And it is still snowing!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have so far about 2 feet and it's still snowing. The neighbor's wife slipped walking in the house and broke her ankle. Our roads have not been plowed yet since we're 6 miles from town and the emergency vehicle got in to get her but got stuck just minutes before our friend we called came to do a quick plow. They all pushed the ER vehicle out and on it's way so that was our excitement for the morning. Below is the level so far on our deck and Chris and Sasha walking through the shoveled tunnel of our front walk.
Snow%201.jpg

SashaChrisDec09_2.jpg
Riki how stressful. Glad they got her to the ER okay, great pix of hubs and pooch.

I sent a bunch of family/dog snow pix to our rel's down under and one replied - she said she woke up at 330am sweating since it is a heat wave there (diff seasons) and wanted to put the photos on and feel the cool! Dreaming of a white Christmas is an understatement.
Australians can't imagine these white Christmases with hot food, cookies, fires all aglow, santa in a heavy red suit...they are peeling prawns, wearing singlets and stubbies and swillin' beer on the beach, it is always miserably hot on Christmas in Oz. Nothing is cooked inside.

Thanks for the suggestions, my wise friends. I literally have nothing on hand except eggs, milk, Bisquick, and some bread for toasting. Oh, and bacon and sausage (link and bulk).
Our local pizza joint is open and will stay open as well as one other pub...most of the people who are here have four wheel drive and seem to be pretty self-sufficient, they are going to try to go out so we will probably see if they will do a take out order for others. Luckily we have tons of WINE for the open house so that is keeping them happy!
Everything I put out is getting scarfed up...including the mulled apple cider, couldn't believe how fast that went. I guess I should have been better prepared, at least with some pasta or something, but I didn't think it would be this bad. Innkeeping!!!! It's certainly an adventure...thank GOD everyone is being good natured about it..
Your house sounds like mine. I could do anything that involved everyone eating sausage, but nothing else! Glad it doesn't seem like you have whingers on your hands!
I do have ot say that I'm shocked you have so many guests in this kind of weather. For all I live in the great Northeast, everyone starts canceling on Monday if there's even a hint of snow for the weekend! Glad your crowd all showed up!
It's funny, whenever we do pre-Christmas packages here they seem to get booked by people who are fairly local and they just seem prepared to deal with snow. It could also be that they really thought this system was going to go off the coast at North Carolina and never make it further north than that...so people didn't really have a chance to cancel.
All things considered the timing of the snow itself was good, they were all already here and it will be done by tomorrow morning so they can take their time getting home. One woman just told me this is the most fun weekend getaway she's ever had, so there's a feather for my cap! I'm just so glad they all seem fairly content.
A group just went out to the pub and are bringing back some orders for others, so I think they're all set. I will leave the munchies out 'til they are gone. We have gone through 5 dozen chocolate chip cookies so far! Luckily I made a double batch of batter yesterday, so I will keep baking 'em, as many as they want!

I sent a bunch of family/dog snow pix to our rel's down under and one replied - she said she woke up at 330am sweating since it is a heat wave there (diff seasons) and wanted to put the photos on and feel the cool! Dreaming of a white Christmas is an understatement.
Australians can't imagine these white Christmases with hot food, cookies, fires all aglow, santa in a heavy red suit...they are peeling prawns, wearing singlets and stubbies and swillin' beer on the beach, it is always miserably hot on Christmas in Oz. Nothing is cooked inside..
We've made it a tradition to go to the beach on Christmas Day. Missed last year because it was raining. Usually, I can take my jacket off. One year I had my boots and socks off, too!
mc2.JPG

Thanks for the suggestions, my wise friends. I literally have nothing on hand except eggs, milk, Bisquick, and some bread for toasting. Oh, and bacon and sausage (link and bulk).
Our local pizza joint is open and will stay open as well as one other pub...most of the people who are here have four wheel drive and seem to be pretty self-sufficient, they are going to try to go out so we will probably see if they will do a take out order for others. Luckily we have tons of WINE for the open house so that is keeping them happy!
Everything I put out is getting scarfed up...including the mulled apple cider, couldn't believe how fast that went. I guess I should have been better prepared, at least with some pasta or something, but I didn't think it would be this bad. Innkeeping!!!! It's certainly an adventure...thank GOD everyone is being good natured about it..
Your house sounds like mine. I could do anything that involved everyone eating sausage, but nothing else! Glad it doesn't seem like you have whingers on your hands!
I do have ot say that I'm shocked you have so many guests in this kind of weather. For all I live in the great Northeast, everyone starts canceling on Monday if there's even a hint of snow for the weekend! Glad your crowd all showed up!
It's funny, whenever we do pre-Christmas packages here they seem to get booked by people who are fairly local and they just seem prepared to deal with snow. It could also be that they really thought this system was going to go off the coast at North Carolina and never make it further north than that...so people didn't really have a chance to cancel.
All things considered the timing of the snow itself was good, they were all already here and it will be done by tomorrow morning so they can take their time getting home. One woman just told me this is the most fun weekend getaway she's ever had, so there's a feather for my cap! I'm just so glad they all seem fairly content.
A group just went out to the pub and are bringing back some orders for others, so I think they're all set. I will leave the munchies out 'til they are gone. We have gone through 5 dozen chocolate chip cookies so far! Luckily I made a double batch of batter yesterday, so I will keep baking 'em, as many as they want!
Good for you! Do you have that special on your website? I'd like to look at it. A full house the week before Christmas would truly be a gift!

