Another Bucketed Bed

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YellowSocks

Reaction score
We had guests hear a noise and a crash while on their king-sized bed... no problem, the slat just fell out and I popped it back in.
Next guests tell me they "flipped" their bed around... put their head at the foot, because it was sagging at the head. Turns out the slipped slat was cracked, and it sagged quite a bit in the middle on the head end.
So, two 3/4" plywood sheets and six buckets later, the bed is finally stable... Thanks to JBJ for the inspiration.
Of course, now we have orange Home Depot buckets visible under the bed...
=)
Kk.

I guess I'm missing something here.
The buckets are to elevate the bed more or something?
Or is it in case the roof leaks or the bathtub upstairs overflows. LOL
Wouldn't the box spring prevent any sagging in the middle?

Speaking of beds, we bought a California King for our honeymoon suite. It has a large full size mattress over twin box springs below. One of our first grooms was over 6 feet tall. During the night we kept hearing a sound like someone dropping a bowling ball on the floor. I thought perhaps they were just being rambunctious. Turns out that when he would sit on the bed it would somehow cause the box springs to separate and the slats to drop.
I solved the problem by putting the old mattress under the bed floating the other two on top. It cuts down on the noise and people comment on how comfortable it is.

My bed has those slats and I keep worrying when I make the bed one of them will fall out. I was going to screw them into the rails but I'm getting a new bed so this one will have to move. I'll screw the slats in once it's in its new location.
We have one bed that does not have a center post. That one has a section of PVC pipe holding up the middle. When I flip the mattresses it has to be moved back to the middle tho. If I shift the bed around, the PVC pipe stays stuck into the rug!

My bed has those slats and I keep worrying when I make the bed one of them will fall out. I was going to screw them into the rails but I'm getting a new bed so this one will have to move. I'll screw the slats in once it's in its new location.
We have one bed that does not have a center post. That one has a section of PVC pipe holding up the middle. When I flip the mattresses it has to be moved back to the middle tho. If I shift the bed around, the PVC pipe stays stuck into the rug!.
We were fortunate - our "shake-down cruise" guest managed to collapse the bed via slats coming out.
While I took them site-seeing and golfing that day, DH was upstairs with turn buckles and steel cable to ensure those slats would never again slip out. It worked because since then a quite large guest managed to tip a bench and fall into one of the 4-posts, moving it about 1/8 inch out of the foot board, but holding the bed together AND held up under a minimum or 800 lbs of guests at one time (one HUGE couple and another time two couples climbed into that bed to watch movies and eat popcorn and homemade pretzles - they called it a pajama party).

Wouldn't the box spring prevent any sagging in the middle?.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Well... it's a story from another innkeeper, so I might get it wrong. Basically a bed was in need of support and the innkeeper's dh recalled how after the Oklahoma City bombing a huge part of the building was held up by a bucket, which did not crush. So, he grabbed a bucket and shoved it under the bed and it's still there.
In this case, one slat was broken, but the remaining ones had a scary amount of give to them.... way too bouncy, and as Kathleen mentioned, sometimes large people stay in B&B's. So we were looking for a way to reinforce it and still be able to put stuff under it. So 3/4" plywood and buckets.
The box springs are split (two twins), which is how they do king beds so you can get them up stairs and in and out of rooms.
I have a photo shoot a week from Thursday so I have until then to figure out how to hide them.
=)
Kk.

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Well... it's a story from another innkeeper, so I might get it wrong. Basically a bed was in need of support and the innkeeper's dh recalled how after the Oklahoma City bombing a huge part of the building was held up by a bucket, which did not crush. So, he grabbed a bucket and shoved it under the bed and it's still there.
In this case, one slat was broken, but the remaining ones had a scary amount of give to them.... way too bouncy, and as Kathleen mentioned, sometimes large people stay in B&B's. So we were looking for a way to reinforce it and still be able to put stuff under it. So 3/4" plywood and buckets.
The box springs are split (two twins), which is how they do king beds so you can get them up stairs and in and out of rooms.
I have a photo shoot a week from Thursday so I have until then to figure out how to hide them.
=)
Kk.
Glue a skirt on each bucket. OR.. Which room? If it is the Music Department, paint them white and put some eighth notes on them. If History put part of a famous speech on each. Art Department - do an abstract and add the name of an artist......

