and so it begins...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update: The roaring chainsaws have been silenced. The tree is down and now in pieces all over their yard. Hasn't been touched since last Saturday
Today, the guests and I have been enjoying the Best of Alice Cooper blaring at a million decibels..
Uhg, I feel for you. I was talking to another B&B owner and she just had new neighbours move in next door with their FIVE dogs. And apparently their electric fence is not completely effective. Does not bode well for business. :(
happyjacks said:
Uhg, I feel for you. I was talking to another B&B owner and she just had new neighbours move in next door with their FIVE dogs. And apparently their electric fence is not completely effective. Does not bode well for business. :(
No it been a real problem. They have 6 dogs and no fenced yard. . . . and the blaring Alice Cooper? Not the kids, the parents!
Just shoot me
cry_smile.gif

Update: The roaring chainsaws have been silenced. The tree is down and now in pieces all over their yard. Hasn't been touched since last Saturday
Today, the guests and I have been enjoying the Best of Alice Cooper blaring at a million decibels..
happyjacks said:
No it been a real problem. They have 6 dogs and no fenced yard. . . . and the blaring Alice Cooper? Not the kids, the parents!
Just shoot me
cry_smile.gif

Living in a town I guess is not all that bad ! ( codes, etc, etc,)..Mary in Bridgewater
wink_smile.gif

happyjacks said:
Just shoot me
cry_smile.gif

The Farmers Daughter said:
happyjacks said:
Just shoot me
cry_smile.gif
My neighbor has 'tested' me on several occasions. He sits on 15 acres next to us, with about an acre of wooded area between our homes.
Just as a wedding was starting, he started up his riding mower and proceeded to mow the area next to my wedding arbor. This area is mostly woods with tall grass that never gets attention - intentional, you bet! The minister excussed himself and went over to talk to him, this after discussing it with us. We knew he would have better repore with him than either of us. It worked. The minister asked for 30 minutes; the neighbor never went back to mowing, not that day or ever - in that area.
Then the first time he spotted that we had black guests, he took out his gun and started target shooting in his side yard as they were enjoying the balcony. This was just after they had done a vast tree cuting in that acre between us and there was a good view of his yard from the balcony. I called the sheriff's office and they went over to speak with him. He doesn't do target practice there any longer.
teeth_smile.gif

He has a big dog as well - not friendly either. We do have a leash law but unfortunately the patrols are only done M-F and the neighbors know it! Come the weekend he would let the dog run wild and of course the dog found our property where people were enjoying the grounds. One afternoon, another neighbor was walking and the dog came up and almost bit her just infront of our place. We were out and she first thought the dog was ours and was yelling at us to get the dog away. Then another neighbor (state senator) came up on a bike, and the dog started chasing him. He turned and headed back to us speaking to the other neighbor. The senator called someone and since then the dog remains in HIS yard.
I have no idea when he will get another wild hair so we keep a watchful eye.

happyjacks said:
Just shoot me
cry_smile.gif

happyjacks said:
Just shoot me
cry_smile.gif
My neighbor has 'tested' me on several occasions. He sits on 15 acres next to us, with about an acre of wooded area between our homes.
Just as a wedding was starting, he started up his riding mower and proceeded to mow the area next to my wedding arbor. This area is mostly woods with tall grass that never gets attention - intentional, you bet! The minister excussed himself and went over to talk to him, this after discussing it with us. We knew he would have better repore with him than either of us. It worked. The minister asked for 30 minutes; the neighbor never went back to mowing, not that day or ever - in that area.
Then the first time he spotted that we had black guests, he took out his gun and started target shooting in his side yard as they were enjoying the balcony. This was just after they had done a vast tree cuting in that acre between us and there was a good view of his yard from the balcony. I called the sheriff's office and they went over to speak with him. He doesn't do target practice there any longer.
teeth_smile.gif

He has a big dog as well - not friendly either. We do have a leash law but unfortunately the patrols are only done M-F and the neighbors know it! Come the weekend he would let the dog run wild and of course the dog found our property where people were enjoying the grounds. One afternoon, another neighbor was walking and the dog came up and almost bit her just infront of our place. We were out and she first thought the dog was ours and was yelling at us to get the dog away. Then another neighbor (state senator) came up on a bike, and the dog started chasing him. He turned and headed back to us speaking to the other neighbor. The senator called someone and since then the dog remains in HIS yard.
copperhead said:
Sounds like a very good idea.

