And so the pleading begins...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Last weekend chock-a-block full, this weekend, we have only a couple rooms booked. There is a nearby wine and music event and this one lady has called and pleaded with me to allow them to stay here. What is the issue you ask? Three people in one room. She said other B&B's allows people to sleep on the floor, why can't you? I told her point blank (which was difficult as she had diarrhea of the mouth) you will need to rent two rooms. She went on and on and on...insisting that we allow them to sleep on the floor as her mother really wants to stay here.
8 out of 10 phone calls at this inn are not "booking" related, then 1 out of 10 are and usually annoying, like this one. She has called back twice. Last night we let the machine get it and she called 4 times before leaving a message, again, which was veyr lengthy.
Meanwhile we have rooms available! Anyone want a wine and rock fest, come on down! Seriosuely, you are more than welcome, this weekend!

Reminds me of this last weekend. She calls and ask me if we have anything available for Sunday night I said we do and then she says she can't eat glutten I said no problem. Then she says they don't eat pork. She asked what would be easier book over the phone or online. I said online. Well she never booked so I "went home" drove over 100 miles and just to home and then he calls and said they we at the HI (30 miles from the B&B) and didn't like the area and was wondering if I still have avaliabity, I said no. Sometimes it just feels good to say NO!
Escaped the PITA!
pita.gif

When the issue of additional people come up I always state it is the Fire regs. and can't go over the alloted number.
I had a group of 5 arrive when the reservation was for 2, max in room was 4. This was during a major event period, prepayment 30 days prior. NO, I did not let them off the hook, and no I did not allow the 5th person to stay so they all left. The one called me each day to see if the room was still open.... 'some of us may come back'. I know they just didn't want me to double dip.

Do you have online booking that will block 3 to a room? If you do, just tell her that reservations are only taken online, you don't take phone reservations.
We changed our policy a few weeks ago and no longer accept phone reservations at all... because phone reservations don't give me any proof that they have agreed to my terms and conditions.

Do you have online booking that will block 3 to a room? If you do, just tell her that reservations are only taken online, you don't take phone reservations.
We changed our policy a few weeks ago and no longer accept phone reservations at all... because phone reservations don't give me any proof that they have agreed to my terms and conditions..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
We changed our policy a few weeks ago and no longer accept phone reservations at all... because phone reservations don't give me any proof that they have agreed to my terms and conditions.
Sure, it says maximum occupancy 2. Actually she was going to book online and just bring three! She told me amongst 500,000 other words.

We changed our policy a few weeks ago and no longer accept phone reservations at all... because phone reservations don't give me any proof that they have agreed to my terms and conditions..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Sure, it says maximum occupancy 2. Actually she was going to book online and just bring three! She told me amongst 500,000 other words.
Joey Bloggs said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
That has happened here as well. Reserve the room for 4 and show up with 6 and think no one will notice. Actually, we noticed in the morning when 2 completely different people showed up for breakfast as the ones who registered and paid drove away. When we cleaned the room it was obvious some of them slept in the chairs and on the floor. The pillows were everywhere, the beds completely unmade so the blankets could be handed off to the freegans on the floor.
Lo and behold, they left things behind they wanted returned. How interesting.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
We haven't had someone try that one, yet. But if they did it online and agreed to your terms, then you refuse them the third person, they are stuck! And since you have authorized only two on the premises, you can serve the third with a tresspass notice and keep the money. Don't these people ever think? Just what they need, a legal tresspass notice on their record when they go looking for a job!

