that day, heading for the airport, that we got an unexpected phone call from the yacht broker...and that's when our boat shopping days ended. We abandoned our plans to fly home that day and headed for Miami and bought the boat!
We ended up staying at the Best Western that is basically surrounded by the Sheraton's 3 buildings. No ocean front rooms, but in August it didn't really matter, not to mention the King room was only $80/night and that included the breakfast buffet. We had a blast and would definitely go back. Will definitely make a trip to see the Sanctuary in Miami the next time we are down that way too!!!

Back