Another indication you may have too much time on your hands.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
Perhaps I am overly practical, but...seriously....who would do this?
As if I don't have enough to do....
According to todays issue of I Love Inns, 'Outdoor Beds Make Guests Laugh With Joy'.
Outdoor Beds Make Guests Laugh With Joy -

We recently visited Karakoi Pensione, a unique Palm Springs inn and loved the day beds sprinkled here and there on the property. One of those in our party sat under the trees on the day bed and read and then ran up to her room, closed the door and started laughing with joy! She just couldn't contain her exuberant feelings! The innkeepers bring the thick cushions in at the first hint of rain (not too much of that!) It could be fun in rainy weather too - with a little mini-gazebo here and there.
jpeg

Well, FD, judging from the photo of your inn, I'd say you're right that it's not an idea to consider in your area.
But in California, where we have no rain at all for 6 months out of the year, they can be really nice additions to outdoor garden areas, by the pool, or even on a guest terrace.
It all just depends on the climate. But I like them.

Even in the best of weather, I just don't 'get it'. What is the point? I surely wouldn't expect my guests to sleep on the lawn...or worse....outdoor displays of affection? I suspect the other guests might take offense.

Even in the best of weather, I just don't 'get it'. What is the point? I surely wouldn't expect my guests to sleep on the lawn...or worse....outdoor displays of affection? I suspect the other guests might take offense..
They're actually very popular in some spots here in California, generally for the reasons mentioned in your original post. Lounging, reading a book, anything like that.
If you get what a hammock is for, then this is pretty much the same thing in terms of purpose. A comfy outdoor lounge spot. Nothing more.
I know some really lovely places that have these and they're incredibly popular.

I saw that, too, and it's not practical here, either. BUT, I watch a lot of design shows and those sorts of things are all the rage in certain areas. Where it's not likely to rain everyday.
And it also helps to have a full staff keeping track of stuff. If I WANTED to work 18 hour days, there's a lot more I could do, too. I could have an afternoon tea on the lawn. I could get together guests for croquet or bocce. I could have music evenings. I could put cushions on the chairs outside even. But, I want some down time in the summer. So, after the breakfast, the rooms, the laundry, the website, the social media, the meeting and greeting, the baking of snacks, the refilling of guest amenities, no, I don't want to be keeping an eye on the weather to make sure the outdoor beds don't blow away or get soaked.
But it works for them.
BTW, if you search by the name the article published, there is no such place...
But, once you find it (not easy) you'll see rates go up to $1000. This is not a B&B. It is a resort. Why iloveinns thought it was a good representation I don't know.

Hey if we weren't a B&B I would definitely have put a day bed in my gazebo. If I could figure out a way to have a table that seats 6 and then flip it over and woosh its a day bed, that would be awesome. :)

Hey if we weren't a B&B I would definitely have put a day bed in my gazebo. If I could figure out a way to have a table that seats 6 and then flip it over and woosh its a day bed, that would be awesome. :).
Just sent e-mail with an idea.

These had been all the rage in private homes in Southern CA, out near the pool or patio areas. It is just another take on a hammock - which is ideal imo. The article is from Palm Springs, where yes they have had rain recently, but it is rare.

Looks comfy! I wouldn't want to have to be the one to remove all those cushions though if it started raining!

Looks comfy! I wouldn't want to have to be the one to remove all those cushions though if it started raining!.
Rupert said:
Looks comfy! I wouldn't want to have to be the one to remove all those cushions though if it started raining!
Me either. But the places that use them here in California don't have to worry about that 6 months out of the year.
And most of the places I know that have them are really high end, read: have lots of staff on hand to take care of that.

Wow...must be like another world over on your end of the USA!. Here it would never work, people would be fighting skeeters and picking ticks out of their hair.

Back