and so it begins...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
For those of you who have been following my fiascos with my neighbors...they're baaacck.
Here we have the first nice Saturday and we are booked for the first time in weeks and this is the time they decide to cut down a tree within 30 feet of one of my guestrooms ... roaring chainsaws and all. grrrrr!
How would you handle this?

Bring them cookies and ask them if they could let you know next time they're doing noisy work outside since it creates a disturbance for your guests.

Are these the dog people? I forget.
We are doing work outside today as it IS the first nice Saturday, we can't do it midweek. Leaf blowers, chain saw, mowing lawns and hedge trimmers. First mow of the year. :)

We are doing work outside today as it IS the first nice Saturday, we can't do it midweek. Leaf blowers, chain saw, mowing lawns and hedge trimmers. First mow of the year. :).
Joey Bloggs said:
We are doing work outside today as it IS the first nice Saturday, we can't do it midweek. Leaf blowers, chain saw, mowing lawns and hedge trimmers. First mow of the year. :)
Yes, these are the barking dog, spraying/roaming cats and unsupervised teenager people. I understand that just because I am a B & B that things don't just stop for me, however these folks have a knack for bad timing and irresponsible behavior. Maybe next week they will litter the adjoining property with junk cars up on cinderblocks . . . .

I think I would let it go. The very same thing is happening next door to me. As long as it is done by dark, I wouldn't say anything.
OF COURSE, tho, if my neighbrs were like yours, I'd feel the very same way you do. I'd be tearing my hair out and wanting to DO something.
But, not much you can do about this. It's yardwork. I wouldn't even apologize to guests about it unless you're trying to talk with them and you can't. Then I'd just say, 'That'll be done with in a little while. We're happy they're taking care of their property.' Make it sound like a good thing.

We are doing work outside today as it IS the first nice Saturday, we can't do it midweek. Leaf blowers, chain saw, mowing lawns and hedge trimmers. First mow of the year. :).
Joey Bloggs said:
Yes, these are the barking dog, spraying/roaming cats and unsupervised teenager people. I understand that just because I am a B & B that things don't just stop for me, however these folks have a knack for bad timing and irresponsible behavior. Maybe next week they will litter the adjoining property with junk cars up on cinderblocks . . . .
The Farmers Daughter said:
. Maybe next week they will litter the adjoining property with junk cars up on cinderblocks . . . .
They haven't yet? and who needs cinderblocks. LOL
shades_smile.gif
Just kidding.

They "flipped" the house next to us and there were saws and hammering etc for two years, the other place which is sorta a restaurant was the same - worked ONLY on weekends for three years. The apartments across the street back onto a park, the kids who live there and family can never go to the park but run up and down screaming in front of the building, we look down on that. Every time I am outside I see them doing this.
I hear ya, it destroys what you have going. Fortunately for us the other neighbors are super quiet, never hear a peep out of them. See photo below.
med_PICT3018.JPG

They "flipped" the house next to us and there were saws and hammering etc for two years, the other place which is sorta a restaurant was the same - worked ONLY on weekends for three years. The apartments across the street back onto a park, the kids who live there and family can never go to the park but run up and down screaming in front of the building, we look down on that. Every time I am outside I see them doing this.
I hear ya, it destroys what you have going. Fortunately for us the other neighbors are super quiet, never hear a peep out of them. See photo below.
med_PICT3018.JPG
Joey Bloggs said:
med_PICT3018.JPG
Deathly quiet, I see !
thumbs_up.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Maybe next week they will litter the adjoining property with junk cars up on cinderblocks . . . .
You laugh, but that's what I've got for a neighbor! A hoarder, yard full of junk and trash, house falling down around their ears. No junk cars any more - we made them get rid of that - but every other kind of junk imaginable. We are just going to the town for the third time to get some help, but there are no enforcement agencies here for that kind of thing. At this time of year we can't wait for the trees to leaf out so you can't see it quite so much.

