Anniversaries and Special Events for guests - Are they really that special?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
I have stayed at B&B's for many years. Often for anniversaries or special events. (except for one very special stay for a special occasion this past year) I have never been greeted with anything special for our special occasion.
I was just making up a card and getting some chocolates ready and thought aloud - dang it, they are not getting special flowers - when they booked the room online it was RIGHT THERE to add on flowers and chocolates and they did not choose it, so why should I do all that for $115+tax!
I am really becoming a grumpy curmudgeon.
When we got married there was not even a Congrats! Nothing. Places that were told specifically - did nothing extra.
So just another reminder to let y'all know that you EXCEL and ARE NOT THE NORM in this business.
So even a simple something is a big deal to our guests who do not get this treatment anyplace else!

OK, here's what I think about this and I'm not exactly in the best of moods. (Yes, I did say I'd swear off the forum until next week, but I had to check the responses to the bed wetter.)
I LIKE doing LITTLE things for guests who tell me it is a special day. $2 for chocolates & a logo'd card wishing them whatever.
I would NOT give anything for free that was a package I was charging for. You will invariably get that ONE guest who pays the same day you do one for free.
One place I stayed on my honeymoon put a small champagne in the fridge with a tray of something and a card. I have never forgotten that (well, yes, I DID forget what was on the tray). It was the only place that did anything, but it was nice that they did. (I did go back there once, but then it sold.)
Has it 'paid off' in any way that I know about? No. No birthday/anniversary/wedding night guest has ever come back or even written a TA review about it. Many never said thanks. I don't care. I know they enjoyed the gift and that they felt special that someone they didn't even know made the effort to recognize an important event. And if they didn't enjoy it? Piss on them. (Oops, time to log off, the grouch is back...)

I am wondering how many guests are now expecting something these days? I never expected anything, just a little note on the pillow or something would have meant alot to me.

Yes, IF I am told the word anniversary or her birthday when the reservation is made, I get a rose for the lady, slip the card to her husband to sign and slip back to me, and put the card with the rose - from HIM! Too many jackasses confess and tuin it for her. (My favorite gift I ever gave to my Mother was anniversary flowers with no card. She accused me - no. Asked my then husband who I knew enough to NOT tell - no. She ended up believing they were from Daddy who of couse was stupid enough to deny it but that would have been in character for him to never admit doing a nice.)
If it is a birthday I also try to bake a cake.

I am not going to buy special flowers anymore...that is the most expensive part & I already have fresh flowers in the rooms. A card and a small treat ($2 or under) is plenty. I do have folks thank me & they appreciate it but I don't know if it brings us more business or return business. I could see myself getting carried away on what I was doing extra...I had to rein myself in
teeth_smile.gif

I am wondering how many guests are now expecting something these days? I never expected anything, just a little note on the pillow or something would have meant alot to me..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I am wondering how many guests are now expecting something these days? I never expected anything, just a little note on the pillow or something would have meant alot to me.
I don't know if anyone expects anything. I know some have been in tears when they saw the small gift so I'd say THEY weren't expecting anything.

OK, here's what I think about this and I'm not exactly in the best of moods. (Yes, I did say I'd swear off the forum until next week, but I had to check the responses to the bed wetter.)
I LIKE doing LITTLE things for guests who tell me it is a special day. $2 for chocolates & a logo'd card wishing them whatever.
I would NOT give anything for free that was a package I was charging for. You will invariably get that ONE guest who pays the same day you do one for free.
One place I stayed on my honeymoon put a small champagne in the fridge with a tray of something and a card. I have never forgotten that (well, yes, I DID forget what was on the tray). It was the only place that did anything, but it was nice that they did. (I did go back there once, but then it sold.)
Has it 'paid off' in any way that I know about? No. No birthday/anniversary/wedding night guest has ever come back or even written a TA review about it. Many never said thanks. I don't care. I know they enjoyed the gift and that they felt special that someone they didn't even know made the effort to recognize an important event. And if they didn't enjoy it? Piss on them. (Oops, time to log off, the grouch is back...).
Ok, this is not a biggie, but when we had honeymooners here, I did put a dozen roses in their room (cost only $6. to me), and went out back and picked my roses that were fading and pulled the petals and sprinkled them on their bed, and I made them (Home made) a Big sign that said congratulations and their names on it and put it in their room. They loved it and they did thank me for it. Will they be back?.. don't know. Will they remember it? I think so.

