And now for something completely different...The Weather

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Weather here from 40 degrees to 84 on Friday.
Do you post a weather link on your website?
Do you print out a daily weather report for your guests?
or do you not worry about it, just another day...?
Is there anything you do that is a little extra and takes some time like this, for your guests? Daily boat schedule if you live on an island, or something that is seasonal? Water temps?

In the summer I put the extended forecast on the "back-side" of the breakfast menu. Any other requests (ie boat schedules to Monhegan) are done to order.

To be honest - never thought of it. Do watch it if horses are scheduled in Dec - Feb.

Nothing about the weather since we have TVs in all the rooms, unless there was a weather watch/warning.
I put out our "to do" section of the paper for the guests which has weekly happenings. Had an area in our guest info area with weekly and monthly print outs of what was going on at all the local venues, museums, etc.

We have the weather link on our site and just inform guests of any changes in weather.
We keep quarterly regional magazines in each room which provide most of the areas events etc. but also talk about them at breakfast. This usually stirs up the conversation among the guests. We also provide maps to places and give details on parking etc. For boating point out all the landings available to them. We have brochures on many of the places to tour and call for reservations if required.

Since most of my guests were headed to the ferry to go to an island or off in the other direction to shop, I posted the weather every morning for the island and for the area. Guests LOVE that. I had to post it in the hallway because they'd all crowd around it.
Too bad I wasn't able to get my sweatshirt and sneaker concession going. Because so many times I'd tell them ... it's COLD on the boat, you need a sweatshirt and they'd head over to the general store to buy one! And boat shoes or sneakers like keds.

Since most of my guests were headed to the ferry to go to an island or off in the other direction to shop, I posted the weather every morning for the island and for the area. Guests LOVE that. I had to post it in the hallway because they'd all crowd around it.
Too bad I wasn't able to get my sweatshirt and sneaker concession going. Because so many times I'd tell them ... it's COLD on the boat, you need a sweatshirt and they'd head over to the general store to buy one! And boat shoes or sneakers like keds..
That was VERY smart of you to provide that info! I would have definitely appreciated it!

it came about because the first few guests i had asked me did i know what the weather would be like the next day. so i printed up part of the page from weather.com .... from then on, it was part of my routine to print it out and post it each morning. the whole front hallway became a big bulletin board. menus, happenings, local 'come to our bean supper' notices.
weather link on the website, sorry jb i didn't answer that part of your question. we had rain and/or fog for part of the day so often, i was hesitant to have that on there ... also, we had our own little weather system that didn't show up .... the island was usually 10 degrees colder than we were. and the nearest big town on the weather maps was usually 10 degrees warmer than we were.
one thing i wanted to do but did not was to have a webcam aimed at the harbor. i was constantly posting little videos of the harbor and sunset pictures on the blog. very, very popular with guests and visitors.

it came about because the first few guests i had asked me did i know what the weather would be like the next day. so i printed up part of the page from weather.com .... from then on, it was part of my routine to print it out and post it each morning. the whole front hallway became a big bulletin board. menus, happenings, local 'come to our bean supper' notices.
weather link on the website, sorry jb i didn't answer that part of your question. we had rain and/or fog for part of the day so often, i was hesitant to have that on there ... also, we had our own little weather system that didn't show up .... the island was usually 10 degrees colder than we were. and the nearest big town on the weather maps was usually 10 degrees warmer than we were.
one thing i wanted to do but did not was to have a webcam aimed at the harbor. i was constantly posting little videos of the harbor and sunset pictures on the blog. very, very popular with guests and visitors..
Curious minds want to know....what is served at a "bean supper", other than the obvious? ;-)

the baked beans are the main feature of the supper ... with many different people bringing in ceramic dishes and crock pots of their own beans. at the ones i've gone to, they've served hot dogs or ham 'on the side', corn bread, salad, coffee, tea and juice. and then dessert. (dessert was the best part in my opinion - homemade pies - yumm)
they aren't fancy meals by any means and up in the area of maine i was in, they were fundraisers for a community heating fund or other cause. they are great for an inexpensive meal and local color ... and from my experience, the organizers were happy to have visitors come because it adds to the fund.

the baked beans are the main feature of the supper ... with many different people bringing in ceramic dishes and crock pots of their own beans. at the ones i've gone to, they've served hot dogs or ham 'on the side', corn bread, salad, coffee, tea and juice. and then dessert. (dessert was the best part in my opinion - homemade pies - yumm)
they aren't fancy meals by any means and up in the area of maine i was in, they were fundraisers for a community heating fund or other cause. they are great for an inexpensive meal and local color ... and from my experience, the organizers were happy to have visitors come because it adds to the fund..
Sounds similar to our pot lucks here. The main feature here would usually be some form of PORK! Pie..........

they aren't fancy meals by any means and up in the area of maine i was in, they were fundraisers for a community heating fund or other cause. they are great for an inexpensive meal and local color ... and from my experience, the organizers were happy to have visitors come because it adds to the fund..
In Wisconsin they have fish boils - whitefish, new potatoes, and corn on the cob - all boiled together. They lift the huge basket out when everything is done and sidh up - YUM!! of course there is also salad and homemade pies & cakes for dessert. In my portion of WV it is spaghetti dinners as the fundraisers. I know it is Spring now - I saw my first RAMPS sign tonight. Now there will be ramp dinners all over the place as fundraisers. It only happens in Spring because that is the only time you can find ramps (they only grow in the wild and by May will be gone.)
All I know is that if you want a fantastic meal, find a local fundraiser dinner -wherever you may be.

Back