Another dismaying discovery about webervations

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PLEASE POST YOUR INFORMATION AS A RESOURCE ON A NEW THREAD UNDER RESOURCES or you will be considered SPAM. Also read the FAQs of this forum.
I would remove what you added to this thread before the owner of this forum removes you entirely.

Recieved and email reply from John. He is going to check into this Viator link and see what he could do. He said that it has been in place for a long time... (I presume he means since Webervations was purchased by BandB.) So Viator has been soliciting my guests for a while now without my knowledge. GRRR
And he confirmed my theroy as to why some of you do not see the ad, it is because Viator does not have any listings in your areas. They mostly cover major metro areas..
Fortunately we seem to be in one of the areas where there are no advertisers, but the operative word here is "YET". Having ads appear on the screen that goes to my guests from my website is totally unacceptable to me. This isn't the same thing as B&B.com putting ads on their own pages. Reservation requests come from MY website. When the guests fill in a request and get a reply they assume everything on that page has been approved by me. I do not approve of ads on my pages.
This may be the final straw for me with Webervations. I have made a couple of requests recently about very minor changes to the program that would make it better for guests and innkeepers and basically been told to go away and not bother them. (And I understand enough about programming to know that what I was asking was very very minor.) If Webervations will not remove the ads I am going to go to a different program.
Yvonne Martin
The White Oak Inn

Whoa! Sorry about all that computer-speak! Didn't show till i posted this. Anyway, you get the idea. I hope..
I just sent myself a reservation from my own website and it says the same thing - that it was sent from BandB.com. Now every reservation allocated from them is suspect. What a crock. I'm going to have to get Jeremy's Superstatz to be sure where my reservations are coming from
Riki
For everyone's info, we've recommended for years to use a third party tracking system over Webervations home-built tracking, long before we acquired Webervations. We still do. Google Analytics is free, accurate, and reliable. Webervations tracking was built a long time ago and has never changed. David Swain built Webervations to track based on a way of logging the last Webervations recognized referring site, whether that was the last click you visited or not. Somewhat like Acorn's tracker that tracks all referring sites, not just the last click, but not nearly as sophisticated or accurate as what you would get from Acorn which pays a lot of attention to tracking.
It will not provide you with accurate results, and in this day and age, there just is no reason not to use a free third-party tracking system to get accurate results. We use Google Analytics and Quantcast at BedandBreakfast.com for all of our own tracking. Both are free, and have been very reliable for a long time. A tracker like Acorn's can even give you more insight at a small cost.
But John...that does not address the issue of Webervations putting that kind of statement out to guests without the innkeeper knowing you are doing that. Inns want it clear that the reservation is from them...not bedandbreakfast.com and not advertising and promoting others without their knowledge.
does this have something to do with the set up they have selected? This was never there when I used it.

Whoa! Sorry about all that computer-speak! Didn't show till i posted this. Anyway, you get the idea. I hope..
A nice option and interesting alternative is the newcomer`s solution to online reservations and guest management software.
Have a look at http://tinyurl.com/27nzglr - there is a promotion still valid for those B&Bs that would like to experience this new solution.
Have you posted this in the Resources Section? A better place for this.....

Recieved and email reply from John. He is going to check into this Viator link and see what he could do. He said that it has been in place for a long time... (I presume he means since Webervations was purchased by BandB.) So Viator has been soliciting my guests for a while now without my knowledge. GRRR
And he confirmed my theroy as to why some of you do not see the ad, it is because Viator does not have any listings in your areas. They mostly cover major metro areas..
Fortunately we seem to be in one of the areas where there are no advertisers, but the operative word here is "YET". Having ads appear on the screen that goes to my guests from my website is totally unacceptable to me. This isn't the same thing as B&B.com putting ads on their own pages. Reservation requests come from MY website. When the guests fill in a request and get a reply they assume everything on that page has been approved by me. I do not approve of ads on my pages.
This may be the final straw for me with Webervations. I have made a couple of requests recently about very minor changes to the program that would make it better for guests and innkeepers and basically been told to go away and not bother them. (And I understand enough about programming to know that what I was asking was very very minor.) If Webervations will not remove the ads I am going to go to a different program.
Yvonne Martin
The White Oak Inn
Welcome Yvonne. From a former Buckeye...but still am at heart :)

Yvonne Martin
The White Oak Inn
Welcome!
welcome.gif

I just sent myself a reservation from my own website and it says the same thing - that it was sent from BandB.com. Now every reservation allocated from them is suspect. What a crock. I'm going to have to get Jeremy's Superstatz to be sure where my reservations are coming from
Riki
For everyone's info, we've recommended for years to use a third party tracking system over Webervations home-built tracking, long before we acquired Webervations. We still do. Google Analytics is free, accurate, and reliable. Webervations tracking was built a long time ago and has never changed. David Swain built Webervations to track based on a way of logging the last Webervations recognized referring site, whether that was the last click you visited or not. Somewhat like Acorn's tracker that tracks all referring sites, not just the last click, but not nearly as sophisticated or accurate as what you would get from Acorn which pays a lot of attention to tracking.
It will not provide you with accurate results, and in this day and age, there just is no reason not to use a free third-party tracking system to get accurate results. We use Google Analytics and Quantcast at BedandBreakfast.com for all of our own tracking. Both are free, and have been very reliable for a long time. A tracker like Acorn's can even give you more insight at a small cost.
I wonder why no comment on the reason for this post? I'd like to hear the response to the general outrage. Webervations did remove the link to advertising this morning. Asked me if I needed anything else and I replied that I need to know next time advertising or links are supplied to my guests from my website without my knowlege. So glad this was discovered and rectified.
Woops, this was supposed to appear beneath John's post from webervations. That's what I'm commenting on.