Beatiful photos, everyone!!! The snow photos above are very pretty. I like snow when it's where it's supposed to be - under my skis in Vail. LOL
A fellow Hatteras owner in Maryland, who lives on this boat, took this photo today, after his FOURTH shoveling. The boat was listing from the weight, so he had to stay on top of the snow removal duties. You know....this is just wrong....a snow-covered Hatteras. She should be somewhere warm!
Snowy%20Hatt.jpg

I walked to Chapel tonight. Was almost there when I slid a bit - holy crap this has a thick layer of ICE under it. I immediately removed one hand from my muff so my arms could balance me. Then I walked right past the Chapel and tried to get into the rectory before I realized my error! Got home with no incidents. So quiet! The town Christmas displays were twinkling and two vehicles passed me - one going in each direction. It really is a beautiful night.
The snow had stopped before I went to Chapel. The hardest part was finding where the curb was so I would not fall or hurt myself with the sudden drop. I am about to go to bed. Pleasant dreams my friends.

We have so far about 2 feet and it's still snowing. The neighbor's wife slipped walking in the house and broke her ankle. Our roads have not been plowed yet since we're 6 miles from town and the emergency vehicle got in to get her but got stuck just minutes before our friend we called came to do a quick plow. They all pushed the ER vehicle out and on it's way so that was our excitement for the morning. Below is the level so far on our deck and Chris and Sasha walking through the shoveled tunnel of our front walk.
Snow%201.jpg

SashaChrisDec09_2.jpg
Riki how stressful. Glad they got her to the ER okay, great pix of hubs and pooch.
Joey Bloggs said:
Yes, at least he has a four wheel drive and could follow them to the hospital. They were gone for a good long time, poor thing.
Riki

Here is another Art of Doing Nothing - I was typing that to CL's post when ths snoring made me turn and see this scene.
But it is after doing much - clearing off snow all morning (3 hours) on the porch and pathways and near the gate/parking lot - he just took some aleve as his shoulders are aching from so much shoveling:
removed

Well it's finally stopped. Sasha the Russian Wolfhound thinks the weather is just balmy. Perfect for sunbathing....
RIki
sashadec09.jpg

It's just started here and it's that nasty little snow that is always slick underfoot.

at 11 pm last nite we had no snow ... about 12:30 i looked outside and we were getting slammed. still snowing ... and guess what? the snow shovel that has been sitting in the front hall 'forever' is conspicuous by its absence! i could have picked one up all over the place this past week and now there are foot high snow drifts blocking both doors. shot an email to the owners, hoping they just moved it someplace else inside the house and not out in the barn.
why didn't i check before the snow started?
embaressed_smile.gif

We ended up with about 15 to 18 inches. I had geared myself to go out and shovel us out. Then our oldest son called on Skype so we got to see the grandkids and talk. Then the youngest son called. So now I finally get my boots on and find gloves and start to go out to dig out and I hear scraping on our deck at the kitchen. I go out to the front porch and his step-son is digging out the front steps and sidewalk! Preacher Beecher's son and his step-son came over to dig us out. Dug out the car and cleaned it off for me. And they are going to the grocery to get the one thing I am in need of - half & half for my coffee!
Haven't I told you folks I am the most blessed person I know?

We ended up with about 15 to 18 inches. I had geared myself to go out and shovel us out. Then our oldest son called on Skype so we got to see the grandkids and talk. Then the youngest son called. So now I finally get my boots on and find gloves and start to go out to dig out and I hear scraping on our deck at the kitchen. I go out to the front porch and his step-son is digging out the front steps and sidewalk! Preacher Beecher's son and his step-son came over to dig us out. Dug out the car and cleaned it off for me. And they are going to the grocery to get the one thing I am in need of - half & half for my coffee!
Haven't I told you folks I am the most blessed person I know?.
Sounds like you live in a village that appreciates and values you as a good neighbor.
I'd sure call that a blessing but I have a feeling it goes both ways!

Haven't I told you folks I am the most blessed person I know?.
gillumhouse said:
Haven't I told you folks I am the most blessed person I know?
You didn't have to tell me I already knew it.
angel_smile.gif

Back