And we thought it was over...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
...the summertime blues that is. The guests who don't care about how they abuse the property. We have just spent an hour and a half trying to clean mascara out of a carpet. And off the side tables. And off the tile. And the hardwood floor. Amazingly, there wasn't a smidge on the pillows or towels. But, it was quite clear that they laid the mascara wand down on the side table and dropped it on the carpet several times and then walked thru it. It was on the tile, the carpet and the wood floor.
It partially cleaned up with alcohol. Then we cleaned the whole carpet. Then we were back on hands and knees with the rubbing alcohol again trying to spot clean. (Now I need the fermented stuff!)
This one is getting a cleaning bill. It was completely unnecessary to track the mascara all over the room. Big clumps of it.
There's a whole other raft of issues with this one that required both beds be completely stripped and everything washed. And one of the comfy chairs also needed a thorough going over.

pita.gif

I wish there was a registry for bad guests. I saw one at www.theguestadvisor.com but it doesn't really seem all that complete. Maybe the PAII should have one or something.
Sorry about the PITA.

I wish there was a registry for bad guests. I saw one at www.theguestadvisor.com but it doesn't really seem all that complete. Maybe the PAII should have one or something.
Sorry about the PITA..
It looks like the carpet may actually be dry by the time the next guests arrive as they usually show up around 10 PM. The smell is gone. The bedding is all washed and back on the beds.
I'm smiling again.

Oh Man...you didn't need this at this time of year!
cry_smile.gif
So far we have escaped any major cleaning issues this fall. But we never know, day to day, what kind of a mess we will find and have to clean up before the next guest arrives.
Was it the alchohol that dissolved the mascara the best? I suppose it was the waterproof kind....just your luck.

cry_smile.gif
So far we have escaped any major cleaning issues this fall. But we never know, day to day, what kind of a mess we will find and have to clean up before the next guest arrives.
Was it the alchohol that dissolved the mascara the best? I suppose it was the waterproof kind....just your luck..
On Sunday I may try some Oxy something or other. A guest left me a big roller stick of it so I may try that in an inconspicuous place to see what happens.

cry_smile.gif
Was it the alchohol that dissolved the mascara the best? I suppose it was the waterproof kind....just your luck..
I tried make up removal cloths first. Those worked great on the hard surfaces but really smeared on the carpet. After that we just got a big bottle of rubbing alcohol and some old wash cloths and went at it. It faded. But it's not gone. (It looks like a fine point marker at this point.)
The incoming guests just called and they are a couple of hours away. I can't get the floor wet again now and tomorrow we have guests who want in early so nothing doing tomorrow.
At least I think we got the dog mess cleaned up. Oh yeah, that was the other problem...the dog mess.
The next guests will check themselves in so I'm off to have a look see right now. He owns a boutique hotel so they notice everything.

cry_smile.gif
I tried make up removal cloths first. Those worked great on the hard surfaces but really smeared on the carpet. After that we just got a big bottle of rubbing alcohol and some old wash cloths and went at it. It faded. But it's not gone. (It looks like a fine point marker at this point.)
The incoming guests just called and they are a couple of hours away. I can't get the floor wet again now and tomorrow we have guests who want in early so nothing doing tomorrow.
At least I think we got the dog mess cleaned up. Oh yeah, that was the other problem...the dog mess.
The next guests will check themselves in so I'm off to have a look see right now. He owns a boutique hotel so they notice everything.
You may need to beg your local dry cleaner...
http://www.ehow.com/how_7438029_purchase-cleaning-solvent-upholstery-cleaning.html

cry_smile.gif
On Sunday I may try some Oxy something or other. A guest left me a big roller stick of it so I may try that in an inconspicuous place to see what happens.
Hmmm, I doubt the oxy cleaner will work on the stain if it is ink or mascara. You might be better to try some type of organic solvent, sometimes the old style nail polish remover works well.

We just had a big clump of eyeliner ground into our carpet - of course, I didn't see it until the vacuum cleaner had it's way with it. Used Resolve and after some scrubbing and quite a few douses, it finally cleaned up.

Back