Another New Directory Coming

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I checked my state as well as some cities in a neighboring state. They have listed many places that are no longer open, some since mid-2005. Guess if they found a listing or a website, they added them.
Note: some of the places that are now closed still have operating websites, some may have paid several years in advance, others that have been taken over by companies using it for google ads etc.

OK, just went on again to poke around... gosh, I'm already listed? Guess I need to add a pic now... It's the first time I've seen all four local inns on one page.
So, how do they get money to do this?
=)
Kk..
My picture is up there from one of my web pages. Not one of the professional ones either, rats. I think they are working on it and it is not "live" yet.
Riki

We're excited about all the enthusiasm around Destination Nexus. It is rare for us to interrupt on an innkeeper's forum, but with the amount of feedback we have received so far on Destination Nexus, we wanted to make sure all of the questions you have posted are answered. We invite you to read over our most recent press release on Destination Nexus. The press release will provide answers to your questions:
http://resnexus.com/company/press/destination-nexus-launched.html
If you have any additional questions, please give us a call at: 801-830-1889. We appreciate all of your feedback. Thank you for time.

We're excited about all the enthusiasm around Destination Nexus. It is rare for us to interrupt on an innkeeper's forum, but with the amount of feedback we have received so far on Destination Nexus, we wanted to make sure all of the questions you have posted are answered. We invite you to read over our most recent press release on Destination Nexus. The press release will provide answers to your questions:
If you have any additional questions, please give us a call at: 801-830-1889. We appreciate all of your feedback. Thank you for time..
Hi Reservation Nexus and Welcome to Innspiring. I like the approach and the differences from existing options. I read the press release and liked everything said with the exception of this.
[h4]Starting Page[/h4]Visitors start where they live and then use the map to select where they want to go. With the present economy, more and more people are traveling closer to home. Most privately owned lodging entities claim that the majority of their guests reside in the same state.
Spiders and bots start on a different page: http://destinationnexus.com/home2.html.
This method is not going to work out as well as whoever told you it would thinks it is.

If you have any additional questions, please give us a call at: 801-830-1889. We appreciate all of your feedback. Thank you for time..
Hi Reservation Nexus and Welcome to Innspiring. I like the approach and the differences from existing options. I read the press release and liked everything said with the exception of this.
[h4]Starting Page[/h4]Visitors start where they live and then use the map to select where they want to go. With the present economy, more and more people are traveling closer to home. Most privately owned lodging entities claim that the majority of their guests reside in the same state.
Spiders and bots start on a different page: http://destinationnexus.com/home2.html.
This method is not going to work out as well as whoever told you it would thinks it is.
That was one of my peeves right off the bat. And anyone who said the majority of guests are from the same state doesn't live here or they live in a really LARGE state.

That was one of my peeves right off the bat. And anyone who said the majority of guests are from the same state doesn't live here or they live in a really LARGE state.
I agree. A 200 mile radius may be accurate, but on the East Coast that has nothing to do with in-state vs. out-of-state guests. Less than 5% of my guests are from my home state - fact is, I am less than a mile from one state border and less than 10 miles from another.

I agree. A 200 mile radius may be accurate, but on the East Coast that has nothing to do with in-state vs. out-of-state guests. Less than 5% of my guests are from my home state - fact is, I am less than a mile from one state border and less than 10 miles from another.
Here's a way for the company to resolve my issue and the issue that might arise for anyone living in a highly UNpopulated area...
Start the home page with a North America map . Have an option, kind of like Google's 'feeling lucky' button that reverts the viewer to a 200 mile radius area from their location. It could be 'Undecided? Let us help!' Or, 'One tank trips.' Or, 'One day trips.' Or, 'Close to Home.' Obviously the technology is there if it does it automatically.
But, it has to take the viewer OUTSIDE the 'home' state. You've highlighted why pretty clearly. If your ISP is in that other state, you won't get your own state, you'll get that one. (It seems.)

Here's a way for the company to resolve my issue and the issue that might arise for anyone living in a highly UNpopulated area...
Start the home page with a North America map . Have an option, kind of like Google's 'feeling lucky' button that reverts the viewer to a 200 mile radius area from their location. It could be 'Undecided? Let us help!' Or, 'One tank trips.' Or, 'One day trips.' Or, 'Close to Home.' Obviously the technology is there if it does it automatically.
But, it has to take the viewer OUTSIDE the 'home' state. You've highlighted why pretty clearly. If your ISP is in that other state, you won't get your own state, you'll get that one. (It seems.)
Morticia said:
I too live very close to another state and have a 3rd within a 200 mile radius. Most of my guests are NOT from my state either.
I am liking your ideas here Morticia!!!! Hope they come back to read them.

Morticia said:
I too live very close to another state and have a 3rd within a 200 mile radius. Most of my guests are NOT from my state either.
I am liking your ideas here Morticia!!!! Hope they come back to read them.
They have definitely culled the internet for listings. There are quite a few from out town that are no longer in business and some that aren't even B & B's. I guess anything with an "inn" in its name got picked.
I don't know how they are doing. Were they at any of the recent conferences to talk about this directory? I know they were there to promote Rese rvati on Ne x us/

