And yet guests will use the criticism to make decisions...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
[h3]You won't benefit from anonymous criticism [/h3]
I recently heard from a TED speaker who was able to quote, verbatim, truly nasty comments people had posted about her talk.
And yet, I've never once met an author who said, "Well, my writing wasn't resonating, but then I read all the 1 star reviews on Amazon, took their criticism to heart and now I'm doing great..."
There are plenty of ways to get useful and constructive feedback. It starts with looking someone in the eye, with having a direct one on one conversation or email correspondence with a customer who cares. Forms, surveys, mass emails, tweets--none of this is going to do anything but depress you, confuse you (hey, half the audience wants one thing, the other half wants the opposite!) or paralyze you.
I'm arguing that it's a positive habit to deliberately insulate yourself from this feedback. Don't ask for it and don't look for it.
Yes, change what you make to enhance delight. No, don't punish yourself by listening to the mob.

I don't get the title of this thread, but I get the sentiment in the article. I think I would have to be put into a straight jacket if I had feed back forms for people to fill out.
Case in point, couples traveling together, they have no boundaries and are flippant. The last thing I want is someone to be flippant to me. Do I really want their feedback? Who try to break into my quarters just to see what is behind the door marked private? Who are out onthe porch til we tell them to go inside as they are disturbing the neighbors on a sunday night, and are back out there laughing and boisterous at 7am today? The Mob is the last on my "feedback" list. There is always one who is sarcastic and thinks joking about what other people say is funny, yeah funny, big man, real funny.

I don't get the title of this thread, but I get the sentiment in the article. I think I would have to be put into a straight jacket if I had feed back forms for people to fill out.
Case in point, couples traveling together, they have no boundaries and are flippant. The last thing I want is someone to be flippant to me. Do I really want their feedback? Who try to break into my quarters just to see what is behind the door marked private? Who are out onthe porch til we tell them to go inside as they are disturbing the neighbors on a sunday night, and are back out there laughing and boisterous at 7am today? The Mob is the last on my "feedback" list. There is always one who is sarcastic and thinks joking about what other people say is funny, yeah funny, big man, real funny..
Joey Bloggs said:
I don't get the title of this thread...
I guess that, while criticism posted somewhere, anonymous or not, is often of no use to the innkeeper, other guests see it and may decide to stay elsewhere.

Case in point, couples traveling together, they have no boundaries and are flippant. The last thing I want is someone to be flippant to me. Do I really want their feedback? Who try to break into my quarters just to see what is behind the door marked private? Who are out onthe porch til we tell them to go inside as they are disturbing the neighbors on a sunday night, and are back out there laughing and boisterous at 7am today? The Mob is the last on my "feedback" list. There is always one who is sarcastic and thinks joking about what other people say is funny, yeah funny, big man, real funny..
Joey Bloggs said:
I guess that, while criticism posted somewhere, anonymous or not, is often of no use to the innkeeper, other guests see it and may decide to stay elsewhere.
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Bingo!

And this on my FB page this morning:
Public opinion is a permeating influence, and it exacts obedience to itself; it requires us to think other men's thoughts, to speak other men's words, to follow other men's habits.
--Walter Bagehot

Just saw this and thought of this thread
527993_10151085832469383_785011082_n.jpg

Public sentiment is everything. With public sentiment, nothing can fail. Without it, nothing can succeed.
-Abraham Lincoln

By the way, hospitality is not the only ones really being hurt by the swing in social media and reviews. I have relative who are professors and the colleges put a lot of weight in the student reviews of the professors! More and more the teachers are afraid to have a tough approach or to challenge the students with tough subjects because of the backlash from bad reviews.
Fear seems to be more of a part of everyday life than it used to be. Sad

Public opinion is a permeating influence, and it exacts obedience to itself; it requires us to think other men's thoughts, to speak other men's words, to follow other men's habits.
--Walter Bagehot
Madeleine said:
--Walter Bagehot
And he should have included: 'whether we should or not'! Because most do not take the time to think if they SHOULD follow or not, they are doing so blindly.

Here's another one JB sent this morning from Think Daily...
Critics
Teachers and advisors are one thing, critics are another. No matter what you do, or how well you do it, there will always be critics. You know them. People who are not happy with who you are and want to cut you down a peg or two.
What these people have to say says more about them than it does about you.
Ignore them. Keep your mind on your goals and what you want - and moving forward.

Back