When the issue of additional people come up I always state it is the Fire regs. and can't go over the alloted number.
I had a group of 5 arrive when the reservation was for 2, max in room was 4. This was during a major event period, prepayment 30 days prior. NO, I did not let them off the hook, and no I did not allow the 5th person to stay so they all left. The one called me each day to see if the room was still open.... 'some of us may come back'. I know they just didn't want me to double dip..
copperhead said:
That is a great idea, I should have thought of that! When all else fails, blame the law.
It's good to know we're not the only ones who have to deal with this type of stuff. We see this most heavily in the summer when people come for concerts that play just up the road. One time, when I checked a guy in, it was just him, but in the morning he comes down with two of his friends, but only two of the three had breakfast. I was going to be nice and just look the other way, but then a fourth came down, so I had to say something. To be polite, I waited until his friends had gone back up to the room before I took him aside and explained that there would be extra charges. He seemed completely taken by surprise, but nodded along. After he left, he replied to our automated post-stay survey that he thought that it was "tacky" and "uncalled for since my friends had to sleep on the floor, anyway."
Another time, we had three people check-in, and we let them know that there would be an extra charge for the third person. When they argued about the amount, we let them know it was to cover our added expenses and the additional breakfast, but they threw a complete fit in the middle of the common area (hoping, I guess, that others would hear and sympathize). "I can't believe you are going to charge me for bringing my child!" Okay. First of all, we do not allow children under the age of 12 due to the atmosphere we're trying to create for others, and all of the breakable antiques around the house. Second of all, there's no way that this particular "child" was a day younger than 17. Sorry, but that's a person, not a child. Eventually the husband stormed off, drove home, and left his wife and son to enjoy the room without him, after which they left a nasty review on TA - "I should have stayed at a Motel 6. At least they wouldn't make me cry." PUH-leeeeez.

I had a group of 5 arrive when the reservation was for 2, max in room was 4. This was during a major event period, prepayment 30 days prior. NO, I did not let them off the hook, and no I did not allow the 5th person to stay so they all left. The one called me each day to see if the room was still open.... 'some of us may come back'. I know they just didn't want me to double dip..
copperhead said:
That is a great idea, I should have thought of that! When all else fails, blame the law.
It's good to know we're not the only ones who have to deal with this type of stuff. We see this most heavily in the summer when people come for concerts that play just up the road. One time, when I checked a guy in, it was just him, but in the morning he comes down with two of his friends, but only two of the three had breakfast. I was going to be nice and just look the other way, but then a fourth came down, so I had to say something. To be polite, I waited until his friends had gone back up to the room before I took him aside and explained that there would be extra charges. He seemed completely taken by surprise, but nodded along. After he left, he replied to our automated post-stay survey that he thought that it was "tacky" and "uncalled for since my friends had to sleep on the floor, anyway."
Another time, we had three people check-in, and we let them know that there would be an extra charge for the third person. When they argued about the amount, we let them know it was to cover our added expenses and the additional breakfast, but they threw a complete fit in the middle of the common area (hoping, I guess, that others would hear and sympathize). "I can't believe you are going to charge me for bringing my child!" Okay. First of all, we do not allow children under the age of 12 due to the atmosphere we're trying to create for others, and all of the breakable antiques around the house. Second of all, there's no way that this particular "child" was a day younger than 17. Sorry, but that's a person, not a child. Eventually the husband stormed off, drove home, and left his wife and son to enjoy the room without him, after which they left a nasty review on TA - "I should have stayed at a Motel 6. At least they wouldn't make me cry." PUH-leeeeez.
MorrisonEscape said:
Eventually the husband stormed off, drove home, and left his wife and son to enjoy the room without him, after which they left a nasty review on TA - "I should have stayed at a Motel 6. At least they wouldn't make me cry." PUH-leeeeez.
That is a good one. Brought the guest to tears did you? I wish. Most of my complainers don't cry they whine. I wish they would cry, at least I could enjoy that.

copperhead said:
MorrisonEscape said:
Eventually the husband stormed off, drove home, and left his wife and son to enjoy the room without him, after which they left a nasty review on TA - "I should have stayed at a Motel 6. At least they wouldn't make me cry." PUH-leeeeez.
That is a good one. Brought the guest to tears did you? I wish. Most of my complainers don't cry they whine. I wish they would cry, at least I could enjoy that.
Hahaha, if only I'd been lucky enough to witness it!

Back