And it is still snowing!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
We have about a foot of heavy, wet snow. It has been snowing all night. It is predicted to snow until tomorrow morning at least. I swept off the proch and shoveled a path (to show where the steps are to avoid injury) for the mailman. Fortunately he came right after as it is now almost gone - the path I mean.
Here are a few photos - from my kitchen deck (side of house), front porch looking at Fire Dept parking lot and Library, my front yard looking from deck, and from the porch looking up the street toward Rt 19.
FromDeck.jpg

FromFrontPorch.jpg

FrontYard.jpg
Looking%20UpStreet.jpg

Yep..still snowing here as well though it has lightened up quite a bit so maybe the end is in sight. We however have some really big snow drifts up and down our driveway. I am hoping our farmer friend comes by with his tractor tomorrow.. ...it may be too much for our snowblower. Here are a few pics ..not great ones though...
backyard.jpg

whiteout.jpg

relaxedcate.jpg

Yep..still snowing here as well though it has lightened up quite a bit so maybe the end is in sight. We however have some really big snow drifts up and down our driveway. I am hoping our farmer friend comes by with his tractor tomorrow.. ...it may be too much for our snowblower. Here are a few pics ..not great ones though...
backyard.jpg

whiteout.jpg

relaxedcate.jpg
Ok I had to upload one more pic...couldn't resist this one. He is just all over the place today trying to find a place to relax since he can't get outside.
Happy Holidays to All. HOpe you can find a bit of this kind of relaxation...some time!
CatUnderTree.jpg

backyard.jpg

whiteout.jpg

relaxedcate.jpg
Ok I had to upload one more pic...couldn't resist this one. He is just all over the place today trying to find a place to relax since he can't get outside.
Happy Holidays to All. HOpe you can find a bit of this kind of relaxation...some time!
CatUnderTree.jpg

I would title this:
The Art of Doing Nothing
CatUnderTree.jpg

backyard.jpg

whiteout.jpg

relaxedcate.jpg
Wow! You got snow!

DH watches the weather channel and it says we have 12 inches - so far. I will walk to Chapel tonight - I am not going to dig the car out until I have to.
I hope the aleve helps the shoulders.

The Northuhners in the neighborhood have been found out. We all heard a snow blower out there. LOL
It probably took them all morning to find where they put it to get it out to use. It stopped snowing here this morning, so the party is over now.

These pics are priceless! Thanks for sharing them.
We had a special package for this weekend, us and one other inn. Luckily everyone got in alright last night and those activities got finished. Today's activities are pushed until tomorrow so that is good. For now however, we are snowed in with 19 of our closest stranger-friends!
We were supposed to do an open house today so had some food here (finger stuff like veggies and dip, chips and guac, and cookies). But I'm seriously starting to think we will need to feed all these people dinner tonight since everything locally is closed.
All we have is breakfast stuff! Scrambled eggs and toast or pancakes...should I offer it up? I have some pasta and sauce too but I don't think it's enough for 19 people so I don't want to go there. Any other ideas???

Too cute!!!!! Poor Baby. Mine is now out with the snow blower...Last count 16 inches..... Still snowing lightly so maybe a few more to go. Me I am making cookies and dinner rolls.

We had a special package for this weekend, us and one other inn. Luckily everyone got in alright last night and those activities got finished. Today's activities are pushed until tomorrow so that is good. For now however, we are snowed in with 19 of our closest stranger-friends!
We were supposed to do an open house today so had some food here (finger stuff like veggies and dip, chips and guac, and cookies). But I'm seriously starting to think we will need to feed all these people dinner tonight since everything locally is closed.
All we have is breakfast stuff! Scrambled eggs and toast or pancakes...should I offer it up? I have some pasta and sauce too but I don't think it's enough for 19 people so I don't want to go there. Any other ideas???.
Definitely put out the munchies.
I would seriously hate to have to 'wing it' with 19 guests. And I wouldn't be able to. But, how about soup? Do you have the fixings for any kind of soup or stew? Something hearty that goes a long way.

Rupe all I can say is find out if any pizza joints are open and take up a collection. 19 is a large number to "guess who's coming to dinner" and wing it.