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
=)
Kk.
Glue a skirt on each bucket. OR.. Which room? If it is the Music Department, paint them white and put some eighth notes on them. If History put part of a famous speech on each. Art Department - do an abstract and add the name of an artist......
gillumhouse said:
Art Department - do an abstract and add the name of an artist......
I know of two adorable little guys who could help you out ;)

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
=)
Kk.
gillumhouse said:
OK, I have to disagree here. I realize space is at a premium and sometimes 'things need to be done' but no guest wants to see plastic buckets and innkeeper stuff under the bed (or in the closet or in the dresser). I have guests who drop things and look for them under the bed. I don't want them to see even dust bunnies much less plastic buckets and my stuff. We're getting a new mattress set and will get a new frame for the bed that presently has the PVC pipe under it. We've had to replace several frames already because they were old and the welding was wearing out and the beds were shifting. Guest rooms are for guests and should not look like they were thrown together. Sorry, KK, if the buckets are not temporary, they should be.

It's the music... and it was our first bedroom and has no closet, just a clothes rack in the bathroom. I have plastic containers under the bed with spare pillowcases and towels.
It's going to have to be a skirt... If someone drops something and looks under there, then they'll have something interesting to see.
=)
Kk.

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
=)
Kk.
gillumhouse said:
OK, I have to disagree here. I realize space is at a premium and sometimes 'things need to be done' but no guest wants to see plastic buckets and innkeeper stuff under the bed (or in the closet or in the dresser). I have guests who drop things and look for them under the bed. I don't want them to see even dust bunnies much less plastic buckets and my stuff. We're getting a new mattress set and will get a new frame for the bed that presently has the PVC pipe under it. We've had to replace several frames already because they were old and the welding was wearing out and the beds were shifting. Guest rooms are for guests and should not look like they were thrown together. Sorry, KK, if the buckets are not temporary, they should be.
Bree said:
I have to agree. We stayed at a "B&B" in Savannah and there were clothes in a few of the drawers and stuff under the bed and Christmas decorations in the huge closet. It was weird! I don't want to feel like I'm staying in someone else's bedroom.

This may sound weird but when I stay somewhere I always check under the beds to make sure nothing is under there. In the B & B I always vacuum underneath with a hose and wand attachment because I do know that some of my guests look under there.

This may sound weird but when I stay somewhere I always check under the beds to make sure nothing is under there. In the B & B I always vacuum underneath with a hose and wand attachment because I do know that some of my guests look under there..
oceans said:
This may sound weird but when I stay somewhere I always check under the beds to make sure nothing is under there. In the B & B I always vacuum underneath with a hose and wand attachment because I do know that some of my guests look under there.
I always make sure there is nothing under the bed. I think people look there to ensure the room is clean. Sort of like in Europe where I grew up they often would check out the restroom of a restaurant before eating there. They always felt if the restroom was dirty the kitchen would be as well...!
Riki

This may sound weird but when I stay somewhere I always check under the beds to make sure nothing is under there. In the B & B I always vacuum underneath with a hose and wand attachment because I do know that some of my guests look under there..
oceans said:
I always make sure there is nothing under the bed. I think people look there to ensure the room is clean. Sort of like in Europe where I grew up they often would check out the restroom of a restaurant before eating there. They always felt if the restroom was dirty the kitchen would be as well...!
Riki
My Mom ALWAYS went to the restroom first. If there was no soap, she left. "If I cannot wash my hands, the waitress isn't either and she is handling my food."

Back