They "flipped" the house next to us and there were saws and hammering etc for two years, the other place which is sorta a restaurant was the same - worked ONLY on weekends for three years. The apartments across the street back onto a park, the kids who live there and family can never go to the park but run up and down screaming in front of the building, we look down on that. Every time I am outside I see them doing this.
I hear ya, it destroys what you have going. Fortunately for us the other neighbors are super quiet, never hear a peep out of them. See photo below.
med_PICT3018.JPG
And as my husband would say: "People are just dying to get in there!"

happyjacks said:
Just shoot me
cry_smile.gif

happyjacks said:
Just shoot me
cry_smile.gif
Coming from a dog breeding family, I would check your zoning and see how many dogs are allowed. Very often it is only up to three or four, and for more than that you have to be in a dog kennel zoning. This could be a way to get the dog problem lessened, especially if you can turn the authorities on to them without giving your name...these zoning laws are in place to protect people from excessive barking which drives ME nuts.
RIki

happyjacks said:
Just shoot me
cry_smile.gif

happyjacks said:
Just shoot me
cry_smile.gif
Coming from a dog breeding family, I would check your zoning and see how many dogs are allowed. Very often it is only up to three or four, and for more than that you have to be in a dog kennel zoning. This could be a way to get the dog problem lessened, especially if you can turn the authorities on to them without giving your name...these zoning laws are in place to protect people from excessive barking which drives ME nuts.
RIki
egoodell said:
happyjacks said:
Just shoot me
cry_smile.gif
RIki
That's exactly what I suggested to my friend. She needs to check with her township to find out what the bylaws have to say about that many dogs. In my municipality, a kennel license is required for anyone with more than three dogs.

happyjacks said:
Just shoot me
cry_smile.gif

happyjacks said:
Just shoot me
cry_smile.gif
RIki
egoodell said:
happyjacks said:
Just shoot me
cry_smile.gif
RIki
Yes, I have been down that road. Prior to Innkeeping, I used to raise and show German Shepherds and our county does not require a kennel license. They only require all dogs are innoculated for Rabies and each one licensed with the boro and must be confined to the owners property when not on leash.
As far as the neighbors, I have had the humane investigator out here on several occassions because in the summer they would lock their dogs in the basement for days on end while they went to the beach. Those dogs would howl and cry all night long. Current law says that unless they are deprived of food and water, (doesn't have to even be Dog Food, go figure) then its not a cruelty case. Its noise pollution and you must document it and go before the board to make a case) The whole thing is a total clusterf**k!
I have the neigbors on video for allowing their dogs to roam at large, so far nothing has been done by the county. The neighbors then retaliate by using various techniques as previously described. Their new one is to build a huge smokey scrap fire in the backyard when the wind is blowing towards my place. Preferably on weekends and especially when the windows are open.
One very busy (we were completely booked) 4th of July they had threw this this huge party with hundreds of people. They hired a professional heavy metal band complete with stage, concert sound, lighting and a mosh pit!. They set set this up as close to my property line as they could possible get. Right on the fence line. I had drunk partiers barfing in my back yard.
I had to call in the State Police when things got out of hand. The neighbors have never forgiven me and its been on ever since.

happyjacks said:
Just shoot me
cry_smile.gif

happyjacks said:
Just shoot me
cry_smile.gif
RIki
egoodell said:
happyjacks said:
Just shoot me
cry_smile.gif
RIki
Yes, I have been down that road. Prior to Innkeeping, I used to raise and show German Shepherds and our county does not require a kennel license. They only require all dogs are innoculated for Rabies and each one licensed with the boro and must be confined to the owners property when not on leash.
As far as the neighbors, I have had the humane investigator out here on several occassions because in the summer they would lock their dogs in the basement for days on end while they went to the beach. Those dogs would howl and cry all night long. Current law says that unless they are deprived of food and water, (doesn't have to even be Dog Food, go figure) then its not a cruelty case. Its noise pollution and you must document it and go before the board to make a case) The whole thing is a total clusterf**k!
I have the neigbors on video for allowing their dogs to roam at large, so far nothing has been done by the county. The neighbors then retaliate by using various techniques as previously described. Their new one is to build a huge smokey scrap fire in the backyard when the wind is blowing towards my place. Preferably on weekends and especially when the windows are open.
One very busy (we were completely booked) 4th of July they had threw this this huge party with hundreds of people. They hired a professional heavy metal band complete with stage, concert sound, lighting and a mosh pit!. They set set this up as close to my property line as they could possible get. Right on the fence line. I had drunk partiers barfing in my back yard.
I had to call in the State Police when things got out of hand. The neighbors have never forgiven me and its been on ever since.
What a nightmare. Are there other neighbors around? Are they too afraid to complain?
RIki

happyjacks said:
Just shoot me
cry_smile.gif

happyjacks said:
Just shoot me
cry_smile.gif
RIki
egoodell said:
happyjacks said:
Just shoot me
cry_smile.gif
RIki
What a nightmare. Are there other neighbors around? Are they too afraid to complain?
RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
There are others, but I am not aware of anyone having a problem with them other than me. Some of the other properties have buffers. There is a 3 acre field between them and the next property in the back and the owners on the other side have dogs and kids too, but pretty much keep to themselves. Not very friendly people.
One of their labs jumped the fence and came over to my place once. So like a good neighbor, I put the dog on a lead and took him back home. The wife opens the door and grabs the dog from me. Not even a thank you. Slams the door in my face and on my way down the walkway, I could hear the dog crying. I imagine she was kicking it.
Its so sad. I think people need to qualify to be either parents or pet owners.