Oh I would never just "throw in the flowers". unless I just went out in my garden and picked a bouquet. I always did a computer generated card and a little 6 inch cake..which cost me all of say $1.50 to make. I always had them in the freezer ready to go..so it was no big deal But if they are not interested in purchasing some of your 'add on's" then the heck with them!
kiss.gif

Has it 'paid off' in any way that I know about? No. No birthday/anniversary/wedding night guest has ever come back or even written a TA review about it. Many never said thanks. I don't care. I know they enjoyed the gift and that they felt special that someone they didn't even know made the effort to recognize an important event. And if they didn't enjoy it? Piss on them. (Oops, time to log off, the grouch is back...).
Ok, this is not a biggie, but when we had honeymooners here, I did put a dozen roses in their room (cost only $6. to me), and went out back and picked my roses that were fading and pulled the petals and sprinkled them on their bed, and I made them (Home made) a Big sign that said congratulations and their names on it and put it in their room. They loved it and they did thank me for it. Will they be back?.. don't know. Will they remember it? I think so.
You are lucky you could get roses for $6!!!! Gheez never could I do that here. The cheapest I can find them is maybe $12 a doz at Costco and that has probably gone up since last year. No way would I GIVE them away.

Oh I would never just "throw in the flowers". unless I just went out in my garden and picked a bouquet. I always did a computer generated card and a little 6 inch cake..which cost me all of say $1.50 to make. I always had them in the freezer ready to go..so it was no big deal But if they are not interested in purchasing some of your 'add on's" then the heck with them!
kiss.gif
this is a little sidetrack but what irks me is when someone tells me at the breakfast table that today is dw's birthday. or worse, yesterday WAS ... and then there is dead air that i immediately fill with a rousing chorus of happy birthday ... if i have muffins or whipped cream, i plunk something down in front of the birthday person and do the song. i don't know why they wait and then seem a little hurt at no remembrance. maybe the husband JUST remembered or was JUST reminded?
i am sorry to say i have yet to be thanked for something special put in a room when i've been told it's an anniversary, birthday, honeymoon, etc. i don't know why?

kiss.gif
this is a little sidetrack but what irks me is when someone tells me at the breakfast table that today is dw's birthday. or worse, yesterday WAS ... and then there is dead air that i immediately fill with a rousing chorus of happy birthday ... if i have muffins or whipped cream, i plunk something down in front of the birthday person and do the song. i don't know why they wait and then seem a little hurt at no remembrance. maybe the husband JUST remembered or was JUST reminded?
i am sorry to say i have yet to be thanked for something special put in a room when i've been told it's an anniversary, birthday, honeymoon, etc. i don't know why?
seashanty said:
Now THERE is someone expecting something.
I went out and bought a sunflower for our mutual guests. Because they haven't seen the sun their whole vacation, I thought it would cheer them up a bit...

We always do special thing for engagements, anniversarys or birthday.
Champagne in a bucket for engagements; a baloon in the room for anniversarys, and a candel in their quiche for birthdays.

Champagne in a bucket for engagements; a baloon in the room for anniversarys, and a candel in their quiche for birthdays..
We're in the same state, how are you getting away with the Champagne service? (or is it don't ask don't tell?)
wink_smile.gif

Champagne in a bucket for engagements; a baloon in the room for anniversarys, and a candel in their quiche for birthdays..
We're in the same state, how are you getting away with the Champagne service? (or is it don't ask don't tell?)
wink_smile.gif

Have a liquor license.

We are in wine country, but we've been told no B&B has ever been granted one, seems silly, you'd think they'd want to promote the industry...cash in on those sales taxes. We send A LOT of guests to the wineries!
Sometimes we give away small items like little jars of my homemade jam and postcards, or make a little goodie bag of freebies....sometimes I will serve an item on my special birthday plate and do candles on the pancake or whatever....

We are in wine country, but we've been told no B&B has ever been granted one, seems silly, you'd think they'd want to promote the industry...cash in on those sales taxes. We send A LOT of guests to the wineries!
Sometimes we give away small items like little jars of my homemade jam and postcards, or make a little goodie bag of freebies....sometimes I will serve an item on my special birthday plate and do candles on the pancake or whatever.....
Swirt, sorry, not answering that.

Back