Another diet story

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeachHouse

Reaction score
Guest asks for scrambled eggs with no milk because she’s lactose intolerant. Chef’s choice of the day was banana walnut French toast, so i made her scrambled eggs with no milk. Fine.
She’s here a second day, so we went off our usual menu in order to accommodate her diet. We made egg baskets. Some with cheese and some without. For her. I put a sign in front of the buffet table pointing out that the dairy free eggs were in the back of the tray and the eggs with cheese are in the front. Even though it’s pretty easy to see the difference. I wanted to be sure she knew we remembered her.

Who can guess the punch line? Yep, she took the eggs with cheese, then raved about them and asked for more. I said, I thought you were dairy free! Oh! I just can’t have milk. Cheese is fine.

We used to get so many of those I had to really sit the guest down and say, ‘exactly what is it you can’t eat?’

I tried that with the previous one and she was hesitant to explain to me. “Just give me plain eggs.” Was her only answer. I’d rather know the issue so I can plan a menu.

I tried that with the previous one and she was hesitant to explain to me. “Just give me plain eggs.” Was her only answer. I’d rather know the issue so I can plan a menu.
I get that. I didn’t want to know someone’s trials and tribulations, but you can’t keep throwing issues at us in the morning and expecting we can pivot.

Guest asks for scrambled eggs with no milk because she’s lactose intolerant. Chef’s choice of the day was banana walnut French toast, so i made her scrambled eggs with no milk. Fine.
She’s here a second day, so we went off our usual menu in order to accommodate her diet. We made egg baskets. Some with cheese and some without. For her. I put a sign in front of the buffet table pointing out that the dairy free eggs were in the back of the tray and the eggs with cheese are in the front. Even though it’s pretty easy to see the difference. I wanted to be sure she knew we remembered her.

Who can guess the punch line? Yep, she took the eggs with cheese, then raved about them and asked for more. I said, I thought you were dairy free! Oh! I just can’t have milk. Cheese is fine.

Your guest being fine with cheese while not being able to consume milk is no surprise to me. My daughter has issues with straight up milk as well, but is fine with cheese, yoghurt and ice cream. Her doctor explained to us it is because there is less lactose in processed dairy products. There is also a difference in what kind of cheese. Soft cheeses such as brie will have more lactose in them than hard cheeses, such as cheddar or parmesan. And here I thought she was just trying to get out of drinking her milk in the morning because she didn't like it, claiming belly aches, diarrhea and gas whenever she consumed milk...

I have a YEAST free coming. Want to make bets that she's not really yeast free? That's no berries, no yogurt, no tofu, no cereal, no stock, no mushrooms, no fermented products, no ripe cheese, no dried fruits, no vinegar, etc.

I'm almost dying to send her the list of yeasted items and ask her something like "Well, these are the items that we know you can't have because of your yeast-free diet. Other than plain eggs, is there anything else you can have? Just to cut her off at the knees when she realizes we won't serve her berries and yogurt.... I bet she just didn't want bread and came up with this nonsense.

seriously. Had two at breakfast this am who we made special breakfasts according to their supposed requirements. Both then changed their tune and requested something else when we actually brought the food out. Too much! A great way to start the day 😂

I had a call this afternoon asking if I had a room available that they had motorcycle trouble but might need a room tonight. she would call back one way or the other.

Fortunately I did laundry yesterday so had my favorite sheets ready to go. Immediately went up and finished what I started yesterday and just in case, put the A/C on. They called to take the room - I had 20 minutes (I was READY!) When they arrived, I asked about diet - she is GF!!! My egg people were sick & had not delivered eggs - I am down to 4 so checked & I not only have GF oats, BUT I had picked up a GF Brownie mix & it only takes 2 eggs (1 for the baked oatmeal) so I have 1 egg to spare!! WOOHOO!!

Back