I have HAD IT!!!
The latest? Archery. . . . with real arrows.
Where is the target? On the other side of my wooden privacy fence. Not only will this ruin my fence if they miss and no doubt they will. If they miss the fence then what???
This is the last straw. GRRRRRRRR!
I wonder if there is some kind of legal action I can take as this is getting PERSONAL not to mention out of hand.

I have HAD IT!!!
The latest? Archery. . . . with real arrows.
Where is the target? On the other side of my wooden privacy fence. Not only will this ruin my fence if they miss and no doubt they will. If they miss the fence then what???
This is the last straw. GRRRRRRRR!
I wonder if there is some kind of legal action I can take as this is getting PERSONAL not to mention out of hand..
I think if your local law enforcement officials are unable to help you, you might want to think about hiring an attorney.
These folks sound a bit on the dangerous side.

I am so frustrated with these people! Its very upsetting. . . . in a Hatfields and McCoys kinda way. (kidding...but really not)

Honestly I would move people like that get pleasure out of making you crazy and they hav this attitude that everyone is out to get them and nothing they are doing is objectional. Everyone is out to get them but with good reason If you lived in England they would have been prosecuted for about half a dozen things you have mentioned. What does local law enforcement say about this? Especially the mini rock festival surely you need permits for things like that? they would have been done for Drunk and Disorderly, Health and Safety and noise polution for a start and they are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Honestly I would move people like that get pleasure out of making you crazy and they hav this attitude that everyone is out to get them and nothing they are doing is objectional. Everyone is out to get them but with good reason If you lived in England they would have been prosecuted for about half a dozen things you have mentioned. What does local law enforcement say about this? Especially the mini rock festival surely you need permits for things like that? they would have been done for Drunk and Disorderly, Health and Safety and noise polution for a start and they are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head..
Sometimes I could just cry. This Inn is my life and I work so hard at it, it just doesn't seem fair.
It all comes down to corrupt politics. This family is long time friends with our towns police commissioner who has selective vision where they are concerned.
I can't even begin to express my frustration. The more I call the officials to report something, the worse the neighbors retaliation gets.
I am simply at my wits end.

Honestly I would move people like that get pleasure out of making you crazy and they hav this attitude that everyone is out to get them and nothing they are doing is objectional. Everyone is out to get them but with good reason If you lived in England they would have been prosecuted for about half a dozen things you have mentioned. What does local law enforcement say about this? Especially the mini rock festival surely you need permits for things like that? they would have been done for Drunk and Disorderly, Health and Safety and noise polution for a start and they are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head..
Sometimes I could just cry. This Inn is my life and I work so hard at it, it just doesn't seem fair.
It all comes down to corrupt politics. This family is long time friends with our towns police commissioner who has selective vision where they are concerned.
I can't even begin to express my frustration. The more I call the officials to report something, the worse the neighbors retaliation gets.
Document the calls to officialdom. Videotape the target practice, the dogs, and any other harrassment you get. You need evidence of the harrassment and the calls made to show nothing is being done. Once you have that, you go to a lawyer and sue the hell out of the neighbors AND the County for failing to act (the lawyer can tell you if that is possible). It will not make you any more popular there, but you are concerned about the safety of the Public - your guests. Since you are a business open to John Q Public you will probably have a better chance with that safety issue than if you were just Joe Schmuck, private citizen.

Gillum has some very good thoughts here and you do need to have evidence and document everything - when you call, who you spoke with, what they told you, etc.
So these people have an in with the town police commissioner but what about the county? Can you go to the county or state law enforcement? The way it was explained to us is that county overrides city and state overrides county. Most state or county officers will step in if it is life threating and is not being handled by local officals. If nothing else, they should be able to tell you the law about the archery issue* and then you can determine how to proceed, but you may be better off getting an attorney and you must research them out as well as you do not want to find out that the one you pick is best buddies with the commissioner
sad_smile.gif
. * Since these are used for hunting, there could be laws in place as to where they can be used, just like with gun target practice.
Is this your fence or theirs? Is it on the lot line or inside your property? If this is your fence on your property, they have no right to place anything on the fence and if they damage it, they could be held accountable for the damage. Again - take pictures and videos if possible.
Wish you the best of luck dealing with this smuck.

My DH just put up the highest fence(and costly) possible to hide our neighbours trash/garbage/vehicles.
Finally our guests don't think it is our trash.

Back