All we have is breakfast stuff! Scrambled eggs and toast or pancakes...should I offer it up? I have some pasta and sauce too but I don't think it's enough for 19 people so I don't want to go there. Any other ideas???.
If you have potatoes and onions and milk, you can make a pot of potato soup and make the Gillum House rolls (I think the recipe is posted here). If you have mini-muffin pans, put one walnut-size ball in each "cup". It will make a lot of rolls of the "just right" size - enough for your 19 friends. Or make a veggie soup. Cut up those veggies into soup instead of using as munchies. Soup and rolls will go a long way without a LOT of work.

If you have potatoes and onions and milk, you can make a pot of potato soup and make the Gillum House rolls (I think the recipe is posted here). If you have mini-muffin pans, put one walnut-size ball in each "cup". It will make a lot of rolls of the "just right" size - enough for your 19 friends. Or make a veggie soup. Cut up those veggies into soup instead of using as munchies. Soup and rolls will go a long way without a LOT of work.
A nice warm bowl of potato soup would probably seem like quite the treat to 19 stranded travelers. I vote soup!

Thanks for the suggestions, my wise friends. I literally have nothing on hand except eggs, milk, Bisquick, and some bread for toasting. Oh, and bacon and sausage (link and bulk).
Our local pizza joint is open and will stay open as well as one other pub...most of the people who are here have four wheel drive and seem to be pretty self-sufficient, they are going to try to go out so we will probably see if they will do a take out order for others. Luckily we have tons of WINE for the open house so that is keeping them happy!
Everything I put out is getting scarfed up...including the mulled apple cider, couldn't believe how fast that went. I guess I should have been better prepared, at least with some pasta or something, but I didn't think it would be this bad. Innkeeping!!!! It's certainly an adventure...thank GOD everyone is being good natured about it.

We have so far about 2 feet and it's still snowing. The neighbor's wife slipped walking in the house and broke her ankle. Our roads have not been plowed yet since we're 6 miles from town and the emergency vehicle got in to get her but got stuck just minutes before our friend we called came to do a quick plow. They all pushed the ER vehicle out and on it's way so that was our excitement for the morning. Below is the level so far on our deck and Chris and Sasha walking through the shoveled tunnel of our front walk.
Snow%201.jpg

SashaChrisDec09_2.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions, my wise friends. I literally have nothing on hand except eggs, milk, Bisquick, and some bread for toasting. Oh, and bacon and sausage (link and bulk).
Our local pizza joint is open and will stay open as well as one other pub...most of the people who are here have four wheel drive and seem to be pretty self-sufficient, they are going to try to go out so we will probably see if they will do a take out order for others. Luckily we have tons of WINE for the open house so that is keeping them happy!
Everything I put out is getting scarfed up...including the mulled apple cider, couldn't believe how fast that went. I guess I should have been better prepared, at least with some pasta or something, but I didn't think it would be this bad. Innkeeping!!!! It's certainly an adventure...thank GOD everyone is being good natured about it..
Sounds like the ingredients for Pasta Carbonara to me...

Everything I put out is getting scarfed up...including the mulled apple cider, couldn't believe how fast that went. I guess I should have been better prepared, at least with some pasta or something, but I didn't think it would be this bad. Innkeeping!!!! It's certainly an adventure...thank GOD everyone is being good natured about it..
I'd say you have done more than adequate. Order in Pizza or offer to get it...and make them pay...not you! Or better yet... have then just order it themselves. Give them the number and then let them go for it.

It is 3:30. I just went out to see where I shoeveled for the mailman at 10 this morning. You can hardly see the path - and it is still snowing. Talked myself into potato soup. It is a shame DH will not eat it - potatoes are starch that goes to sugar and he is type II.

Your house sounds like mine. I could do anything that involved everyone eating sausage, but nothing else! Glad it doesn't seem like you have whingers on your hands!
I do have ot say that I'm shocked you have so many guests in this kind of weather. For all I live in the great Northeast, everyone starts canceling on Monday if there's even a hint of snow for the weekend! Glad your crowd all showed up!

Back