Searched the forum and found this has been mentioned before. Brought this up again as I just got an email saying I can claim my listing, have guests write reviews and all that stuff. I looked at a couple of listings to see what they look like and they have some sort of 'Red Carpet index' on their site that purports to be how responsive that inn is to their guests' needs. So, the higher the number, the higher you go in the list.
One way to go higher in the list is to claim your listing and make changes to it. Really? Essentially 'pay to play', altho in one place it says it is free and in another it says it is affordable, so not sure if you have to pay or not. If you don't claim your page, and others do, you could drop down the page.
Am I the only one who thinks it's wrong for a company I don't know to take my photos and my text and then imply to those looking at the site that I am not a serious business if I don't do well in their calcualtions? And it's not objective, it's subjective. It's what DN thinks on any given day.
Some of the ways you get higher on the list are to improve your own website, have online bookings, good photos...here it is right from the horse's mouth:
Thanks for using Destination Nexus to research your next amazing destination. You have noticed that there is a Red Carpet Index (RCI) on all the businesses you are browsing. What is this Red Carpet Index? Destination Nexus rates and organizes businesses by their Red Carpet Index.
Much like Google, our goal is for the best businesses to be on the first page of their city, state and regional Destination Nexus pages. While the exact formula is confidential, the overall details are public: The goal is to have the best businesses at the top. Businesses that have great websites, amazing pictures, superb presentation, solid marketing skills, allow guests to book online from their website as well as have solid customer reviews will move to the top. The exact formula will be changing from time to time.
Every business can claim and manage their Destination Nexus listing at no charge. Every business can improve its practices and as such are in control of whether they move up or down within their area. Our Red Carpet Index is not done by a computer. As these businesses update their pictures, descriptions and content within Destination Nexus, a Destination Nexus Travel Editor is notified and reviews and adjusts their Red Carpet Index. Thus, businesses are in control of their ranking within Destination Nexus. Destination Nexus even makes recommendations to these businesses on how to improve their Red Carpet Index.
Membership is optional and affordable to these businesses and allows them to add additional content to their listing. Membership doesn't automatically award a higher Red Carpet Index. Businesses that continually make their listings within Destination Nexus unattractive and unprofessional are penalized and moved to the bottom of the rankings. While it’s not a design or beauty contest, creativity and class are rewarded.
Destination Nexus is a living product. It is constantly updating pages. It can take several days for ranking changes and new businesses to appear.
Apologies to all, I have tried editing this 10 times to make it format correctly. Hopefully it worked this time!
Questions: Have you claimed your listing? Has it helped your inn in the rankings? Is there a fee?
I will make an observation in that for my town the ranking fall right along TA reviews.

Searched the forum and found this has been mentioned before. Brought this up again as I just got an email saying I can claim my listing, have guests write reviews and all that stuff. I looked at a couple of listings to see what they look like and they have some sort of 'Red Carpet index' on their site that purports to be how responsive that inn is to their guests' needs. So, the higher the number, the higher you go in the list.
One way to go higher in the list is to claim your listing and make changes to it. Really? Essentially 'pay to play', altho in one place it says it is free and in another it says it is affordable, so not sure if you have to pay or not. If you don't claim your page, and others do, you could drop down the page.
Am I the only one who thinks it's wrong for a company I don't know to take my photos and my text and then imply to those looking at the site that I am not a serious business if I don't do well in their calcualtions? And it's not objective, it's subjective. It's what DN thinks on any given day.
Some of the ways you get higher on the list are to improve your own website, have online bookings, good photos...here it is right from the horse's mouth:
Thanks for using Destination Nexus to research your next amazing destination. You have noticed that there is a Red Carpet Index (RCI) on all the businesses you are browsing. What is this Red Carpet Index? Destination Nexus rates and organizes businesses by their Red Carpet Index.
Much like Google, our goal is for the best businesses to be on the first page of their city, state and regional Destination Nexus pages. While the exact formula is confidential, the overall details are public: The goal is to have the best businesses at the top. Businesses that have great websites, amazing pictures, superb presentation, solid marketing skills, allow guests to book online from their website as well as have solid customer reviews will move to the top. The exact formula will be changing from time to time.
Every business can claim and manage their Destination Nexus listing at no charge. Every business can improve its practices and as such are in control of whether they move up or down within their area. Our Red Carpet Index is not done by a computer. As these businesses update their pictures, descriptions and content within Destination Nexus, a Destination Nexus Travel Editor is notified and reviews and adjusts their Red Carpet Index. Thus, businesses are in control of their ranking within Destination Nexus. Destination Nexus even makes recommendations to these businesses on how to improve their Red Carpet Index.
Membership is optional and affordable to these businesses and allows them to add additional content to their listing. Membership doesn't automatically award a higher Red Carpet Index. Businesses that continually make their listings within Destination Nexus unattractive and unprofessional are penalized and moved to the bottom of the rankings. While it’s not a design or beauty contest, creativity and class are rewarded.
Destination Nexus is a living product. It is constantly updating pages. It can take several days for ranking changes and new businesses to appear.
Apologies to all, I have tried editing this 10 times to make it format correctly. Hopefully it worked this time!
Questions: Have you claimed your listing? Has it helped your inn in the rankings? Is there a fee?
I will make an observation in that for my town the ranking fall right along TA reviews..
I deleted it as Spam. Did not even look at it. Why should i have to "clain" my own business that someone else (in my opinion) hijacked. Telling the world that if I am not listed (or am not high up there). I am not a "good" place is certainly not the way to win friends and influence people. Ahem! it does sound a bit like blackmail to me. Of course, anyone can put anything they want on the Intternet I guess..
Edited to add: I just looked. I am listed but the blurb is lifted from a thing I put up several winters ago when I actually had snow. THAT must really grab people in the summer - talking about how we actually have enough snow on the rail-trail for cross-country skiing. How am I supposed to care enough to stay current on something I do not even know is posted? And I do not know it because I had nothing to do with it!

Back