Anne Anderson • For the Enquirer • December 28, 2008 - INN the news 12.28.08

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
[FONT= 'Times New Roman']Anne Anderson • For the Enquirer • December 28, 2008[/FONT]
Battle Creek Enquirer - Battle Creek,MI,USA
Kathy VanDaff, proprietor, lived in Europe for two years and said she strives to provide the perfect European-style boutique bed and breakfast experience. ...

The exterior is lovely.
Can you BOOK a room here? I cannot find a link or information on booking a room. I guess the rooms are just for the wedding events. Here is the website

Right on the home page...rooms from $135...links to rooms and prices. Did you post the right inn link?

I saw rooms and prices, no booking information, on how to book other than a phone #..
That must be it then, call to book. Don't be surprised...we know a lot of people do that. Wasn't there just a poll done by PAII asking about that? Innkeepers want to talk to the guests first. To weed out the bad ones? Won't happen, they slip thru somehow! To make a good first impression? And how many guests moved onto the next site because it was the middle of the work day and they weren't going to call? Bad first impression.

Question:
If you saw a website that focused on weddings and functions primarily, and didn't reach out to you as an individual guest, would you book there? Would you think I will end up being stuck with a wedding party going on? Just wondering. That is why I wondered if the rooms were meant for the weddings and not regular rentals? That was the feel I got from the website.

Question:
If you saw a website that focused on weddings and functions primarily, and didn't reach out to you as an individual guest, would you book there? Would you think I will end up being stuck with a wedding party going on? Just wondering. That is why I wondered if the rooms were meant for the weddings and not regular rentals? That was the feel I got from the website..
If the focus was weddings, as this website definitely is, then no, I wouldn't book. Looks lovely, but I would assume wedding parties. Now, I might book mid-week, but I would ask first if there were any events happening. The place we stayed at in VA was a wedding destination more than anything. They had a separate building for the weddings and everything. But, it was a Mon-Tues and we were the only folks there- in Sept.

Beautiful Place, especially outdoors! I do not feel this site is 'all about weddings'. Their home page lends more on the B&B business with a link & picture to the wedding page. If I were booking there I however would verify there would not be a wedding going on when I am there. When we do weddings (except for elopements) we require rental of all rooms whether used or not. I do not want anyone to feel they do not belong.
The rooms seem to be large enough but just too much 'stuff' for me.

Beautiful Place, especially outdoors! I do not feel this site is 'all about weddings'. Their home page lends more on the B&B business with a link & picture to the wedding page. If I were booking there I however would verify there would not be a wedding going on when I am there. When we do weddings (except for elopements) we require rental of all rooms whether used or not. I do not want anyone to feel they do not belong.
The rooms seem to be large enough but just too much 'stuff' for me..
That was what I thought but thought it might just be me. With that much "stuff" where do the guests put their "stuff"?

That was what I thought but thought it might just be me. With that much "stuff" where do the guests put their "stuff"?
There is quite a bit of stuff, isn't there? Sorry to say, the rooms do look like you're taking someone's bedroom who may not appreciate that fact when they return...all those 'family photos' on one table for instance. Nice to have some history, but hang it on the wall if you have to have it.
At this time of year, when I am putting the nutcrackers in each rooms, I wonder if I should just never mind. Leave the surfaces clear! But, they're so small and so cute...I give in and they sit out for December. All will be packed away this week.
We stayed at a place in VA that looked very similar to these rooms. I had to put all the pillows from the bed in the closet and pile all the knick knacks on one dresser so I had room for a magazine, a glass & my glasses on the nightstand. As it was, the mag didn't fit so I had to throw it on the floor.
We looked in the other rooms and they were similarly appointed.

There is quite a bit of stuff, isn't there? Sorry to say, the rooms do look like you're taking someone's bedroom who may not appreciate that fact when they return...all those 'family photos' on one table for instance. Nice to have some history, but hang it on the wall if you have to have it.
At this time of year, when I am putting the nutcrackers in each rooms, I wonder if I should just never mind. Leave the surfaces clear! But, they're so small and so cute...I give in and they sit out for December. All will be packed away this week.
We stayed at a place in VA that looked very similar to these rooms. I had to put all the pillows from the bed in the closet and pile all the knick knacks on one dresser so I had room for a magazine, a glass & my glasses on the nightstand. As it was, the mag didn't fit so I had to throw it on the floor.
One of my semi-regulars said on her first visit that she liked the fact that she had room for her "stuff" (her words). She comes back 3 or 4 times a year (or at least did before her step-mother died recently). She likes this town (her Dad lived just north of here until he died and her uncle was a Football Hall of Fame person) and just likes coming here. This is one place her daughter will come to with her. But it was the room for her stuff that got her coming back to here.

One of my semi-regulars said on her first visit that she liked the fact that she had room for her "stuff" (her words). She comes back 3 or 4 times a year (or at least did before her step-mother died recently). She likes this town (her Dad lived just north of here until he died and her uncle was a Football Hall of Fame person) and just likes coming here. This is one place her daughter will come to with her. But it was the room for her stuff that got her coming back to here.
gillumhouse said:
I wonder about some repeat guests...why do they come here? I know some come because we take pets, some because we have the repeat discount (but that is not something they know until they hit the 'magic' mark) and some come because of inertia...they have found a place they are comfortable, why rock the boat. The rest? Who knows. But I doubt it's because of room for their stuff! There are the few who come because they like us, and the same number who stopped coming because they don't!

gillumhouse said:
I wonder about some repeat guests...why do they come here? I know some come because we take pets, some because we have the repeat discount (but that is not something they know until they hit the 'magic' mark) and some come because of inertia...they have found a place they are comfortable, why rock the boat. The rest? Who knows. But I doubt it's because of room for their stuff! There are the few who come because they like us, and the same number who stopped coming because they don't!
OK, she likes us too. She has brought me Pfaltzgraff dishes, books for DH, sent me tea... I give her a special because we like her too. One comes here because we just let her do whatever she wants (as in clean my house - not that it needs it lol), if she wants company on the trail or bumming around - if I do not have other guests, I go. She gets what she wants for breakfast and after DH observed (when he was serving breakfast) that she enjoyed sitting on the glider with book and coffee in the morning, her breakfasts are served on the front porch. We have others that come because they feel so darn comfortable here. Others come back for the rail-trail or the stables (this has brought several 4 or 5 times).
One couple from Staten Island stopped here on the way to Nashville and again on the return. As he got out of the car on the return visit, I heard him say to his wife, "it feels so good to be home." THAT made my week!

Back