And hello to you too!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Guests arrive (before check-in time I might add) and in the middle of vacuuming the stairs.
I see them, go to the door, open and introduce myself welcome them to the inn --
"How do YOU EXPECT anyone to get in here with the gate locked!" they launch at me.
"Well hello to you too" I think. I reply calmly "There is no lock on the gate".
"WELL IT WAS LOCKED!"
I reply "Probably just sticking, I will go have a look at it after I show you your room."
Welcome to the inn MR & MRS STEPFORD.
A normal person, with manners would have said "Uh I think your gate may be locked, as we couldn't open it..." (notice NO exclamations on this sentence)
A nice normal person, with manners would have perhaps said something along those lines...

I am so sorry that this seems to be your week for getting the ignoramuses.

You mean there will be more? ugh
The thing is, when people arrive like this, they don't listen to a word you say, I might as well have been speaking Greek. Tomorrow they will go to the ELECTRIC HOT WATER KETTLE and try to pour a cup of coffee from it, even though the coffee and whole set up is where I showed them it will be. They will prob accuse me of moving it.
But alas, one nighters, as always.

The thing is, when people arrive like this, they don't listen to a word you say, I might as well have been speaking Greek. Tomorrow they will go to the ELECTRIC HOT WATER KETTLE and try to pour a cup of coffee from it, even though the coffee and whole set up is where I showed them it will be. They will prob accuse me of moving it.
But alas, one nighters, as always..
I would be grateful to only have to deal with them for 1 night. May their replacements - your next inn-coming be the nicest guests anyone could have.

I would be grateful to only have to deal with them for 1 night. May their replacements - your next inn-coming be the nicest guests anyone could have.
What is it with 1 nighters. They are the most likely to turn up early, ask the most questions, and be a general pita.
One nighters this week arrived at 11.15 expecting to check in. They didn't check out till 11.10 even though it clearly says check out is 10.30 in the rooms. If everyone did this it would give us 5 minutes a day to clean all the rooms.

It's a reflection on their mothers ;-) plus another example of why you don't abuse the person cooking/serving your food. Manners aside, it's just not wise policy!

We had a late arrival last week in the pouring rain. I was up, heard the car and got the door for them. I did not do the big spiel because it was late and they wanted to go eat before everything was closed.
Next morning she asks DH for a spoon for the coffee. He is never flip but this morning he says, 'They're right here, I didn't move them.'
She looks at him and says, 'But I've never been here before.'
Stalemate as he had no idea who she was and she didn't know what to say, either.

Don't get me going on the hot water kettle! I cannot tell you how many guests we've had who assume, even tho they have been shown how to turn the kettle on to heat the water, the water is hot all the time. The put in a teabag, pour tepid water, take a sip and grimace. And it's my fault they didn't bother to heat the water. 'It's not hot!!!' And they want me to either reheat it in the microwave (note, they were also shown where the microwave is) or go into the kitchen and dump it out and start over.
Don't get in the way of the cook in the minuscule kitchen!

What is it with 1 nighters. They are the most likely to turn up early, ask the most questions, and be a general pita.
One nighters this week arrived at 11.15 expecting to check in. They didn't check out till 11.10 even though it clearly says check out is 10.30 in the rooms. If everyone did this it would give us 5 minutes a day to clean all the rooms.
Do you mean to say that Samantha is not on your payroll so she can just tweak her nose and everything is shipshape? If they keep it up, at this rate you will be able to tell them to just go on up and tell the people from last night to move over.

JB, how did your guests even get to your door to acost you with rudeness if the gate was locked?
"How do YOU EXPECT anyone to get in here with the gate locked!" they launch at me.
"WELL IT WAS LOCKED!"
--> "But you managed to get through it, though, didn't you? Hmmm."

JB, how did your guests even get to your door to acost you with rudeness if the gate was locked?
"WELL IT WAS LOCKED!"
--> "But you managed to get through it, though, didn't you? Hmmm.".
Harborfields said:
"WELL IT WAS LOCKED!"
--> "But you managed to get through it, though, didn't you? Hmmm."
They went around.
We're not exactly Fort Knox.
The next guest came right through the gate, opened it and voila. It is one of those things, front door, people pull on the door knob and don't pull on the door. I am not sure what sort of doors they have at home or work, but our door requires you to actually open it. haha

Do you mean to say that Samantha is not on your payroll so she can just tweak her nose and everything is shipshape? If they keep it up, at this rate you will be able to tell them to just go on up and tell the people from last night to move over.
gillumhouse said:
If they keep it up, at this rate you will be able to tell them to just go on up and tell the people from last night to move over.
teeth_smile.gif

I would have told them that is was locked because they had arrived before check-in time. I would then tell them there was no lock and that the gate was probably just sticking. I would hand him a can of WD40 and say "Since you arrived WAY too early and have a bit of time on your hands before check-in, would you mind going and giving the gate a squirt?"

UPDATE:
As usual, they were Stepfords. They are currently at the table laughing like school children. Smiling. Enjoying everything.
wink_smile.gif

She even looks very attractive today, yesterday she was quite witch-like.
Travel. It takes its toll on people. Plus they are from our nation's capital, so there is always that - psychological negative influence on people who live and work in the rat race. When they leave it you can see the stress melting off of them...

Yes, travel takes a toll and sometimes makes even moderate people become pugnacious. Glad to hear they didn't stay grouchy!

Yes, travel takes a toll and sometimes makes even moderate people become pugnacious. Glad to hear they didn't stay grouchy!.
Arkansawyer said:
Yes, travel takes a toll and sometimes makes even moderate people become pugnacious. Glad to hear they didn't stay grouchy!
You and me both!
I like to hope that staying here helped melt away the stress.
I took this image and posted on social media today - this could be considered an innkeeper's little secret (the metamorphic process of the guests going from Stepford to delightful)
https://twitter.com/InnkeeperVA/status/245880269599551488/photo/1/large

Yes, travel takes a toll and sometimes makes even moderate people become pugnacious. Glad to hear they didn't stay grouchy!.
Arkansawyer said:
You and me both!
I took this image and posted on social media today - this could be considered an innkeeper's little secret (the metamorphic process of the guests going from Stepford to delightful)
Why am I not surprised they went from snarl to purrrrrrrrr - they are staying with YOU, JB

Arkansawyer said:
You and me both!
Did you take that picture or is it a stock photo from somewhere? I just love it - very clear & colorful.

Arkansawyer said:
You and me both!
Did you take that picture or is it a stock photo from somewhere? I just love it - very clear & colorful.
K9 said:
I took that photo 2 miles from here. I am going to put that together in a special hike blog article, but haven't got that far yet...

Back