Joey Bloggs said:
Maybe next week they will litter the adjoining property with junk cars up on cinderblocks . . . .
You laugh, but that's what I've got for a neighbor! A hoarder, yard full of junk and trash, house falling down around their ears. No junk cars any more - we made them get rid of that - but every other kind of junk imaginable. We are just going to the town for the third time to get some help, but there are no enforcement agencies here for that kind of thing. At this time of year we can't wait for the trees to leaf out so you can't see it quite so much.
muirford said:
Ohhh boy do I hear you! Our neighbors are junk collectors too. About 5 years ago I had a table with a broken leg that I put out for trash pick up. Not 10 mins. later it was sitting in their yard and hasn't moved since.
There is no fence tall enough . . . . btw . . . I am all for neutering the stupid as we have enough of them already

Joey Bloggs said:
What a shame that the area has no enforcement for this type of thing. Many, many don't so you are not alone. This is not just a bother or eyesore for the neighbors, it lowers property values (something none of us need to deal with now) and creates health issues because those places are a rats haven.
And on top of all that, hoarding is an illness that is not detected by Dr.s and if they would have laws that make the health dept. be notified and have laws to provide services for help, not just FINES and time frames to clean up or the cycle will continue.

Joey Bloggs said:
What a shame that the area has no enforcement for this type of thing. Many, many don't so you are not alone. This is not just a bother or eyesore for the neighbors, it lowers property values (something none of us need to deal with now) and creates health issues because those places are a rats haven.
And on top of all that, hoarding is an illness that is not detected by Dr.s and if they would have laws that make the health dept. be notified and have laws to provide services for help, not just FINES and time frames to clean up or the cycle will continue.
I agree. Wanna hear something funny? My neighbor is the president of the town recycling committee.

Joey Bloggs said:
I agree. Wanna hear something funny? My neighbor is the president of the town recycling committee.
Oh great. So they probably think that they will EVENTUALLY reuse some of that stuff and think they're being good stewards rather than packrats who are breeding disease!

Of course then there is THIS
Bad enough to see the glaring-white back-haired spouse who was working around here yesterday and forced to put on a tank top.

Joey Bloggs said:
muirford said:
Ohhh boy do I hear you! Our neighbors are junk collectors too. About 5 years ago I had a table with a broken leg that I put out for trash pick up. Not 10 mins. later it was sitting in their yard and hasn't moved since.
There is no fence tall enough . . . . btw . . . I am all for neutering the stupid as we have enough of them already
I am all for neutering the stupid
Made me laugh out loud! Thanks for the chuckle!
teeth_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
muirford said:
teeth_smile.gif

Emily Spiers said:
teeth_smile.gif
Don't say that, we would all go out of business. LOL

We don't have neighbors--per say close by..but when guest drove down our rode to see us at first its a beautiful ride, but then you come to THE TRAILERS, these people throw their trash in front, yes they also pick up stuff and of course --IT HAS TO BE IN THEIR FRONT YARD not their back...why i ask! Its nice not to have snow on the ground, but then we see all the junk in their front yard...
But, you can't control your neighbors, thank God that our guests could not see that from the Inn, we have a tall hedge in front of the Inn and as soon as guests walked throuh them they where completely amazed...but driving by these three trailers really MAKES MY BLOOD BOIL!

Update: The roaring chainsaws have been silenced. The tree is down and now in pieces all over their yard. Hasn't been touched since last Saturday
Today, the guests and I have been enjoying the Best of Alice Cooper blaring at a million decibels.

Update: The roaring chainsaws have been silenced. The tree is down and now in pieces all over their yard. Hasn't been touched since last Saturday
Today, the guests and I have been enjoying the Best of Alice Cooper blaring at a million decibels..
Uhg, I feel for you. I was talking to another B&B owner and she just had new neighbours move in next door with their FIVE dogs. And apparently their electric fence is not completely effective. Does not bode well for business. :(

Back