Anniversaries and Special Events for guests - Are they really that special?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are in wine country, but we've been told no B&B has ever been granted one, seems silly, you'd think they'd want to promote the industry...cash in on those sales taxes. We send A LOT of guests to the wineries!
Sometimes we give away small items like little jars of my homemade jam and postcards, or make a little goodie bag of freebies....sometimes I will serve an item on my special birthday plate and do candles on the pancake or whatever.....
Tell the person you've been told from that he/she is very, very wrong. I think you should find out your facts before posting something like this.

We are in wine country, but we've been told no B&B has ever been granted one, seems silly, you'd think they'd want to promote the industry...cash in on those sales taxes. We send A LOT of guests to the wineries!
Sometimes we give away small items like little jars of my homemade jam and postcards, or make a little goodie bag of freebies....sometimes I will serve an item on my special birthday plate and do candles on the pancake or whatever.....
Tell the person you've been told from that he/she is very, very wrong. I think you should find out your facts before posting something like this.
Excuse me, but not everyone on this site is from New York. And other States also have wine country. We even, believe it or not, have wineries in West Virginia that make very nice wine. Each State has different rules and regulations.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean no b&b in general, I meant no b&b in our town has ever been granted one, and that is a fact and yes, we are not in NY. We are 26 miles from the Utah border, we JUST started having liquor sold on Sundays and you can't even buy a bottle of wine at the grocery store here! Good luck getting a liquor license!

Oh I would never just "throw in the flowers". unless I just went out in my garden and picked a bouquet. I always did a computer generated card and a little 6 inch cake..which cost me all of say $1.50 to make. I always had them in the freezer ready to go..so it was no big deal But if they are not interested in purchasing some of your 'add on's" then the heck with them!
kiss.gif
You can get 3 nice long stem roses at WalMart here for $3 & I was doing that & putting them in a vase with the card & chocolates. But I can also get a decent bouquet that I can split between a couple of rooms in the 3 for $10 bunches. As y'all know it can add up when the garden flowers are thin and you need to have a bouquet for the check-in area, dining room table, maybe another area & then every guest room. I just need to cut back on the extra stuff that is costing me too much. (I got last month's electric bills. Yikes!) I'll put the silk rose petals on the bed for a wedding night.

Excuse me, but not everyone on this site is from New York. And other States also have wine country. We even, believe it or not, have wineries in West Virginia that make very nice wine. Each State has different rules and regulations.
gillumhouse, you're excused. But, NOBODY has a wine country like us, in NEW YORK State.

gillumhouse, you're excused. But, NOBODY has a wine country like us, in NEW YORK State.
Tell that to California and Virginia among others.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean no b&b in general, I meant no b&b in our town has ever been granted one, and that is a fact and yes, we are not in NY. We are 26 miles from the Utah border, we JUST started having liquor sold on Sundays and you can't even buy a bottle of wine at the grocery store here! Good luck getting a liquor license!
The process of getting a liquor license for a B&B can change like the weather. And, just because a property had one, doesn't mean that the local licensing authority will issue another one if new owners take over. Here, it is granted to the applicant as well as the establishment. Change of ownership requires a new application. One of our B&Bs is going through this & is having lots more hoops to jump through than the previous owners. Not worth it to me to go through it here...folks are happy to bring their own if they must have it.
There's some alcohol free stuff that I've found that is actually not bad.

Swirt, sorry, not answering that.
No problem. I can dig.
NY (most counties): Hotel Wine and Beer = $240 per year plus $100 filing fee (every year)
Hotel Liquor (includes wine and beer) =$1792 plus $200 filing (every 2 years)
In case anyone else from NY is interested, here is the fee schedule. Depending on your kitchen set-up you may be able to qualify for a tavern, club, restaurant, or catering permit in which cases the fees would be different.

trishany said:
That statement could be interpreted two ways now couldn't it. HAH!
It could be that everyone else is glad that their wine is not like New York State's. Personally, I drink Italian reds.

Ohio also has excellent wines...
And our house, in particular, has an excessive amount of whines.
=)
Kk.

OK...you're kidding, right?? I hope you are. I think that California would take major umbrage at that remark. Not to mention several other places that were making wine before New York even thought about it. I mean it's one thing to be supportive of your State & all.....

Willowpondgj said:
Willowpond, do you have a B&B permit? Does it work out for you?

Willowpondgj said:
We are not really talking liquor license here, we are talking B & B permit to serve alcohol to GUESTS only. Many states have a specific B & B permit that inns can purchase in order to just serve their own guests. They cannot SELL it. That requires a special license.

Willowpondgj said:
IronGate said:
Willowpondgj said:
No liquor sold on sundays here either (unless it is behind a shack in the woods)

Back to the original thread about extra special things we do for anniversaries - one anniv couple 32nd, left us a lovely note this morning and without going into all the details thanked us repeatedly and said this place is beautiful and so full of personality, like its owners!
I thought that was cute.

It's happened many times where I work that the people who paid for the extra things like flowers, truffles or rose petals, have LEFT them...talk about a waste of money. At least it was their money and not the Innkeepers'.

Back