Angel food cake

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
Why don't you all TELL me this stuff in advance??? Angel food cake. What the heck is it? Baked marshmallow fluff?
It oozed out of the pans and all over the oven. I swear it tried to open the oven door. It's stuck to everything.
Now I'm supposed to hack it into chunks for a raspberry fool in the morning. Well, it's innkeeper fool this afternoon!
OK, off to make the whipped topping. At least I know what that will look like!

It's the lightest of cake batters and very temperamental. The important rule is this... no oil in the mixing bowl, don't use plastic (it retains oil). Seperate eggs while cold, whip when at room temperature. Don't overbeat, don't cut on the sugar. It shouldn't expand unless someone put baking powder in the recipe, whereupon, you need a new recipe, the air all comes from the egg whites.

Out of a box. No oil. The directions warned not to use a bundt pan because it would be too small. I was too lazy to dig out the right pan so I just put the batter into 2 loaf pans (also an option). It's ok, it all scraped off the oven floor just fine. ;-)
Now I'm supposed to use a serrated knife to cut it. I just need chunks so it really doesn't matter how it looks.

Out of a box. No oil. The directions warned not to use a bundt pan because it would be too small. I was too lazy to dig out the right pan so I just put the batter into 2 loaf pans (also an option). It's ok, it all scraped off the oven floor just fine. ;-)
Now I'm supposed to use a serrated knife to cut it. I just need chunks so it really doesn't matter how it looks..
Actually, you need a serrated knife to cut it when it's cooled, or you end up making it like cotton candy, all bunched up.

It's the lightest of cake batters and very temperamental. The important rule is this... no oil in the mixing bowl, don't use plastic (it retains oil). Seperate eggs while cold, whip when at room temperature. Don't overbeat, don't cut on the sugar. It shouldn't expand unless someone put baking powder in the recipe, whereupon, you need a new recipe, the air all comes from the egg whites..
Aren't you supposed to cool the cake in the pan, upside down so that it doesn't collapse? I remember being threatened asked politely to not run through the kitchen as a child when an angel food cake was being cooled -- with the pan balanced over a coke bottle. My mother's pan didn't have those handy feet.

Now I'm supposed to use a serrated knife to cut it. I just need chunks so it really doesn't matter how it looks..
Actually, you need a serrated knife to cut it when it's cooled, or you end up making it like cotton candy, all bunched up.
Serrated knife used, all bunched up anyway. Good thing it's going in a trifle.

It's the lightest of cake batters and very temperamental. The important rule is this... no oil in the mixing bowl, don't use plastic (it retains oil). Seperate eggs while cold, whip when at room temperature. Don't overbeat, don't cut on the sugar. It shouldn't expand unless someone put baking powder in the recipe, whereupon, you need a new recipe, the air all comes from the egg whites..
Aren't you supposed to cool the cake in the pan, upside down so that it doesn't collapse? I remember being threatened asked politely to not run through the kitchen as a child when an angel food cake was being cooled -- with the pan balanced over a coke bottle. My mother's pan didn't have those handy feet.
Yes. I had them in loaf pans and you have to set them on their sides until the cake is cooled.

Trifle... leftover muffins that the guests didn't eat. :)

Angel cake is one of those items that I just buy already made in the grocery store. Let them fuss with it. Not worth the difference in taste and it's a big pain!

IronGate said:
Yeah! I have an angel food pan, and that is what I do.

Trifle... leftover muffins that the guests didn't eat. :)
GREAT Idea! Thanks

Back