Riki
I wonder why no comment on the reason for this post? I'd like to hear the response to the general outrage. Webervations did remove the link to advertising this morning. Asked me if I needed anything else and I replied that I need to know next time advertising or links are supplied to my guests from my website without my knowlege. So glad this was discovered and rectified.
Woops, this was supposed to appear beneath John's post from webervations. That's what I'm commenting on.
Pollyanna said:
It depends on how you have the viewer formatted, what order you see things in. You may have noticed the line in the brown bar that says 'in reply to comment...' and there is a blue number after that. That's a link back to the post you are replying to in case anyone wants to trace that back and they don't have the threads set up in 'threaded' format.
(I have it set up that the newest post is first so I have to read everything backwards.)

Riki
Pollyanna said:
It depends on how you have the viewer formatted, what order you see things in. You may have noticed the line in the brown bar that says 'in reply to comment...' and there is a blue number after that. That's a link back to the post you are replying to in case anyone wants to trace that back and they don't have the threads set up in 'threaded' format.
(I have it set up that the newest post is first so I have to read everything backwards.)
I get it now! Thanks, that was helpful.

Riki
Well Polly, MINE is still (well as of 2pm) showing the ad...and I emailed them & talked to John via email. I am now very peeved. Service NOT there at all! The last issue, I was able to leave a voice mail, did they handle my problem without me having to call back, no and they did not attempt to call me either. This time the email request - nothing.
Also I was equally wondering why John did not address this topic when he posted his reply. It did take him a while to understand just what we were speaking of. I had him do a fake reservation so he could see it for himself.
Ediited to add that I will be calling them first thing tomorrow.

A nice option and interesting alternative is the newcomer`s solution to online reservations and guest management software.
Have a look at http://tinyurl.com/27nzglr - there is a promotion still valid for those B&Bs that would like to experience this new solution.
B Grunert, Please read the forum rules regarding vendors. https://www.innspiring.com/legal
Vendor pissing contests are to be avoided completely. This is not the right thread for you to be offering competing products.

Try Checkfront. We keep your customers on your site, and you have full control of the content and receipt page.
To see how it works with one of our customers see here: http://sanddollarinn.net/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&layout=item&id=61&Itemid=26
Notice you aren't sent off somewhere else, as is with webervatrions (or most). The receipt page also resides on your web page - no progamming required. Admin interface can be seen here: http://www.checkfront.com
Feedback welcome.
-Jason.
Checkfront, Please read the forum rules regarding vendors. https://www.innspiring.com/legal
Vendor pissing contests are to be avoided completely. This is not the right thread for you to be offering competing products

Try Checkfront. We keep your customers on your site, and you have full control of the content and receipt page.
To see how it works with one of our customers see here: http://sanddollarinn.net/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&layout=item&id=61&Itemid=26
Notice you aren't sent off somewhere else, as is with webervatrions (or most). The receipt page also resides on your web page - no progamming required. Admin interface can be seen here: http://www.checkfront.com
Feedback welcome.
-Jason.
Checkfront, Please read the forum rules regarding vendors. https://www.innspiring.com/legal
Vendor pissing contests are to be avoided completely. This is not the right thread for you to be offering competing products
swirt said:
We were asked by the monerator to add ourselves to the resource directly in response to our post, so we did. I don't see how that is a pissing contest.
If this is deamed inappropriate, please delete.
Thanks,
-Jason

Feedback welcome.
-Jason.
swirt said:
We were asked by the monerator to add ourselves to the resource directly in response to our post, so we did. I don't see how that is a pissing contest.
Thanks,
-Jason
Anytime a vendor promotes their product on a thread dealing with a competitors product, it leads to a pissing contest. You showing off your features, them touting theirs, them offering a discount, you offering coupon code.... and then it gets ugly. Which is why I set up rules about such things specifically for vendors like yourselves. Please read them and follow them. If you do, you get the chance to contribute here and gain exposure to a lot of innkeepers.

Feedback welcome.
-Jason.
swirt said:
Thanks,
-Jason
Anytime a vendor promotes their product on a thread dealing with a competitors product, it leads to a pissing contest. You showing off your features, them touting theirs, them offering a discount, you offering coupon code.... and then it gets ugly. Which is why I set up rules about such things specifically for vendors like yourselves. Please read them and follow them. If you do, you get the chance to contribute here and gain exposure to a lot of innkeepers.
Sure - I understand.
Cheers,
-Jason

Feedback welcome.
-Jason.
Jason, thanks for coming in on the up and up. We do ask for any vendors to place their info in our Resources section of this forum.
Thanks, will do!

I'm just wondering if there has been any new developments on this topic?.
Yes I noted above late yesterday that the problem is rectified on my site. This is about the last problem I want to see with Webervations before I'm going to find something else to do the job.

There is supposed to be a big roll out of Webervations 2.0 this fall. IF they do not get there act together very very soon, I WILL jump ship. This inattention to detail and lack of customer service and self-serving advertising is becoming intolerable. We pay for a specific service and expect that and nothing else. I guess you get what you pay for, but really.
Are you listening John?

Back