and that's a night?!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Why I hate answering the phone.
Our rooms range from $125-150
"and that's a night?!"

Don't you know they were expecting it for a week for a family of 4?

No we are not a boarding house! When I get this I tell people the # for the cheapest place in town... That is what they are looking for anyway - and they can bank on lots of security and very well lit parking lot because the police spend a lot of time there!

Yes, we get that too... But, I've amended my answer to always include, "All rooms have a private bathroom and it includes a full homecooked breakfast in the morning." I think adding the breakfast part helps them quantify it. A couple could easily spend $25 for breakfast around here, so take that off the room price and it's very reasonable.

No we are not a boarding house! When I get this I tell people the # for the cheapest place in town... That is what they are looking for anyway - and they can bank on lots of security and very well lit parking lot because the police spend a lot of time there!.
dont get me started on the police! they have been parked at the back of my next door neighbour all day and crime scene tape all over its a fricking nightmare! fortunately all my guests are out all day setting up for a big event so havn't seem the CSI people in and out with purple gloves and evidence bags all day!

I always tell people 4 or 5 selling points before sharing the price. Even if they ask "what's the price per night?" I start out by saying our price includes 1), 2), 3), 4), and 5). Then I pause and say that room goes for $----.

Yes, we get that too... But, I've amended my answer to always include, "All rooms have a private bathroom and it includes a full homecooked breakfast in the morning." I think adding the breakfast part helps them quantify it. A couple could easily spend $25 for breakfast around here, so take that off the room price and it's very reasonable..
K9, that's when this kind of caller usually says, "All I want is a clean place to sleep for the night". Hahahahahaha!

I got that but it went like this: "do you have any rooms available this weekend?"
me: "no, I'm sorry, we are booked completely full."
Him:"Oh wow, your prices must be really cheap!"
Me: grrrrrr under my breath.... thinking... NO, we are just that GOOD! (I probably should of said that)... But instead,
I said (with a smile in my voice): "No, our prices are about the same as everyone else here in town" Then I directed him to the cheapest place up by the interstate!

I got that but it went like this: "do you have any rooms available this weekend?"
Me: grrrrrr under my breath.... thinking... NO, we are just that GOOD! (I probably should of said that)... But instead,
I said (with a smile in my voice): "No, our prices are about the same as everyone else here in town" Then I directed him to the cheapest place up by the interstate!.
I always say "well we are very popular and our prices are very competitive so our regular guests know to book up early to make sure they can get a place with us - ie at least 6 weeks ahead for a weekend)

Are you ever tempted to say, 'No, per hour'?.
Madeleine said:
Are you ever tempted to say, 'No, per hour'?
thumbs_up.gif

I said (with a smile in my voice): "No, our prices are about the same as everyone else here in town" Then I directed him to the cheapest place up by the interstate!.
We had a caller yesterday who I knew was a little surprised by the prices. She mentioned staying in the city near here instead. Wherein I let her know the rooms could be, at that time of year, $400+/night. Explained I did not know for a fact they would be that for the weekend they wanted but that we had had some folks here with 'big city sticker shock'.
But, you can always find a little side of the road place for under $100.

We had a caller yesterday who I knew was a little surprised by the prices. She mentioned staying in the city near here instead. Wherein I let her know the rooms could be, at that time of year, $400+/night. Explained I did not know for a fact they would be that for the weekend they wanted but that we had had some folks here with 'big city sticker shock'.
You would think by now that B & B stay no longer means a cheap room in someone's house!!! Unless they want to do Air B N B :-( GRRRRR.

Do you offer a Government rate? Yes we sure do! Just add 50% to your stay.... "Oh thats great!"....."Wait.....what?"

You would think by now that B & B stay no longer means a cheap room in someone's house!!! Unless they want to do Air B N B :-( GRRRRR.
But they expect the B & B to have the cheap room with all the bells and whistles a B & B is supposed to have

Some years ago.....
me: Our rooms are £60 per night
him: What? We can get a room in Inverness for £25
me: Well go back to Inverness and stop waisting my time.

Back